Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another dwell question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

So it's been a couple days. Been raining like hell in Portland.

I went out and put the alternator belt back on. Tightened a bit. Started it up and took it out to test Colin's theory. It ran perfectly. No studder or bucking. I got on 2nd and 3rd hard. No problem. Let it warm up for about 20 minutes after that. Took it out again. Ran perfect. I'm feeling pretty good at this point.

An hour and a half later I jump in it to run an errand.

Same BS. Starts great. Then the idle starts fluctuating. Then the idle drops and it dies. But it will start right back up. I haven't taken it back out yet. (I had to get somewhere). I plan on doing that when I get home.

Bummed
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

So I got home and took the bus out again. I took off cold with no warm up. I ran all over varying speeds. I drove around for about 25 minutes.

It ran perfectly.

I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow. I guess I'll see what happens.
'65 Honda Dream
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Be sure to have your raincoat, AAA, and bus pass.

Best of luck and good fortune.
Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

As always, I appreciate the help from everyone. I love this place
'65 Honda Dream
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

If you haven't done it yet take the white wire that runs from the ECU to the TSII sensor and ground it out to the block once the engine has run a few minutes to warm up. Now take it for a spin and tell us what it runs like.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Opinions:

- the old distributor play, while not great, is typical, and shouldn't be causing your problem.

- the new distributor advance is bupkis - return that unit to where it came from, and request one that works.

- the points coloration is fairly normal - don't think that's the issue.

- the voltage at coil terminal 15 should be rock solid. If it's not, fix that first. If removing the alternator belt makes the voltage steady, then the alternator / regulator /interconnect harness needs attention. Do a sanity check and try a different voltmeter, to make sure you're not chasing your tail.

- sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Here's where a LM-2 fuel ratio meter would give you a quick answer, one way or the other. Without that, I'd do the following:

1) measure the fuel pressure at the test port and see if it's correct, and varies properly with throttle opening.

2) get a can of spray contact cleaner. Unplug every FI connector (including grounds, double relay, and computer), and give the contacts a good shot of cleaner. Reassemble. Look for marginal or broken wires and bent, damaged, or pushed out pins.

3) check the resistance of Temp Sensor #2, and make sure it's right.

4) inspect the "S" boot for cracks or damage. An air leak here will really mess up the engine performance. Actually, any intake manifold leak will, so check all the widgets connected to the "S" boot.

4a) inspect the 4 intake manifold coupling sleeves for integrity.

An ignition problem typically presents as a miss, or other quick engine speed variation. Fuel issues typically present as a RPM or power fade. Leanness will cause intake backfire and bucking.

For what it's worth...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

The old distributor is missing a fibre washer on the bottom I think. They usually breaks and fall out and add vertical play to the shaft. It bounces Dwell around a bit with vertical play.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
The old distributor is missing a fibre washer on the bottom I think. They usually breaks and fall out and add vertical play to the shaft. It bounces Dwell around a bit with vertical play.

It's not clear how a missing washer could do those things. The distributor shaft is under a fair amount of pressure from the anti-chatter spring. When the washer goes, the shaft will rise the thickness of the
washer, and stay there.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

F?ck.

Drove perfect to work. (About 4 miles)

Just jumped in to run to a meeting. Bucking all over the place. Totally undrivable.

Hopefully I can limp it home again in a couple hours.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

The bucking is not just under load anymore. It's sputtering at idle and when I rev it up.
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
1975 Kombi wrote:

It's not clear how a missing washer could do those things. The distributor shaft is under a fair amount of pressure from the anti-chatter spring. When the washer goes, the shaft will rise the thickness of the
washer, and stay there.

It will only fluctuate the dwell as stated. Just something to fix later.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Opinions:

- the old distributor play, while not great, is typical, and shouldn't be causing your problem.

- the new distributor advance is bupkis - return that unit to where it came from, and request one that works.

- the points coloration is fairly normal - don't think that's the issue.

- the voltage at coil terminal 15 should be rock solid. If it's not, fix that first. If removing the alternator belt makes the voltage steady, then the alternator / regulator /interconnect harness needs attention. Do a sanity check and try a different voltmeter, to make sure you're not chasing your tail.

- sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Here's where a LM-2 fuel ratio meter would give you a quick answer, one way or the other. Without that, I'd do the following:

1) measure the fuel pressure at the test port and see if it's correct, and varies properly with throttle opening.

2) get a can of spray contact cleaner. Unplug every FI connector (including grounds, double relay, and computer), and give the contacts a good shot of cleaner. Reassemble. Look for marginal or broken wires and bent, damaged, or pushed out pins.

3) check the resistance of Temp Sensor #2, and make sure it's right.

4) inspect the "S" boot for cracks or damage. An air leak here will really mess up the engine performance. Actually, any intake manifold leak will, so check all the widgets connected to the "S" boot.

4a) inspect the 4 intake manifold coupling sleeves for integrity.

An ignition problem typically presents as a miss, or other quick engine speed variation. Fuel issues typically present as a RPM or power fade. Leanness will cause intake backfire and bucking.

For what it's worth...

Thanks for all of the help here. I will be checking through these today even in monsoon Portland.

Another clue.

This problem is either present or it's not.

If it decides to run well, it runs well, with no sign of the issue. It does not seem to degrade into the problem.

If it decides not to run well, it does so from start up and does not fix itself.

I drove it to work on Thursday. It drove great. 4 mile commute, no freeway.

I get it to run an errand about 4 hours later. Bucks and sputters all over the place. I leave it on the street near work and it spends the night there. I get back to it yesterday morning and it drives like shit the half mile back to work.

I drive it home from work last night. Zero issue.
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Is the issue humidity or temp or temp/dew point related.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

I'm not yet sure if this is correct...

But let's say what if, the issue only was happening when it's raining balls outside? (been a lot of that lately) What could that mean?
'65 Honda Dream
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

My neighbours Harley had something like this and anytime there was a close temp/dew point it would coat his bike in little dew drops and run bad. So I told him to start it in the dark on different nights and sure enough he had a small crack in his coil on the bottom by the frame and in the dark on some nights he noticed a blue flame/spark arc to the frame. He replaced the coil and Bob's your uncle. Fought with it for the whole summer.

So turn everything off and in the dark and watch for anything arcing. Just another thing to check. You might have a wire somewhere that the rubber coating is cracked and arcing and will only arc when the humidity is high.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

A weak ignition system may be affected by humidity or rain.
There are many places the ignition system can be weak, but the high tension wires and their contact points are the first suspects.

As just posted, check it in the dark. Very dark.
You may see gremlins dancing around their playground.

Aloha
tp
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Opinions:

-

Could you define rock solid? The brand new coil is fluctuating between 13.68 and 13.79 at terminal 15.
'65 Honda Dream
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

If the ignition system is wet and compromised it can be dried with LPS-1 spray.

"LPS 1® Greaseless Lubricant is specially formulated to penetrate minute crevices, displace moisture, and leave behind a thin, dry lubricating film. It is the top choice for drying out critical electrical/electronic components and lubricating precision instruments."

Displace moisture are the key words. Buy a spray can or bottle and next time it starts bucking spray everything from the coil to the plugs and in between including the inside of the distributor cap, but not on the points. Also check the inside of the distributor cap for carbon dust buildup.

Here's a thread that gets a bit off track, but related to moisture and humidity.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...mp;start=0

Aloha
tp
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since electricity follows the path of least resistance. You can use a test light to find High Tension Leaks on a running engine.
Hook the alligator clip to the Battery Negative Terminal (this is the best ground) and run the probe over the plastic pieces of the coil and distributor cap. Then the plug wires.

No test light. You can use a screw driver with a plastic handle. Wrap a piece of wire around the blade (metal part) connect the other end to the Battery Neg. Terminal. While holding the screw driver by the plastic handle (if you don't you will soon know what it feels like to have shock therapy). Perform the test as stated above.

High Tension Leaks are hard to find, because they generally show up under engine load. Which means you are in the drivers seat going down the road. Sometimes you can get lucky. When you open the engine cover at night you will see arcing from the coil, cap or wires to ground.

Hope it helps
Tcash
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another dwell question Reply with quote

I will look for fireworks tonight. But of course now it's running great. Rolling Eyes

I did find a spot on the #1 FI wire that had worn through. Unclear if it was enough to arc out. I taped it up pretty good. Couldn't find any other obvious breaks.

Thanks again for sticking with me here. Very Happy
'65 Honda Dream
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: