Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Baja bug class 11 style build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He trimmed the stop located on the shock tower.
His Tires were too wide on the stock wheels and would've rubbed there.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too may be slightly prejudiced.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justbuggin175
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed some new mirrors cause my old ones were junk and would fold down after 55mph, I used nut zirts and grade 8 bolts

Like my broke front window in the background lol I broke it installing it lol
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you fab those up yourself or did you buy them? If you bought them, then who makes them or where can I find some?
Justbuggin175
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Did you fab those up yourself or did you buy them? If you bought them, then who makes them or where can I find some?

I bought them at mckenzies in Anaheim, ca
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:
I too may be slightly prejudiced.....

Very nice!! tire size??
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

Interesting post.......I'm building a baja now, I think I'll use 3,5" tweeds spindles and add front regulators, front 215/75/15 tire and rear 31x10.5/15.

My question is ;
To raise a little more rear suspension, until I can spend as spring plates without the bug stock cv joints are damaged?

Regards..
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

pablovent wrote:
Interesting post.......I'm building a baja now, I think I'll use 3,5" tweeds spindles and add front regulators, front 215/75/15 tire and rear 31x10.5/15.

My question is ;
To raise a little more rear suspension, until I can spend as spring plates without the bug stock cv joints are damaged?

Regards..

Bien venidos Pablo.

Encuentro unas problemas con su traduccion hasta ingles.

?Que qiueres decir con "and add front regulators"? ?Acaso quieres decir "shock absorbers"?

Y
"To raise a little more rear suspension, until I can spend as spring plates without the bug stock cv joints are damaged?"

Pienso que quieres decir "Como puedo subir el suspension detras hasta tengo sufficiento dinero para spring plates de off-road nuevo? Y cuanto mas alto sin dañar las articulaciones CV originales?"

For those who don't speak Spanish...
"Welcome Paul.
I find a problem with your translation to English.
What do you mean by "and add front regulators"? Maybe shock absorbers?"

And...
"..."
I think you mean to say "How can I raise the rear suspension? And how much higher without damaging the stock CV joints?

To raise the rear suspension, do a search for "re-index rear torsions". You should be able to grind a notch in the bottom of the spring plates. You can add travel until the shocks hit the end of their travel without damaging the CVs. The CVs will allow a little more travel, but then the shocks are a problem. I've had good results with 9" of travel with stock CVs, and others claim more than that.

But more importantly, does your car have swingaxle suspension? Or does it have 4-joint "IRS". IRS has 4 Constant Velocity (CV) joints, 1 on each side of the transaxle, and one on each side out near the brakes. A swingaxle has joints on each side of the transaxle, but no joints in the axles out near the brakes. The swingaxle should not be raised as much as IRS because the tires tuck under and the car will tend to roll over.

Your choice of tires should work well. The Tweed's spindles are much stronger than stock and will lift the ride height too. You will need to change tie rods to work with the larger holes in the steering arms.

What other modifications are you planning? It would be good to start a thread for your own car. I expect it is far more difficult to get offroad parts for your VW there.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

Hi Richard....Thanks for the translation, my english is poor......I have many years experience in vw modifications...built a sand rail my self and restaured many classic aircooleds, also dropped suspension many times... I understand your words perfectly....
But is my first Baja experience "lifted suspension", I read many post for take a good decisions..in my country not sale parts for raised suspension and find used "vw thing (Safari) parts" almost impossible!!....My choice was tweeds 3,5" and now shipping to me from USA, when I mean "add front regulators" i reffer to sold "front torsion adjusters" in the front beam (maybe will be necessary for better raised performance).
My car base is a Vw Beetle 1.6i (mexican) swing axle type (camber problems)...for improve excessive camber problem switch to IRS trans and cv joints (arms, irs adapters,etc) from stock 1303.
I have two principal questions:
-stock swing axle type spring plates was modify to IRS type (cut to irs type spring plate).....But i can keep the swing axle type covers and torsion bars?
-I want keep stock 1303 bettle cv joints, for lift a "little bit" rear suspension, is necessary modify torsion bar position, but also I can modify spring plates stop?
-when install tweeds at front, I dont understand next : "You will need to change tie rods to work with the larger holes in the steering arms"

Thank you for your help!!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

pablovent wrote:
Hi Richard....Thanks for the translation, my english is poor......

De nada senor. Soy Americano. Hablo espanol...bastante, no cada palabra. Aprendi Espanol en escuela 45 anos pasado. Acaso con su Ingles y mi Espanol, podemos hacer una junta en la mita y entender todos. Y tambien, mi teclado no tiene caracteres espanoles. Si no entiende algo que digo en ingles, preguntame y pruebo traducir al español. Si cometo un error en espanol, por favor, corregir mis palabras.

pablovent wrote:

I have many years experience in vw modifications...built a sand rail my self and restaured ("restored") many classic aircooleds, also dropped suspension many times... I understand your words perfectly....
But is my first Baja experience "lifted suspension", I read many post for take a good decisions..in my country not sale parts for raised suspension and find used "vw thing (Safari) parts" almost impossible!!....My choice was tweeds 3,5" and now shipping to me from USA,

http://www.tweedsdesigns.com/img/pages/spindles/spindles_AS-BJ.html

I was thinking that you meant these spindles for linkpin beam:

http://www.tweedsdesigns.com/img/pages/spindles/spindles_AS-H.html

But apparently your Mexican 1.6i car is ball joint. So the lifted ball joint spindles are the correct ones. They are not nearly as strong for real offroad use though.

pablovent wrote:
when I mean "add front regulators" i reffer to sold "front torsion adjusters" in the front beam (maybe will be necessary for better raised performance).

pablovent wrote:
My car base is a Vw Beetle 1.6i (mexican) swing axle type (camber problems)...for improve excessive camber problem switch to IRS trans and cv joints (arms, irs adapters,etc) from stock 1303.

I have two principal questions:
-stock swing axle type spring plates was modify to IRS type (cut to irs type spring plate).....But i can keep the swing axle type covers and torsion bars?

Yes! You can keep the swingaxle torsion bars and torsion caps. No problema.

pablovent wrote:
-I want keep stock 1303 beetle cv joints, for lift a "little bit" rear suspension, is necessary modify torsion bar position, but also I can modify spring plates stop?

You will need to take the spring plates off to cut them. You CAN cut them while they are in the car, but it is far more difficult to do a good job. When you take the torsion caps off, mark the end of the spring plate and torsion bar to each other with paint or a chisel mark. Then when you pry the spring plate off the stop, Do NOT cut them with a torch. An abrasive saw or a band saw works. Finish smoothing them with a hand or belt grinder. Avoid getting them hot. It weakens them. Since you need to take the spring plates off to cut them, you can set them where you like when you put them back in the car. I suggest that you assemble it without the torsion bars. Then jack the car up to where you want it to ride, and measure the angle of the spring plates for reference. Then take it back apart and assemble it with the torsion bars set as they were originally and bounce the car to re-settle the torsions. If the ride height is not what you want, measure the spring plate angle and compare the angle with what you measured before without the torsions. You can adjust the spring plates and torsions to change the angle to match what you want.. Driving the car for a while will make the torsions settle down some. So it is best to set the torsions a little high.

pablovent wrote:
-when install tweeds at front, I dont understand next : "You will need to change tie rods to work with the larger holes in the steering arms"

I thought you were installing the linkpin spindles shown above. They have larger tie rod end holes in the steering arms for use of bigger stronger Ford pickup tie rod ends. But the ball joint lift spindles use stock steering arms and stock ball joint tie rod ends.

pablovent wrote:
Thank you for your help!!
Otra vez...De nada!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

Exacto , yo tambien aprendí algo de ingles en el colegio hace mucho tiempo atras, y ahora escribo ingles con la gramatica del español, pero creo que tengo buena ortografia, lol. Su español es bueno, muchas gracias.

Sorry was my mistake not said "front beam ball joint type".

I will have to install 1303 speedo cable and sure will have to replace the brake rubber lines hose for a longer alternative.....

Very clear info...

Happy holidays!!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

!Feliz Navidad!
SoCalBajas Member
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

Is the engine stock?? If so are you going bigger?
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

pablovent....tires on my 11 car are....215/75 R 15 BFG All_Terrain TA's on "stock" VW Marathon wheels Exclamation Exclamation

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:
pablovent....tires on my 11 car are....215/75 R 15 BFG All_Terrain TA's on "stock" VW Marathon wheels Exclamation Exclamation

very nice!!...........31.10.50x15 rear tires is Too big with 1303 tranny (3.88 r&p)?
Justbuggin175
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Baja bug class 11 style build Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Is the engine stock?? If so are you going bigger?
Yes motor is stock and i wanna see how it does with the biger tires for now then ill bore it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: