Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rear quarter panels all the way to drip edge?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Replacing rear quarter panels all the way to drip edge? Reply with quote

I have seen where quarter panels are replaced, but usually just halfway up the B pillar. How does the quarter panel attach underneath the drip edge? I want to replace both of them on my bug, but am having a hard time visualizing. From my understanding, the quarter panel is separate from the drip edge, but is spot welded on the inside? The roof meets there, and the drip edge, and then the quarter panel? Can someone point me in the right direction. I am just trying to get an understanding of how the removal and replacement of the entire quarter panel is. Is there a lip on the top of new panels that is spot welded inside? I've attached a few pics for reference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would weld it on 1/2" below the drip rail, so I had plenty of room to grind the weld without gouging the drip rail.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be warned that that replacement panel has a vent wing hole that only appeared starting in 1971. if your car is older than that, you will have to weld that crescent hole up solid. Welcome to the samba btw

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the lower 2/3 of the panel... cut off the new panel half way up the B and C pillars (for you, below the half-moon vent in the new panel)

Less welding, easier repair as you have a join in flat surfaces to grind down and refinish... especially if you are a 110 percent beginner
dannyfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most everyone cuts off the lower 2/3rds of the quarter panel, and then welds the new one in. But, if I wanted to replace the entire panel, how does it meet up under the drip edge, and how do you go about removing it and re-installing it? Lots of articles out there on replacing the lower half, but I can't find anything about pulling the entire panel off, and re installing a new one.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyfiveo wrote:
It seems most everyone cuts off the lower 2/3rds of the quarter panel, and then welds the new one in. But, if I wanted to replace the entire panel, how does it meet up under the drip edge, and how do you go about removing it and re-installing it? Lots of articles out there on replacing the lower half, but I can't find anything about pulling the entire panel off, and re installing a new one.

My guess is the upper areas seldom need replacement. In most cases it's rust that demands the lower replacement. If it were me I would leave as much of the original as possible. Why create more work?

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
dannyfiveo wrote:

My guess is the upper areas seldom need replacement. In most cases it's rust that demands the lower replacement. If it were me I would leave as much of the original as possible. Why create more work?

My understanding is that it is just spot welded in place. So, popping all the spot welds off and putting a brand new piece in would be preferable to say cutting it across and joining it by butt welding the new and old together. I'm not sure I am following on how plug welding/spot welding a new piece in is creating more work than butting old and new pieces together. So, how does it meet below the drip edge? Is it spot welded in place before the roof is installed at the factory, and you can't access those welds without removing the roof? I'm not trying to be dense or a dick, just trying to understand why if I have a full quarter panel section, why wouldnt I utilize the entire thing.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1/4 panel is attached under the drip rails. It is a lot more work to do it the way you want that is why most cut & weld together old to new. There was a post on this & I added some vintage factory pictures to see how the car was assembled at the factory.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyfiveo wrote:

A chopped-up body reveals a three- or four-way gang-bang of metal going on under that drip rail: Outer quarter, drip rail, cant-rail (what the headlining attaches to - it may be the same piece of metal as the drip rail fold-over) and inner quarter. So... Unfold the roof seams/drip rails, drill out spot welds in rear window aperture, lift the turret to access interior of cant rails, drill out the quarter/cant rail/inner side spot welds. Unpick welds at B pillar and C pillar/engine bay sides etc to replace...

said respectfully....if you have to ask, you will have BIG dramas with this task as it involves almost complete disassembly of the turret. so it might be best to perform the 'easy' (and no less effective, or tradesman-like) sectional repair that has been suggested by others

Here's what we mean:

https://www.facebook.com/GTBeetles/photos/a.540911...mp;theater

HTH
slfisherf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear quarter panels all the way to drip edge? Reply with quote

Fiveo: Where did you get your quarter panel. I can;t find replacement. Everything behind the vent window on mine down to the fender line is holed through so I need to do major replacement. Building a patch from scratch for this area looks really difficult. Starting with a whole panel and cutting out what I need a lot easier. I've some lower down damage also but everything below to window to almost the bottom is solid.
fwillison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear quarter panels all the way to drip edge? Reply with quote

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/seitenteil-314771.html

VW Classic Parts in Germany has the entire rear quarter/rear side panel. Current price is 659 Euros.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: