Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Another great find/ buy for my project ~ I found a brand new, complete Dakota Digital gauge cluster/ set for my car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paid $200.00 less than they go for online too !!!
I wanted to go with a tach, oil pressure and temperature gauges and an ammeter, so I started looking around and found it difficult to get the right, matching pieces that would all fit in my dashboard without hacking the crap out of it and with the senders and wire, the cost would end up being prohibitively high.
While I'm not the biggest fan of digital gauges, this setup has *everything*, including an option for outside air temp and compass indicators, which I'm considering purchasing as well.
It's clean, complete and pretty much plug and play! It's going to save me a little $$$ and a quite a bit of aggravation going this route ! Smile

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

FINALLY, MY ENGINE IS COMPLETE ! (well, ALMOST complete, LOL !)

Some specifics for my 1776 engine:
Counterweighted crankshaft, balanced rotating assembly, Engle 110 cam, 1.25:1 ratio rockers, Weber Redline ICT carbs, Autolinea heads with phosphorous bronze guides, stainless valves and dual springs, Type 4 oil cooler conversion, full-flowed case, stainless Empi J-tubes, ceramic coated Tri-Mil hotdog header/ muffler and a Kennedy Stage 1 1700 lb clutch to hook her to the pavement right !
Now I have to figure where and how to mount and plumb the remote oil filter, where and how to mount the breather box, how to plumb the fuel lines and vacuum lines and how/ where to route the wiring... : d'oh!
Pretty happy with the results so far....!

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Looking good! FYI those hotdog mufflers look cool, but do nothing for power. When you want more power (not if, when. It will happen Laughing ) start with that exhaust, then get some dual barrel carbs.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Looking good! FYI those hotdog mufflers look cool, but do nothing for power. When you want more power (not if, when. It will happen Laughing ) start with that exhaust, then get some dual barrel carbs.

Yeah, I know. Saving up as we speak for 40 Kads and a stainless merged header and hidden muff setup... 😬

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Yeah, I know. Saving up as we speak for 40 Kads and a stainless merged header and hidden muff setup... 😬

Kads vs the ICT's you have will be a marginal upgrade. Look for a decent set of IDF's or Dellortos, you'll thank me later Laughing
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Kads vs the ICT's you have will be a marginal upgrade. Look for a decent set of IDF's or Dellortos, you'll thank me later Laughing

Thanks for the advice - I'll do that ! Smile

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

A little update on my project.
Now that the engine is finished and the Kennedy Stage One 1700lb clutch kit is purchased, I decided to give the tranny a little upgrade.
I converted the dino gear lube with Redline MT-90 GL-4 full synthetic gear lube:

Installed a heavy duty CB Performance cross shaft:

And also added a 100MM long clutch arm to make that Stage One clutch not so hard on my left leg:

Even had to set up a odd, little rig to add the gear lube:

Everything went well with the exception of the CB Perf cross shaft was about .002" too big and had to be ground and polished down to fit the clutch arm hole.
All and all not a bad day's work...! Very Happy

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Found some pop out windows for my project !!!

They need new rubber installed and I plan to paint the aluminum portion gun metal grey like most of the trim and bumpers, but, at least I have the hard part done ~ I FOUND THEM ! Laughing

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
but, at least I have the hard part done ~ I FOUND THEM ! Laughing

Yea but the fun part is installing them Wink
Use some sort of tool to get the new seals in, I used nylon pry bars. Cut the headliner where the hinge mounts. Wolfsburg West has all the hardware you need, don't forget to get the 6 latch screws.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Found some pop out windows for my project !!!

They need new rubber installed and I plan to paint the aluminum portion gun metal grey like most of the trim and bumpers, but, at least I have the hard part done ~ I FOUND THEM ! Laughing

Nice. I used a bit of silicone spray and plastic body molding tools to get the new seals on the glass frames. Made it a fairly painless process. I bolted the back latch to TH c-pillar before the hinge, made it very easy to then have both hands for the hinge without risk of dropping and breaking the window and screwing up my Maaco paint job (best $600 I've spent in years, btw).

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

UPDATE TIME !
Now that I am finally finished with my house addition and summer projects, I have the time to get back to my Bug project !
Installed a Kennedey 1700Lb Stage one clutch:

Also added a HD clutch release cross shaft with a new Sachs throwout bearing, HD retaining springs and safety wired the springs to the arms of the cross shaft:

Ran the fuel and vacuum lines for the carbs:

Hung the breather box on the back of the fan shroud:

Installed the stainless firewall cover over the fiberglass and butyl/aluminum sound/heat deadening material:

And shit-canned the crappy original style fan/alternator belt setup for a serpentine belt system:
Before:

Before install:

I was considering media blasting the car before the engine install, but I'm going to have around $5K in the media blasting/ bodywork and paintwork, so I decided I am going to have some fun a drive the crap out of it while i save for the paint work...

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Finally got the engine in !
It was a real nightmare getting it in (did it by myself) ended up removing the muffler to get it to tilt at the proper angle to get the input shaft lined up right.
Also got the serpentine belt setup installed too!

Now to mount the remote oil filter so that I can determine the length of oil lines I have to get made.
**Note** the plug wires are wrong, so I've ordered the right ones (I really should pay attention when I order these parts).... Rolling Eyes
I also have a couple of questions about clutch adjustment and belt tension.
The Bentley book I have says to leave an 1/8" gap at the adjusting nut and clutch release arm and 3/8" to 3/4" free play at the pedal. I cannot get an 1/8" gap without having easily 4" free play at the pedal, so I bagged that part and have adjusted it to have about 5/8" free play before I feel good resistance on the pedal...is that good...?
And the serpentine belt kit from CB Performance gave no adjustment numbers on belt deflection... anybody have any ideas on that....?

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Those plug wires look like type 3 style, which I prefer (much cleaner install). No reason to change them as long as they are the wrong length and fit.

Adjust the pedal to get the right amount of free play (around 1/2"). I adjust my serpentine system so the belt is tight, but not overly tight so is has no flex to it.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Those plug wires look like type 3 style, which I prefer (much cleaner install). No reason to change them as long as they are the wrong length and fit.

The problem I have is the distributor side of the wires and the distributor cap are both female ended - unless I can find dual male adapters for the plug ends, or a male nippled distributor cap, I can't use those wires... Crying or Very sad

Bashr52 wrote:
Adjust the pedal to get the right amount of free play (around 1/2"). I adjust my serpentine system so the belt is tight, but not overly tight so is has no flex to it.

I'd really like a number for the deflection - I have a message in to CB Performance and hopefully they can get me a number...

Michael E ~ Raceace24
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

I had a serpentine belt system in my buggy. I adjusted it till I could just twist the belt 90 degrees on the long side.

Later I adjusted it so that it would slip when I got above 6000rpm. It wouldn't slip at lower rpm but once I got up in the revs it would squeal a bit. Better than blowing up a non welded fan. Worked great.

brad
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Time to fabricate a bracket and hang the remote oil filter housing (that I've already ported out) so that I can determine the length and layout of the stainless braided oil lines I'll have to had made.

Bracket is made and hung sideways in the rear driver's wheel well.
)I mounted it that way mainly to make the oil lines as short as possible and oil changes are far less messy with the filter mounted sideways..

I mounted it as low and as rearward as possible. It's not too low either ~ just sits about 1/4" below the bottom of the rear of the fender.

The outlet and inlets pointing straight towards the engine makes it so I only have to use 45 degree elbows on the filter side to steer the lines just slighlty around the exhaust pipes.

Diagram containing required fittings and lengths of braided line required to plumb the filter housing.

Solidly mounted, out of the way and still easily accessible !
I like it ! Very Happy

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

OK, dumb question time:
I purchased a Gene Berg shifter at a really good price a while ago from a local used VW parts source, was looking at it because I plan on installing it soon......., AND, I think it might be missing a part....or two.

^^A pic of the shifter in question^^

^^THIS is where I have my question and concern:
Doesn't this suppose to have a roll pin or dowel pin sticking out towards the passenger side bottom (or in the bottom pic, pointing directly at you..) of the shifter that is actuated by the button on side of the "T" handle to prevent it from engaging into reverse inadvertently....?
I kinda remember my old cheapo Empi one back in the 80s having one there....otherwise what stops it from going into reverse?
I'm going to call Gene Berg Ent. tomorrow to find out about it too, but I imagine that someone here perhaps has some info on this too.......right ?

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Talked to a guy at Gene Berg Ent. and he confirmed that there is, in fact, supposed to be a pin there. Good news is that it can be repaired ~ bad news is that it's gonna take $70.00 to fix it.... Crying or Very sad
Guess I'm going to have to talk to the guy who sold it to me about a partial or complete refund for it...

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Great thread, looking good! Cool

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Talked to a guy at Gene Berg Ent. and he confirmed that there is, in fact, supposed to be a pin there. Good news is that it can be repaired ~ bad news is that it's gonna take $70.00 to fix it.... Crying or Very sad
Guess I'm going to have to talk to the guy who sold it to me about a partial or complete refund for it...

When you push the button the pin is supposed to slide up out of the way to allow the shifter to move over into reverse. Is the linkage there inside the shifter still and it's just the pin that is missing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: