Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hazard flasher switch location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
great. Thanks for all your help!

I never knew that about terminal designations... now everything suddenly makes more sense!

Glad to shed some light on that. Most if not all Euro automobile manufactures decided to go with a uniform code of wiring. This allowed them to use the same parts as other manufactures. In turn this kept cost down, and at same time any mechanic who know or could read a list of terminals could figure how to wire up an electrical system in almost any Euro automobile.

From the bottom of the wiring diagram pages is this link among others you should know about.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.thesa...pdf?time=0
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Ha! Yes I always knew about the numbers, that makes total sense to me. When there were no numbers I thought they were just being awkward, not that you could put the wires anywhere! Thanks for highlighting the link to me. An exciting read ahead!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Enjoy! Smile
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

ok... so another quick question... unrelated but still wiring. While in there I have dismantled and rebuild the wipers with new 12v armature... all the wiring was disconnected...

looking at the wiring diagram there are two dome lights... but obviously I have one being a double cab... i take it I wire for 'Y1' in the diagram so that the switch actually does something???

or do I have that completely wrong?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

looking at the wiring diagram there are two dome lights... but obviously I have one being a double cab... i take it I wire for 'Y1' in the diagram so that the switch actually does something???

or do I have that completely wrong?

Sounds correct, since you can not just reach up from driver seat to turn the switch in the light on/off.
We have no DC just the two SCs. Both have factory switch delete plastic plugs on the left side of the speedo pod.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
We have no DC just the two SCs. Both have factory switch delete plastic plugs on the left side of the speedo pod.

Our April DC has the same hole and factory plug.

I have considered adding a light above the rear window since there is a factory provision for one there, and adding a switch in the pod to operate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Plug detail since I have a photo loaded
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

aww jeez. clearly this truck has had many 'improvements' at the hands of a previous owner... hazard switch delete, hazard light delete, and the addition of a dome light switch...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Well at least the last one is an improvement! When you find one of the delete plugs, you can then turn it back to stock easily enough.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

yes I am going to keep the switch. Control over the kids flipping it on and off in the back is a must!
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Ok... so if anyone can give me some help here it would be much appreciated.

Emergency relay and switch fitted and working perfectly.
Brake lights separated and working perfectly with its own feed from fuse box.

Turn signals.... well... they work... kinda. Turn right and they are slow and steady... just like the emergency lights... but turn left and they are flashing double time.

Now this would be expected perhaps... dodgy amateur wiring... but when the emergency lights are on they all flash in time nice and slow... perfect... but when its tun signals... different story.

Any ideas?

Also... I wired the emergency relay to the far right fuse so that they wouldnt need ignition switched on to operate... and guess what... they need the ignition switch on to operate.

Also... when emergency lights are on, turning left or right with the turn signal switch makes them stay on solid... no blinking.

I am confused. I am thinking there is something funky goin on in the turn signal switch itself... since everything else works ok.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Yes, our DEC62 built SC needs to have the ignition switch on "Run" position to have the E-flashers working.

You mention,
Quote:
"Brake lights separated and working perfectly with its own feed from fuse box."
the brake wiring in a N. American Bus should be connected into the turn signal wiring.

Do you have N. American turn signal switch?

Do you have N. American taillight bulb holders?

Have you wired your Bus as per the N. American wiring diagram?

Quote:

pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

No! As stated when I started... the bus is now in the UK, and I have put euro housings on the back. Amber turn signals on single filament bulbs, and dual filament red for lights and brake. This is done by simply taking the brake lights out of the turn signal equation... and giving them their own supply and wire to the rear.

that is all working fine... its a simple job that people do over here a lot when shipping vehicles back to europe.

the more I think about it the more I think the turn signal switch is at fault. It is the only OG part of the equation... but this AM i have to get the wiper motor running too. that is being very stubborn!

EDIT***

OK... so forget all that... all fixed. off to the dreaded MOT station to become legal.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Good luck!
EZbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Hello,
Fairly new here, new to the aircooled world, will open a topic on my bus later on.
I have a 1960 American bus, U.S. tail lights, converted to 12v, and I want to add the emergency flasher switch. I found one, '66 model, switch lighting up when active, so I don't need the flasher light. I've been searching on how to make things work the best way, some say I should take out my indicator relay, and use a 9-prong relay combined for indicators and emergency lights, others state it's better to just add an extra relay separate for the hazards, and this could be the same as the wiper relay?
The 9-prong relay should give me the advantage the hazards work with ignition off, but they should give problems with us tail lights with no separate blinkers?
And adding the extra relay should not have any problem with the us lights, but can only work with ignition on?
I'm tempted to go with the new 9 way relay, which should be the easier method, but buying that expensive relay for not getting it to work is what I want to avoid..
If there is anybody who can point me in the right direction, or who has done the same before, please help!

Thanks,
Tim!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Back in the day there used to be kits in Europe that allowed one to install an emergency flasher system in most any European built automobile. Would try other vintage automobile clubs out your way to find out more info and if any kits are available.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Tim84s wrote:
Hello,
Fairly new here, new to the aircooled world, will open a topic on my bus later on.
I have a 1960 American bus, U.S. tail lights, converted to 12v, and I want to add the emergency flasher switch. I found one, '66 model, switch lighting up when active, so I don't need the flasher light. I've been searching on how to make things work the best way, some say I should take out my indicator relay, and use a 9-prong relay combined for indicators and emergency lights, others state it's better to just add an extra relay separate for the hazards, and this could be the same as the wiper relay?
The 9-prong relay should give me the advantage the hazards work with ignition off, but they should give problems with us tail lights with no separate blinkers?
And adding the extra relay should not have any problem with the us lights, but can only work with ignition on?
I'm tempted to go with the new 9 way relay, which should be the easier method, but buying that expensive relay for not getting it to work is what I want to avoid..
If there is anybody who can point me in the right direction, or who has done the same before, please help!

Thanks,
Tim!

Use the 63 wiring diagram, emergency switch, a 12 volt flasher can and a 12 volt dual make relay and it will work, function and look stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb, I tried to look for something like that, but most I found were kits meant for 60-70 American cars.

Toolbox, what do you mean by dual make relay? If I take a look at the 63 wiring diagram, looks like I need a separate relay with 5 wires connected? The 12v flasher relay is already in the bus. I have a switch from a '66, with the internal light.

I was looking around for interesting things in the classifieds, and found these custom made led tail lights. Interesting, but they make things a bit more complicated I assume? The guy who makes them also supplies a replay to make sure the leds work properly as turn signals. Would it be enough to use this, and the emergency switch connected through a secondary relay?

Greets,
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Tim84s wrote:

I was looking around for interesting things in the classifieds, and found these custom made led tail lights. Interesting, but they make things a bit more complicated I assume? The guy who makes them also supplies a replay to make sure the leds work properly as turn signals. Would it be enough to use this, and the emergency switch connected through a secondary relay?

The LEDs do not draw as much amperage as does stock bulbs, so the LEDs require a relay that will work with less amperage flowing thru it. Just adding a LED relay will not do the job.

You will need to add in wiring and relays to get all to work right. Since you have gone with Euro taillights probably best to wire the system like the 1963-65 Buses used over here, and just use the turn signals for E-flasher.
EZbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

The LEDs do not draw as much amperage as does stock bulbs, so the LEDs require a relay that will work with less amperage flowing thru it. Just adding a LED relay will not do the job.

You will need to add in wiring and relays to get all to work right. Since you have gone with Euro taillights probably best to wire the system like the 1963-65 Buses used over here, and just use the turn signals for E-flasher.

I don't have euro tail lights, i have the original round red tail lights, american correct for 1960. Or am I wrong and is there a difference in us and euro before 63?
If it complicates things too much, might leave the leds out of the story

Greets,
Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: