Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Great work. Nothing wrong with leaving he body for a while before painting. Repairs always shrink back for a while after the initial repair is done leaving pock marks on the body. I like to leave the body sit for a few months before final paint and let it cure. Driving around and letting it bake in the sun for a summer is the perfect opportunity to let your repairs cure and settle.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

went out last night again and did some final welding on the pans, figured i might as well do that before the body goes back on

no pictures sorry all
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

got most of my welding all completed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

But i do have a question to all the past builders and current builders

i have welded the pans which are custom as you can see, on the top all the way around.

do i need to flip the frame over and weld in the pans from the bottom side as well???

thanks in advance
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:

i have welded the pans which are custom as you can see, on the top all the way around.

do i need to flip the frame over and weld in the pans from the bottom side as well???

thanks in advance

Personal choice.

It will not add any additional strength. I weld from the top, then flip over and right before paint, seal the seam with Automotive lap or joint sealer. This way water does not get in the gap and cause rust problems down the road.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

thanks in advance

Personal choice.

It will not add any additional strength. I weld from the top, then flip over and right before paint, seal the seam with Automotive lap or joint sealer. This way water does not get in the gap and cause rust problems down the road.

thanks Joe
i wasnt really thinking about welding it but thought about it.
i like the idea of seam sealer thou
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

ok so another question for the masters on here

i have this tar type stuff on the tunnel of my frame. how do you get that crap off?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

That stuff flakes off real easy when it is cold. I used a long handle gasket scraper to get the big parts, then a wire wheel to get the remnants. Heat will just make it a sticky mess.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
That stuff flakes off real easy when it is cold. I used a long handle gasket scraper to get the big parts, then a wire wheel to get the remnants. Heat will just make it a sticky mess.

Same Process I use. Just add elbow grease.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Ok so I need more help, well more like clarification

i want to soften/lower the front of my buggy, like many others i am cheap, i want to just cut a couple of leafs. so my question is do i just cut 1 leaf on either side of the pack. the small leaf. or should i remove a wide leaf from another pack and cut it and put that one in. this is what my pack looks like. i do have 2 extra sets of packs so i can do multiple things

Also do i remove the bump stop, the red thing,. and if so should i cut off the ear where it goes?

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

It looks like the arm has been hitting or probably riding on the top of the stops. This should diminish when you soften the front end. The front should drop some when you remove some spring, so need need to cut off the stops.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
It looks like the arm has been hitting or probably riding on the top of the stops. This should diminish when you soften the front end. The front should drop some when you remove some spring, so need need to cut off the stops.

oh yes it has been riding there.
with my 230 lb ass i cant make it bounce thats why i want to soften it. i have 2 sets of shocks that are just cheap one so its not that.

also thou for the knowledgeable people how do i take out the up and down play from the link portion. i figured how to adjust for in and out but the on has alot of side to side
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

well i took the plunge to soften/lower the front of my buggy. took a set of leafs from another front end and cut the small leafs out. then took another set and took out 2 wide leafs and cut each into 6 pieces, wound up about 6 inches each.
then welded the newly cut 6 in pieces to the other spring pack, making sure i clamped it in both directions to try to keep as much squarness i could. must have worked cause after i cleaned the weld up everythng slipped back together with no additional grinding

heres some pics

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

So got another question

the shifter that was in my pan seemed to be a little weak, when i say weak i mean small felt like i could bend it if i hit the shift wrong.
one of my parts cars has this shifter in it and i took it out and installed it into my pan.
here is the question.
is this shifter a performance shifter or just a better one?

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Looks like a type III shifter with a quick shift kit. Should work good if you got all the pieces in the right place.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Looks like a type III shifter with a quick shift kit. Should work good if you got all the pieces in the right place.

Mike T

there is a right and a wrong way???
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Yes reverse lock out wont work right if you have that thin piece in the wrong way.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I was actually addressing the quick shift kit parts. See that aluminum diamond shaped spacer? That is not part of the stock type III shifter. it is an aftermarket kit to reduce the throw of the shifter. Works well, I have used them for decades. There are 2 parts to that kit. the aluminum diamond spacer and a small half ball shaped thing with a hole in it that slides over the shifter shaft. It's hidden in your pictures. Both work to raise the fulcrum point and you get a nice sporty short throw shifter experience...

And as Glasser pointed out that thin plate's position is very important. Out of 4 possible choices only one is correct.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

You welded on the front leaf springs where they flex? I've cut down front torsion bars before but I made the filler pieces just slightly longer than the square retention blocks on each trailing arm and center (you can see the held length in the wear.) I then tacked the cut pieces onto the leaf below only in the area where the bars don't twist under load. I did taper the cut ends like you did, that makes installing them much easier.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You welded on the front leaf springs where they flex? I've cut down front torsion bars before but I made the filler pieces just slightly longer than the square retention blocks on each trailing arm and center (you can see the held length in the wear.) I then tacked the cut pieces onto the leaf below only in the area where the bars don't twist under load. I did taper the cut ends like you did, that makes installing them much easier.

i just did what i thought was right. i read some where that the piece you need should be about 8 inches. but i used a old leaf and cut it into equal length. i guess we will see what happens if i did something wrong it should show up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: