Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Goer a jeep shop for the safety and do it yesterday as the rules are drastically changing next week .
manxbugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Found a local guy who will do the safety. He's checking it today and will let me know what needs to be done. At the moment, I'm just trying to get enough to get plates (Insurance through Allsate - Luke in Waterdown).
I should know this afternoon if it's a go!!
manxbugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

manxbugguy wrote:
Found a local guy who will do the safety. He's checking it today and will let me know what needs to be done. At the moment, I'm just trying to get enough to get plates (Insurance through Allsate - Luke in Waterdown).
I should know this afternoon if it's a go!!

Hi - sorry I haven't updated.
Luke at Allstate will insure the buggy.
The guy I had the car at for touch ups and inspection "wants" to work on it but isn't that familiar with the older volkswagens. I spoke to another shop in the area who is very older volkswagen friendly and will take the car to him tomorrow morning.
I'll report back as soon as I know.
#fingerscrossed
Albertabuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Just put mine on the road in Alberta. Through Intact. No issues.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Good to know AB. Cool
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
GregKilpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Manxbuggy what did your ownership say ? I am insured for my daily through Allstate and they won't touch my Empi Imp ! It's titled as "71 DUN "
manxbugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

GregKilpatrick wrote:
Manxbuggy what did your ownership say ? I am insured for my daily through Allstate and they won't touch my Empi Imp ! It's titled as "71 DUN "

I think it says 58 DUN - not 100% though. Call Luke and see what he says. If that's the case and he's messing with me.... grrrr

btw - on the safety front - there was a lot of work to do and I think the mechanic was getting stressed out - couple days before the long weekend and they were swamped. I may end up using him for a couple of "minor" things and the safetly.
I've been swamped with house stuff and new job stuff and the buggy has bee sitting since Sad - still hope to get it on the road this year.
PR_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Those of you who have given updates, thank you very much. I've been going through the same headache as you guys trying to find insurance, while I'm midway through sanding the body for paint. I'm going to try those leads now. Thanks again guys.
t3sters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Maybe this helps. I use Rally insurance and here is a post a guy in the Texas Dune owners group made up.

Because Dune Buggies are funky little cars, they are not always easy to find insurance for. But there are a few agents that are willing to work with you, I got this quote from Kelsey Bell of Rally Insurance Group Inc. (www.rallyinsurance.com or 630-617-9960). I have found that a Agreed Value Policy is about the easiest policy to obtain. A Agreed Value Policy is where you and the insurance company come to an agreement on what your Dune Buggy is worth. Basically, they ask you what you feel the car is worth in the event of a total loss & then they will charge you accordingly. In my opinion they are just insuring a dollar amount you come up with, not necessarily a specific car. Either way as long as you make the yearly payment, you are covered for whatever dollar amount you come up with. So that you can get an idea of what a Policy looks like I show you the estimate I was offered in hopes that it will help.

The Coverage Description

Only my wife and I will be covered to drive it as insured drivers.

I agreed that we would drive it 3000 miles or less a year.

Car has to be kept in a garage

Bodily Injury Liability - $100000/$300000

Property Damage Liability - $100000

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury - $100000/$300000

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage - $100000/$250

Personal Injury Injury Protection - $2500

Nationwide Roadside Insurance - $200

Spare Parts - $2000

Trip Interruption Coverage - $150/$600

The Aggreed Upon Value - $12,000

Total 12-Month Policy Premium: $252
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

This thread should really be changed to Ontario Dune Buggy Insurance as this is a provincial issue and not a country issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PR_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

[UPDATE]

vwlover123 wrote:
So I had the same issue.
7 years working on my buggy.
Ownership is in my name.
Certified
Plates

My insurance broker said no after receiving photos even though it is licenced as a beetle.

Called everyone listed Haggerty, Lant etc.

Finally walked into Allstate with a photo and said can you get me insurance on this.

No problem.

Go see Lucas at Allstate in Waterdown.
Convertibles, roll bars, kit car all good.
Just need an appraisal to be fully covered.

FYI under 100 a month.

Lucas no longer works for Allstate. I know this because I just contacted him and he forwarded my information to another insurance rep. For those of you in Ontario, contact:

Julia Thomson
Agent
Allstate Insurance Company of Canada
94 Dundas St. E., Unit B3
Waterdown, ON L9H 0C2
[email protected]
Office: (905) 690-2811 Ext: 5013

MAKE SURE you have no recent (within the past three years) at-fault accidents or else Allstate will not cover you. She didn't mention anything about Allstate not being able to insure our buggies any time soon, but if I were any of you, I'd get on it now. Good luck!!!

syncrobuggy1 wrote:
This thread should really be changed to Ontario Dune Buggy Insurance as this is a provincial issue and not a country issue.

I agree with this.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

syncrobuggy1 wrote:

Thankfully, I had no problems getting insurance for my recently purchased buggy (British Columbia).

B.C. (government insurance) will no longer insure vehicles worth more than $150,000.
Thankfully, my dune buggy is worth slightly less, so I'm in the clear. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrflew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone in Ontario has been able to get insurance in the past 6 months. I keep running into a dead ends. 67 Manx that I have had off the road since 2011. Now the kids are a bit older I have time to drive it again. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get insurance.
'70 Airloom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Hey Mrflew,

I had the same issue a couple years back, per my post on page 2.

I could only get facilities insurance through a broker, which is still the case. When I renewed this spring, I asked my broker to look into alternatives again. Apparently they had just looked for someone else in Ottawa with a buggy...only insurance available was facilities. I called a couple other brokers to be certain and got the same answer.

Let me know us know if you find an alternative!

Good Luck!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Albertabuggy wrote:
Just put mine on the road in Alberta. Through Intact. No issues.

I believe this is the buggy I now own, I too am insured with Intac and had no issues adding the buggy to my policy. No inspection asked for yet...
PR_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

MrFlew and 70' Airloom....

Did you two not see my post above regarding Allstate insurance? Give them a try. The last time I checked, they were still providing insurance. I have to wait until next June before my record clears. I'm also doing a rebuild so I have to wait anyway. With any luck, Allstate won't cover them anymore and I'll be screwed. Get on it NOW... Good luck.
mrflew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

PR_Buggy wrote:
MrFlew and 70' Airloom....

Did you two not see my post above regarding Allstate insurance? Give them a try. The last time I checked, they were still providing insurance. I have to wait until next June before my record clears. I'm also doing a rebuild so I have to wait anyway. With any luck, Allstate won't cover them anymore and I'll be screwed. Get on it NOW... Good luck.

I spoke with Julia from Allstate. Unfortunately same answer that they will not insure a dune buggy based on the VIN and description of the vehicle. Looks like I may have to look at the expensive facilities insurance route or sell the buggy I have owned for 20 years Sad
YellowBug1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Anyone have updates on the insurance for these in Ontario? Going through the ringer now with my newly purchased VW bug.
YellowBug1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Have insurance and had to go through Facility as other have mentioned. Nothing else would take us...
2088bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

you are absolutely correct facility is the only game in town and that's if your broker will place it the days of kit cars and dunebuggies are over here in Ontario my berrien is still on the street for the moment but even my facility insurer is starting to wobble a bit

I don't want to say its a lost cause my broker is zehr BUT! all my business is there I think they may have grandfathered me
if trying to get insurance the last words out of your mouth should be dune buggy a definite no no go with kit car but your title will have to have the word kit in it

and the other thing to be aware of if you have a title that says example 1968 volkswagen beetle and you do manage to get insurance (but everybody wants pictures now adays) don't try that have a friend who insured his berrien rail that way

he went to make a claim the insurance would not pay because he had misrepresented what he had they also thinking of charging him with fraud at the moment

my car has been on the road since 1985 it is the only rabbit motor powered street legal sand rail in all of Canada also the highest mileage car but I fear my time is coming to an end my car is going up for sale in new York state
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: