Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any cyclists here?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived in Houston safe and sound today. 17day tour. 1500 plus miles. At least 7 centuries. Met cool people and saw cool sights and feeling healthier and happier. For anyone who hasn't done a long ride, I highly recommend it.

Safe travels to all whether by bike or vw or other means!
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott R1 Addict here. Bought it in 2009 - first year of sram red I believe. Bike is great.Just a tad over 14 pounds. Last year was 3000 miles. This year I helped my son redo his house so the miles are down. My average speed for 11,840 miles is 19.2 MPH. I'm 64. I really enjoy riding with my son. He humbles me as he is a CAT 1 and rides for Clif Bar on their A team. Got some Enve 6/7 wheels last fall those are trick. My longest ride is 107 miles in 5.5 hours with 4150 feet of climbing and average speed of 19.1. You guys on Strava?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
My average speed for 11,840 miles is 19.2 MPH.

Serious speed.

I'm on Strava. https://www.strava.com/athletes/1831344

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an old guy. My son does crits and their average speed for 90 minutes is like 31 + MPH. Those races are intense. He raced TOAD last year and I watched a live feed. Lots of crashes but fortunately he did OK. He dreamed of going pro but instead used his Masters in mechanical engineering. I'm very happy about that. He still races and blows my mind how fast those guys are. I was invited to a family and friends ride put on by Cif and Capo in St. Helena with his team last May. Needless to say I was the oldest guy there among a bunch of Cat 1's and 2's. We rode 55 miles and climbed 3600 feet. I wasn't always last. My average speed was 18.4. Fun day and glad my son wanted to spend the day with me.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strava https://www.strava.com/dashboard?feed_type=my_activity
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 51' CWC Western Flyer Roadmaster.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Montague folder.

Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That road master is way cool the year I was born.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Giro Synthe MIPS

You can never be too safe.

Nice looking helmet!

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe how light it is compared to my previous helmet.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading into the end of my season... it sucks because I'm only 162 miles shy of my 3K goal. Weather is turning quickly, deer season is here, I bought a house, so packing and moving. I'm hoping to get a couple more warmer days to knock it out. I managed to knock out 4 Century rides this year. Not bad for a guy who's longest ride was 40 miles before I started training for the RAGBRAI. I did the MS 150 which was 100 miles out and 40 back. What a great ride too! The organizers took great care of the riders and made sure there were SAG stops every 10 miles. I also completed my last Century doing the Tour De Bass for Mercy Hospital... another ride they really take care of the riders. Now if I can manage to not sell this bike just so I can upgrade. Razz My season will only end on the road, I'll still be using my trainer when the snow and ice hit the ground. I'm looking to buy a Wahoo trainer this year. Cool

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

99% of my riding is on my road bike but today I had to run some errands so I took the MTB out. While cutting through a parking lot I went down at 16mph hanging a left... it was on damp black top. Landed on my left side. I was a bit stunned but quickly got up realizing I smacked my head. I moved the mike to the side and examined myself only finding some road rash and a cut on my right hand. Then I realized I lost my glasses and went to recover them. Finally i took my new helmet off and found it someone banged up. After a few minutes I got back on the bike to find the handle bars twisted so out came the multi-tool. I have the bike a quick once over and headed home.

It's now about an hour later and my neck and left shoulder are pretty stiff. I have some road rash on my left shoulder and left leg. Minor damage to the bike, just a few scrapes and tweaking the handle bars. My cell phone was in my pocket and the back has a few scrapes. My glasses are unbroken, but needed some straightening. And the helmet has a few small dents.

I'm lucky, it could of been much worse.

Little did I think that MTB tires don't have as much grip on damp blacktop as road tires. D'oh.

The helmet is a brand new Giro Synthe MIPS. I felt my head it the pavement but it was sort of "soft", not a hard bang. I guess the MIPS really made a difference. I'm not sure if I should continue using it... i'll contact Giro and my LBS. SAFETY FIRST. If I have to buy another, it will be money well spent.

2 hours later......

I took the helmet to the LBS and after a close examination you can see the outer shell is separating from the EPS foam. Of course they didn't say it was OK to use... too much liability on their part. But I know one of the guys well and he said not to use it. After talking to one of the managers they told me Giro has a crash replacement program which is 30% off (that's what I originally paid for it) and the LBS would take another 20% off. So i'll be getting a new helmet for 1/2 price.

I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the helmet because if I wasn't wearing it, i'd be laying in the hospital. And getting a new one at 1/2 price makes my wallet happy.

I'm thrilled that Giro has a crash replacement program. And MIPS are well worth the extra cash in my mind.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

Glad you are OK Glenn. I went over the handle bars once on my mountain bike years ago right after i finished riding on the trails and hit the pavement! scraped up the handlebars and had a cut on my elbow. And yes that could have been worse.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

I have gone down 2 times and hit my head each time. I broke my Giro helmet each time. Last one was at 22 mph and the helmet broke in 5 places. As light as those helmets are they are fantastic at preventing injury. I would just replace the helmet Glenn as I'm sure Giro will recommend the same. In fact I read the insert in my last new helmet and Giro recommended replacing helmets every 3 years even if you haven't gone down.

As far as your neck you might want to see a good DC and get your head put back on straight especially if your headaches and neck pain continue.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

X3. Glad you're okay Glenn, and glad you don't scrimp on helmet safety. I replaced the ATB tires on two of my Mtn Bikes with street tires because of what you found- better wet traction for the riding I more often do. I just don't dirt ride as much anymore- so my percentage is less than 5% now. Your collar bone must be made of steel already.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The helmet is a brand new Giro Synthe MIPS. I felt my head it the pavement but it was sort of "soft", not a hard bang. I guess the MIPS really made a difference. I'm not sure if I should continue using it... i'll contact Giro and my LBS. SAFETY FIRST. If I have to buy another, it will be money well spent.

2 hours later......

I took the helmet to the LBS and after a close examination you can see the outer shell is separating from the EPS foam. Of course they didn't say it was OK to use... too much liability on their part. But I know one of the guys well and he said not to use it. After talking to one of the managers they told me Giro has a crash replacement program which is 30% off (that's what I originally paid for it) and the LBS would take another 20% off. So i'll be getting a new helmet for 1/2 price.

I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the helmet because if I wasn't wearing it, i'd be laying in the hospital. And getting a new one at 1/2 price makes my wallet happy.

I'm thrilled that Giro has a crash replacement program. And MIPS are well worth the extra cash in my mind.

Any time a helmet hits the ground while worn it should be replaced. Most helmet manufacturers have a crash replacement policy, some even request the helmet back with a description of the accident. They should also be replaced every few years because exposure to the elements and your sweat will degrade them over time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the helmet because if I wasn't wearing it, i'd be laying in the hospital.

Or worst yet you might be 6 ft under. Smacking your head on the pavement can be a game ender. Good for you on wearing a helmet. I do all the time when riding.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

With the warmer than usual weather I decided i needed a foul weather bike so I can extend riding for a few extra months. After watching ebay and craigslist for a few weeks I found this that was locally. It was more than i wanted to spend but I figured i'd low ball the guy and see if he accepts....

He did. I paid less than 1/3 the original price and it barely has any miles on it.

That makes 3 bikes so far.

Quote:
Rule #12

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

That's an awesome foul weather bike, much better than most of our fair weather bikes. Glad you were able to get such a great deal on it.

Here was were my bike ride ended up yesterday......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

Where's that?

With the warm weather, i'd stay off the ice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any cyclists here? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Where's that?

With the warm weather, i'd stay off the ice.

Pontoosuc Lake in Pittsfield, MA The ice is solid enough in most spots, it had cracked and boke apart in this section, a thin sheet of ice had formed over the gap and was very hard to see until I was right in front of it, then right through it.
I split my lip open when I smacked down on the ice but was able to fish the bike out and ride it home. A very cold ride being 25*F and soaking wet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: