Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with my 71 Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
...The final was 2 coats of base, 8 coats of candy pearl and 4 coats of clear. 30 minutes between coats so you can imagine how long it took to finish.

That paint job will look great in sunny South Florida and with that many layers should add nicely to the structural integrity and overall rigidity of the car Wink

Very nice work, maybe I can drop by your "shop" to see it in person the next time I visit my in-laws in Miami.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks, drop by I'll make sure it's here.

Funny you mention rigidity. One door latch got sprayed to see what it looked like but I decided it would look better in that bear metal goldish bronze that you see on some (OEM Chev, Ford, Chrys) parts. I went through two or three razor blades trying to scrape that paint off.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Amazing that after 45 years they clean up this good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Detailed process or it didn't happen Wink. It's not like I'm looking for pointers or anything like that.

They look spectacular. It's the little details like that that define true craftsmanship and artistry. Keep up that level of work and we'll have to start calling you Scott Doonan Jr.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Didn't think about it when I did it but I'll keep it in mind going forward.
What I can tell you is that this is my best friend when it comes to rusted old parts. Does nothing to skin, rubber, plastic or vinyl but loves the rust. One note is that if you leave them in too long it will leave them with a black finish.

The rest is just rattle can art and a really hard clear coat.

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

So I received the new tail lights today. I decided to go with the euro ones that are amber red and white. Then I was wondering if the reflectors could be cleaned up or if they had to be replaced.

First I cleaned all the crud using my special crud cleaning tool Wink

Then I dipped it in the rust solution and sanded all the rough and pitted surface.

This is what the mounting bolts look like after the dip.

Then I wipped it down with prep spray.

Taped the chrome and copper bulb connectors.

Then I sprayed 3 coats of Dupli-Color "Chrome" 10 minutes in between each coat. Doesn't come close to chrome and I would not use it anywhere else but as a bulb reflector its pretty good.

I think they might be good enough to use until I stare at them long enough and order new ones. Brick wall Laughing
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Here is the same process on the ashtray. Just dipped and painted the lid.

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

OK guys I'm going to be getting things ready to place all the rubber seals on the body in the next few days. Is there any particular glue that is better than others to use to get these seals in place?

Also do the seals for the quarter windows get glued or just screwed in place with the aluminum rails?

I want to do it right the first time Very Happy Thanks in advance for any advise.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Is there any particular glue that is better than others to use to get these seals in place?

3M black super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive(™) worked well for me. NAPA universal adhesive solvent came in handy, especially when I didn't get things right the first time. Wink

There was no adhesive residue under the original window rubber seals on my '71 cabriolet so I just relied on the screws and aluminum inserts and they're tight as a tick... no leaks.

For good adhesion the best advice I can offer is to 1) thoroughly clean the rubber to get rid of any release agent used in manufacturing, and 2) actually wait for the adhesive to get tacky before putting the seals in place.

Nice progress; there's no grass growing under your feet, that's for sure.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Quote:
1) thoroughly clean the rubber to get rid of any release agent used in manufacturing, and 2) actually wait for the adhesive to get tacky before putting the seals in place.

Thats some real life experience talkin right there. Legit advice!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
1) thoroughly clean the rubber to get rid of any release agent used in manufacturing, and 2) actually wait for the adhesive to get tacky before putting the seals in place.

Thats some real life experience talkin right there. Legit advice!

Far being it for me to add to the advice after Darrel has spoken, but there is perhaps a lesson for others (and you) in my experience with the quarter windows. It is this:

The new rubber (from KGP&R) is so stiff/hard that remounting the channels in exactly the same position as before has resulted in my quarter windows not closing fully. I'm going to have to uninstall both quarter windows and move the channels slightly inwards until I reach a position where the quarter windows can close fully. Since you're going to install new rubber I would suggest that you don't use adhesives during the first install.

Maybe an opportunity to apply the measure twice cut once wisdom.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks guys much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes but I'm sure I'll get stuck along the way so be prepared for stupid questions, parts glued upside down inside out and backwards... Very Happy
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I will also add to scuff the areas you are going to glue, especially the rubber, and clean again. you don't want to mess it up. it take 10x as long to get the adhesive off as put it on. Ask me how I know.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I will also add to scuff the areas you are going to glue, especially the rubber, and clean again. you don't want to mess it up. it take 10x as long to get the adhesive off as put it on. Ask me how I know.

Got it. I am taking my time on this part. I'm waiting on window felt and everything that goes around the quarter Windows. I hope they are not those parts that are always out of stock everywhere....
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

So I've started to look around the daunting task of trying to find the new width of the rear rim plus the tire size that will work. I can see that finding the combination is going to be a real PIA...

Ideally I want to find a tire that will fit I'm guessing a 7.5X17 rim that is not taller than the diameter of a stock tire. Brick wall

Do I start with a tire and rebarrel to match or rebarrel and find a tire to match? Sick

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

When I was going through the rear light reflector in the groove that the lens goes into there was a rotted rubber gasket there. Is this rubber gasket still sold or do I just make one with an o-ring kit?
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

this is what goes in the groove: http://www.karmannghia.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=5760
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Hi Scotty thanks for the reply, I seen that but It says Ghia 72-74 and I have a 71. is that a typo or is the 71 different?
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

its all the same. i used it on my 71. it just has to be cut shorter. looking at that page it lists 4 different year spans. 1969-1979: Karmann Ghia Coupe,
1970 - 1974 : GHIA CP , K Ghia 72-74, 945-235 70 74 RP. they should really fix that...
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Ordering it now, Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: