Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power window relay
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Power window relay Reply with quote

I'm curious what relay is for the power windows. I thought it was the one marked 24 but the wires don't seem big enough for power windows. My windows randomly stopped working this morning. Fuse 12 is good, and so is the metal fuse above the panel. I've heard the relay chatter before so I'm thinking that may have gone south. I have no power at the window switches. Which relay is it ? Thanks !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn on your key, hold the window button down and open and close door as you do.

Does it work.
If so fix the wires feeding the door.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but that was one of the first things I checked. All good there. Which is the relay so I can check for 12v there ?
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it would be what looks like number 24 you are showing. (Usually ...) It is mounted on top of the fuse panel, not in it, and it has one red (or red and black?) wire going to the large metal fuse (which I do not see), one red (or red and black) going to a power source, one brown for ground, and one black and yellow, to switch the relay on with the X-circuit, from the G pins on the back of the fuse panel.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the driver side panel off as I had power where it enters the door and not at the switch. Someone along the line cut and spliced a bunch of wires in the door that are all corroded now. I'm pretty good at soldering but I think I'd be better off starting with a better harness. I've placed a wanted add in the classifieds. Thanks for the help.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1770508
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread, hoping someone has some input that would help me with some t/sing. My windows have been working fine, the wires in the door are good as i went thru all of them last year. So they were working fine on monday, and when i went in to roll them down tuesday they would not work, neither of them. I figure it was a fuse so i checked the basics (before i know it was relay/fuse 24.) As i grabbed the #24 relay, I noticed that the metal fuse that sits on top (I believe its a 20A) was extremely hot. I couldn't even grab it bare handed, had to use pliers. What would cause this? I havnt dissected the metal fuse yet to see what it looks like inside, wanted to reach out for advice first.

Thanks for the help,
Keith
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

I think those metal fuses reset when cool. You might want to do a continuity check on it before dissection.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

Ok Ill do that when I get home. Thanks for getting back to me. One thing I havnt done yet is put it back while its cooled and try the windows again. Guess that would at least tell me if it were a fuse/relay issue.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

If anything is getting hot you might have a wire or so other part of the system grounded out somewhere.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

The relay is a load reduction relay. It shuts down the power when you use the starter.
Most people think the relay is used for window operation, it's not. There is a Resetable circuit breaker as well as a fuse in the system.
Your problem sounds like a bad ground or broken power wire.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

I think the relay is downstream from the load reduction relay: the black/yellow from the load reduction is the trigger, and it gets power directly from the P connectors on the fuse panel. Triggering with the black/yellow makes it not powered (or triggered) unless the key is on, and the load is not reduced.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

The load reduction relay, the power window relay, and several others are triggered by the "X" circuit.
afrank97306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Power window relay Reply with quote

This is good timing. I'm going through the same thing with my 90 Westy. The driver side windows intermittently stopped working. My passenger side switch works fine but there is no power to the driver's side hence neither switch works on that side. I powered the motor and it works both up and down for both switches. I don't like the idea of trying to find a broken wire somewhere in the door so my question is: is there any chance that replacing the relay could fix this? That seems like an easy quick first attempt. Could the resetable circuit breaker make only one side not work or does the fact that the passenger side works and the driver side not mean this has to be a broken wire?

16CV's wrote:
The relay is a load reduction relay. It shuts down the power when you use the starter.
Most people think the relay is used for window operation, it's not. There is a Resetable circuit breaker as well as a fuse in the system.
Your problem sounds like a bad ground or broken power wire.

Stacy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: