Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another dwell question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Break out the spray bottle. lol

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

So I've been driving the bus for the last three days with no issues. I think that the answer may have been a short from a semi- exposed wire in the FI harness. I've not had the issue since I taped up that rubbed through spot.

Knocking on wood here...
'65 Honda Dream
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Given the way the problem comes and goes, and you have been indicating some fluctuation on the voltage on the coil terminal.

It could be worth bridging across from the battery to the coil, bypassing what might be a defective ignition switch, which is killing the ignition momentarily, or there is an almost-broken wire core somewhere in the loop from the battery to the coil.
What may be happening is that the connection welds up then vibrates free, producing an intermittent fault that clears itself or reappears when you start the engine and it jumps around more as it starts.

Another source of bucking I have found was that the centre lead from the coil would drop out, and the spark would flashover to the centre lead and on to the distributor as normal but weaker spark, or one of the other coil terminals dependent on the dampness of the nose of the coil. This led to bad idle, or bucking at certain RPM, but the vibration from the engine would cause it to even out at certain RPMs.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Drove it for more than a week with no issues.

Went to drive it on a holiday trip of about 50 miles. Started bucking about 10 miles into it. Immediately turned around and went home to switch cars. After christmas I will be fixing this BS for good.
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

You might have to pull the entire FI system and go through each piece to check it.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Same old problem. I will look for sparks tonight after dark. Tcash, I will try this test, but I've replaced the coil, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap.

I will also try the LPS-1 spray, put it doesn't seem to be wet in there.
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Could be just a broken wire somewhere. Also check the resistor pack for broken wires.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--

Last edited by 1975 Kombi on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
Could be just a broken wire somewhere

Sometimes an old wire will break inside the insulation. It looks good from the outside, but lacks integrity. Ha ole.

Aloha
tp
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Same old problem. I will look for sparks tonight after dark. Tcash, I will try this test, but I've replaced the coil, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap.

I was troubleshooting a consistent misfire on a brand new engine last month, and I swapped the cable on the offending cylinder; no change. Odd, so I replaced all the old fraying cables anyway. No start. Put the old cables back on, three cylinders are fine.

The moral of the story, is that the new plug wires didn't fit right out of the box; the copper contact that goes into the cap needs to be fully inserted into the cap, THEN the rubber boot seated. From the box, the contact piece was too far into the rubber boot to allow proper contact.

So with your new parts, you may need to check through to make sure they are jiving. I'm not saying this is your case, because it probably isn't, but you might need to start thinking outside of the box like that.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Cleaned up a ton of connectors. The double relay was pretty dirty.

The blue wire that connects to the regulator and runs the alternator light was barely connected. Could that have had anything to do with it?
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
OG Velvet wrote:

I was troubleshooting a consistent misfire on a brand new engine last month, and I swapped the cable on the offending cylinder; no change. Odd, so I replaced all the old fraying cables anyway. No start. Put the old cables back on, three cylinders are fine.

The moral of the story, is that the new plug wires didn't fit right out of the box; the copper contact that goes into the cap needs to be fully inserted into the cap, THEN the rubber boot seated. From the box, the contact piece was too far into the rubber boot to allow proper contact.

So with your new parts, you may need to check through to make sure they are jiving. I'm not saying this is your case, because it probably isn't, but you might need to start thinking outside of the box like that.

Good luck,
Robbie

Thanks Robbie, I did make sure that every wire was seated before I pulled the boots over them.
'65 Honda Dream
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

Thanks Robbie, I did make sure that every wire was seated before I pulled the boots over them.

I guess I didn't mean for you to actually check those, but just to be critical and think thoroughly through every item you touch when working on the various systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

No difference. Still bucking. Ready to drive it off a cliff...

Anyway. If I bought a new distributor that worked, could that be my problem?..
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Do you have a vacuum advance?? If so could you check the little braided ground wire that connects both plates inside the distributor.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
akscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

You may want to check your fuel system, I had a problem similar to yours. My bus would run great then run like crap and start bucking, so I pulled the fuel line and little to no pressure. So that being found, I started chasing it. went to the fuel pump and removed the line coming from the tank and found that only a dribble of gas was coming from the tank. I blew up through the hose and ended up getting a face full of gas as it started gushing out..... I dropped the tank and found a few of these round berries from some tree or something that had made its way into the tank somehow...... no more problems after the berries were removed...... it could be possible you may have a obstruction in your tank, start by checking to see if it is flowing properly...
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

akscooter wrote:
You may want to check your fuel system, I had a problem similar to yours. My bus would run great then run like crap and start bucking, so I pulled the fuel line and little to no pressure. So that being found, I started chasing it. went to the fuel pump and removed the line coming from the tank and found that only a dribble of gas was coming from the tank. I blew up through the hose and ended up getting a face full of gas as it started gushing out..... I dropped the tank and found a few of these round berries from some tree or something that had made its way into the tank somehow...... no more problems after the berries were removed...... it could be possible you may have a obstruction in your tank, start by checking to see if it is flowing properly...

My thinking is staring to head this way. I'm going to look into that tomorrow. I put some sea foam in it the other day after my last post, but I am going to change the filter and check the lines as well as fuel pressure.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

I know what you're thinking... This thread again? and no, I have not solved this problem, I have only come to live with it. It does drive just fine about 75% of the time.

I am starting to think that my issue is fuel related. It seems to run better after I add some sea foam. I am planning on checking out the tank this weekend. I have looked through the sender hole (yes, mine has an access hole cut out by PO) and the tank looks fairly clean from what I can see through the hole.

I will check the filter tonight. If the filter is clean, can I eliminate this as the issue?
'65 Honda Dream
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Ok, there is a lot of info to read here, so pardon my questions please.

What is your fuel pressure at idle? Rev the engine and does it increase with throttle and decrease with decel? When you shut the engine off, does the pressure hold for at least a few minutes?
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

What is your fuel pressure at idle? Rev the engine and does it increase with throttle and decrease with decel? When you shut the engine off, does the pressure hold for at least a few minutes?

I will get those answers tonight
'65 Honda Dream
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I will get those answers tonight

2016 Itinerary is up. I'll be happy to serve as your last option before you shove it into the Columbia River...
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: