Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hazard flasher switch location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

But another question, as my bus is now in the UK, I cant have the bake lights and turn signals using the same bulb

You can if it was built without them and before 1st Sept '65...

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

"Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have direction indicators incorporated with stop lamps, or combined with side or rear lamps, in which case front indicators may be white and rear indicators red."

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
strange though right? Its a US delivered double cab, so should have it?

Yes, it seems weird to me that it's missing if the delivery port is in the USA
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

Yes, very strange!

Up to you, but we prefer not everything going thru one relay. Plus the multiple relays are off the shelf at most FLAPS, not special order.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
pig-pen wrote:

But another question, as my bus is now in the UK, I cant have the bake lights and turn signals using the same bulb

You can if it was built without them and before 1st Sept '65...

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

"Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have direction indicators incorporated with stop lamps, or combined with side or rear lamps, in which case front indicators may be white and rear indicators red."

yep, saw that... but I think people here are too thick to understand that a flashing red light means I am going to turn. Most were unable to comprehend that leaving a european marketplace would plunge their country into an immediate recession, but hey ho.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
pig-pen wrote:

Yes, it seems weird to me that it's missing if the delivery port is in the USA

the M code says delivery to San Francisco, so I am guessing the wiring has just been butchered and I didn't look hard enough to see if there used to be a hole...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

You could add accessory yellow lights on the license plate frame. Made a huge difference getting dumb drivers behind us to notice the signals.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On our 63 SC just added lights like that and a set of LED tiny bullet lights in the bottom bolts of the frame. Even though the LEDs are 12 volt, work great on the 6 volt system.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Nah... I got the new euro units fitted already... they look great and everything works, so no problem with any of that,

A direct line from the brake switch to the lights was all it needed.

I am just plotting fitting the hazard switch.

Smile
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Some pictures of the 'missing' switch area... Looking closer at the wiring it certainly seems that the switch was just pulled out, and is that some sort of 'patch' over the back of where the hole was?

I don't have the red flasher on the left hand side... should the DC have this too?

Oh, also... could I use a wiper switch for the emergency flashers? I have one. I don't have a flasher switch.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

Oh, also... could I use a wiper switch for the emergency flashers? I have one. I don't have a flasher switch.

No. Those are a four terminal switch. A lot of volks and even shops sell them as wiper not knowing or caring what they really have.

As for the red light pop your camera up under the left side of the speedo and take some images.

The "Progressive Refinements" page posted on page 1 of this thread shows model and when the flasher light was started in USA destined buses.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

I went through all the electronics on my US delivered 1963 DC including a section on the emergency flasher pieces in this topic:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646495p=7972322#7972322

Maybe something in there might help?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

ok... so I DID have a flasher... view from behind the fuel gauge

pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
pig-pen wrote:

No. Those are a four terminal switch. A lot of volks and even shops sell them as wiper not knowing or caring what they really have.

As for the red light pop your camera up under the left side of the speedo and take some images.

The "Progressive Refinements" page posted on page 1 of this thread shows model and when the flasher light was started in USA destined buses.

here are my switches... the OG wiper switch, and a new replacement... so I can use the new one as an emergency flasher switch right?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

here are my switches... the OG wiper switch, and a new replacement... so I can use the new one as an emergency flasher switch right?

Exactly, because that new one is the flasher switch.

You can probably take apart your OG wiper switch and fix it. Helps to solder either of those switches between each rivet and terminal to get rid of any corrosion in there.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

cool. thanks sir.

another question... looking at your picture and looking at nlorntson's picture,
both switches are wired differently.

which is right?

and... there is an extra wire not on the wiring diagram I am using... I assume this is for my missing warning light?

Smile
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

For this switch it doesn't matter what terminal goes where:

There are not terminal designations that I can see.

My DC is an April 1963 build with the 1-ton package if it matters. The only difference I see is the red wire and on mine, that wire appears to be grayish but it could be overspray from a PO paint job.

I would say that in both pictures the gray wire that is on the double wire connector is what heads over to the light on the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

Yes, if important to have exact wires on each terminal then each terminal will have a terminal number. Below is Beetle ignition switch.

pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

great. Thanks for all your help!

I never knew that about terminal designations... now everything suddenly makes more sense!

Now to find a light in the classifieds.

If someone would be able to measure the hole and pm me the results it would be most appreciated... oh and also a measure of where the light should go, the welded patch on my dash is a bit bigger than the OG hole methinks Smile
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

If someone would be able to measure the hole and pm me the results it would be most appreciated... oh and also a measure of where the light should go, the welded patch on my dash is a bit bigger than the OG hole methinks Smile

Here's one but a crazy price I think:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1907630
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
pig-pen wrote:

Here's one but a crazy price I think:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1907630

$80... C'mon now. LOL
64-65... It's also for 63s. Smile

Quick search gave me this one for $40... cheaper at least
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1862002
Mexico though... might take a while to arrive
$50
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1928925
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hazard flasher switch location Reply with quote

I have bought from Jake before, $50 sounds OK to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: