Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 181 project pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Awesome!
So did it come out to the rear, over the frame horn crossmember with no problems? (I've not pulled a transaxle, yet....)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Awesome!
So did it come out to the rear, over the frame horn crossmember with no problems? (I've not pulled a transaxle, yet....)

It did. I supported the front of it with the jack and held up the rear by hand, rolling it back until it was about halfway over the cross member. Then I moved the jack to the rear of the cross member and continued. I had to start lowering it to get under the rear apron just as the front of it was coming over the cross member. Installation in reverse. It's a lot easier to manhandle than the engine, as you can imagine. I didn't expect to get it out and the new one in in the same afternoon, really pleased.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Awesome! I've got that same jack for servicing our bikes.. Now I have an additional use for it!! I need to refresh the paint on my tins soon.... Might have to take your lead and get it done before KTE! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Nice work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
I've got that same jack for servicing our bikes..

The pedal controls on the jack are especially helpful allowing to keep hands on the transaxle. This is the first time I've used it, it'll be handy for my small motorcycle too.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I spent an evening sanding and painting inside the engine bay. It's not as nice as many I've seen pictured here, but it looks cleaner than before.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the engine with the new 40idfs mocked up for fit and linkage work. I stuck with the push/pull linkage from the dual solexes, had to use some parts from the solexes to make it work. I had trouble with the head studs for the intakes, stock was too short but they cannot be any too long or the spark plug socket won't fit past them. I wen't store to store buying different length studs, ended up using the stock ones backed out just a little. I put my original thing shroud with the flaps back on, had to settle for a new style thermostat. That fuel regulator is covering up a damaged spot on the shroud. I didn't want to repaint the shroud trying to save the Jerry's Bug Shoppe sticker upper left.

Back in the car. I bought the carbs from Aircooled.net and paid for the cleaning/jetting service. I set the mixture and idle screws for initial startup according to the instructions, turned the key, it coughed a few times while gas pumped in, caught and shortly settled into a nice smooth idle. Impressed! I can't wait to actually tune it and try it down the road.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Finally got out for a test drive, seems to pull much better than before, for a thing with a stock size motor that is. Having to futz with shifter adjustment some I'm getting there. It's noisier than before, the new carbs "whistle" rather loudly sometimes. 59 shrieking squirrels working for me (we all know these things run on squirrels). I read about this once in a beetle thread here somewhere, I can't find it now, but I think they messed with the air filters to make it stop. Maybe it just adds to the character? Confused
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Here we go, I'm gonna do it!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Good luck with the disc brakes.
I was very happy with the improvement in stopping after I converted mine.

Still looking forward to seeing that car in person this July in Tipp City, Ohio.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Thanks, I had put a similar disk kit on my 78 beetle and it was night and day. I hope the results are as good. It definitely needs some help, one of the drums is out of round too. I messed up one of the set screws in the torsion arms taking them off, new ones just arrived UPS today so I'll be back at it tomorrow.
Looking forward to Tipp City too!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Ok, got my new torsion arm set screws in, caps out of the old arms into the new ones, ball joints bolted up, rotors and calipers on. Now for the sway bar clamps. Um, yeah, the clamps... Super large channel locks? nope. Huge C-clamp? no way. Bench vise clamped to bottom of the car? Who would do that? I swear I'm buying a porta power.

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Laughing

That's some thinkin out of the box right there!! Can't bring the part to the vice, bring the vice to the part!!

I used a C-lamp & BFH combo for mine..... Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

I used a C-lamp & BFH combo for mine..... Wink

Trust me, I wanted to hit it with a hammer.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Loll loll!! Laughing Laughing
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Some miscellaneous photos. Here's the disk kit installed. AC industries kit. I didn't use the stainless steel braided hoses that came with the kit, probably would have been fine but didn't look the quality. That's a gnarly looking bearing cap.

New rear drums.

Trying this to fix my rusted off suspension bumper. We'll see if it stays.

Thought I'd try mudflaps on the front, maybe cut down the number of rocks hitting the leading edge of the rear fender.

Welded the bolt together joints at the top of the Thing Shop roll bar to stop it creaking with body flex. Put on the Thing Shop padding set to cover my sins.

Forgot to put the hubcaps back on.

Test drive! The new brakes are EXCELLENT. Fab!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Looks great!
Can't wait to see it in person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Today's entertainment. Vintage Speed stainless steel air cleaners arrived at my door from Taiwan eight days after ordering. Really nice product, fast service! Very Happy

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I'm going for the all time record for rediculous long boring post here. If you don't lose interest part way through this you need to get out more. Here's a puzzler. The new Weber 40IDFs really run nice. They are easy to adjust, engine feels stronger than before, couldn't be happier. The problem is 15 minutes or so after shutting the car off they drip fuel seemingly from the throttle shafts between the barrels. They will drip for a few minutes then it stops, both carbs. I used the Samba search and found where [email protected] and others had said check for clogged air idle circuit, causes siphoning, and bad casting, fuel leaks into barrel. I didn't really believe either of these were it, both carbs at the same time and I chose the clean and set up option when I bought the carbs. I checked anyway, I filled the bowls and watched for leaks and I took out the air jets and blew them and the air circuit out with compressed air. I also checked the float height and it was spot on to what the Samba search said it should be. Put it back together, went for a drive, no change, drip, drip. Then I noticed after shutdown my fuel pressure climbs apparently due to heat in the engine bay. The fuel regulator is set at 2 psi, after shut down it slowly climbs as high as 4 or 5. Too high, over spec. for these carbs. Aha! I thought I had it so I devised a recirculating system that loses pressure immediately on shutting the engine off. I drilled a 1mm hole in a 1 inch length of 1/4 brass rod and put it inside a hose that I routed from the output of the fuel regulator to the input of the fuel pump. This allows a tiny bit of fuel to recirculate, the volume of the fuel pump easily overcomes this.

You know how thin a 1mm drill bit is? (hint: it's 1mm)

Brass piece is in the hose behind the dist. cap, where the extra clamp is.

This stopped the pressure climbing after shut off. I also changed the all brass needle valves for rubber tipped ones and reset the float height from 9 1/2mm to 10 1/2mm measured with the gasket on. And drum roll.... no change. 15 minutes drip, drip. You'll notice I have not yet contacted aircooled.net to ask what the answer is. I'm having too much fun beating my head on the wall. By the way they've been great express shipping me parts, they're probably wondering what I'm doing. I'll contact them eventually, at which time they will tell me the obvious solution. Anyway back to my original rambling. It was at this point that I had my second aha moment. Idea I discovered that it only leaks after running the engine up to full temperature. If I start the car and run it a few minutes, but dont let it warm up, no dripping. I also found out that while running at operating temperature the manifolds get quite hot, but the carbs stay cool to the touch, no doubt due to fuel atomizing. However after shutting down the outer temperature of the carb bodies steadily rises, peaking at about 130 degrees measured with an infrared thermometer. Too hot to hold my hand on more than a few seconds. Then drip, drip. So maybe heat is the enemy, fuel is expanding in some passage or chamber. The ups guy just dropped off heat insulating spacers, we'll see if it changes anything. Then I'll write aircooled.net and get the correct answer. Still awake?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Still awake here!! Very interesting predicament you've got there....
I see where the banging head on wall can be an addictive pattern, especially if you enjoy thinking and solving things!
I too "head bang" a lot more than I probably should, but I feel I learn a lot more that way.
I don't have a leak issue, but I do beleive my carbs are boiling the fuel out after a good drive, as the restart after a couple minutes of sitting(getting fuel, stopping for lunch, etc) is always extra cranking, compared to first cold start...

Very frustrating, especially when everyone is staring and admiring Our Thing... Then they hear the extensive cranking and stumbly start up....

I'm still trying to figure out your pressure relief gizmo.... Question
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Still awake here!! Very interesting predicament you've got there....
I see where the banging head on wall can be an addictive pattern, especially if you enjoy thinking and solving things!
I too "head bang" a lot more than I probably should, but I feel I learn a lot more that way.
I don't have a leak issue, but I do beleive my carbs are boiling the fuel out after a good drive, as the restart after a couple minutes of sitting(getting fuel, stopping for lunch, etc) is always extra cranking, compared to first cold start...

Very frustrating, especially when everyone is staring and admiring Our Thing... Then they hear the extensive cranking and stumbly start up....

I'm still trying to figure out your pressure relief gizmo.... Question

You know, I've experienced what your describing with the extra cranking. It didn't occur to me the gas was boiling away but it makes perfect sense, especially considering the post shut off temp increase I've observed. I can report the temp insulating spacers do slow down the carbs heating up. 5 to 10 minutes after shut off the manifolds were up to 150 degrees but the carbs were still around 100. Eventually they started dripping all the same though. I think I'll pull one completely off the car again and really study how it works. I did email aircooled.net this evening so we'll see what comes of that. My pressure relief gizmo simply allows the pressure to bleed off to the non pressurized part of the system when the pumping stops. It's not helping the problem, but it does remove a variable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: