Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeep accounts for 25% increase in US carmakers' sales
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Jeep accounts for 25% increase in US carmakers' sales Reply with quote

It's hard for me to believe what I am reading, but Jeeps have accounted for 25% of the 780,000 increase in vehicles sold in 2014 by US automakers compared with 2013.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20141208/RETAIL01/141209862/jeep-drives-25-of-u-s-sales-gains

That means there are 195,000 more Jeeps than there were last year. I live in SoCal and I'm not noticing a lot more Jeeps on the road. Maybe they're going to northern states where four-wheel drive is appreciated more in the rain and snow. The article didn't say that any of those Jeeps are being exported.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler accounted for 46.2% of the US market sales for April 2014, with Japanese, German, and Korean makes providing the rest. If I read the article correctly, and if April sales were close to the same as for the rest of the year, Jeep sales would amount to 11.6% of all sales in the US by foreign and US manufacturers.

Are any of you seeing more Jeeps than last year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see tons around here.. The jeep wrangler is the most customized vehicle in the world. You can literally replace every part with aftermarket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black 4 door "Rubicons" are the new Subaru "Outback" here in Washington.... As aging hipsters cash in and sell out Laughing

they're everywhere...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, seeing a bunch in Downtown Houston too
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are popular here too but most that are modded are just mall creepers... They are more capable in getting you somewhere if the shtf type of stuff. Gas Mpg are getting better for them too and the 4 door wranglers have room to spare than earlier models...
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnoroian wrote:
just mall creepers...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Black 4 door "Rubicons" are the new Subaru "Outback" here in Washington.... As aging hipsters cash in and sell out Laughing

they're everywhere...

We almost bought one of those when the 4 doors first came out. But there were production delays, and it kept getting held off. We finally got tired of waiting, and bought a 4 door Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
No regrets.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suspect, just like when Chevy impalas outsold Toyota camrys a few years ago. Me thinks one should look at rental car fleets and civic work-vehicle fleets to see how jeep sales numbers are really cooked. Wink

Remember when Crown Vics were the best selling car? Of course you do, it was the year your local PD got a few new cruisers.

And what is all this stuff about us landing on the moon?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few folks that have bought new jeeps (CJ style) over the last few years. Poor build quality, poor ride quality, and they tend to be rather uncomfortable. Most have been sold of/traded in for something else after the novelty wore off.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of folks around here have them as the "spare" or Winter rig. Of course you have the "Flatlanders" that HAVE to have a 4x4 to live here..... Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubicons change little from year to year, I'd be unable to determine if one were a 2014 or a 2011. I see plenty of the make on the road, but given the number of all cars on the road, I just wouldn't be able to discern the increase mentioned. Cars I've noticed - Fiats and because of their relative rarity - Teslas, everything else just sort of blends in.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never see any like mine....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
I live in the Los Angeles Basin and I can't remember the last time I saw an AMC or Rambler of any year. (Jeeps don't count since they weren't an AMC design.) Is is difficult getting parts that are specific to the Eagle?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cherokee is a derivative of the Eagle, not the other way around, so parts are easy to find.

Steering column is GM, brakes are Ford, transmission an updated Chrysler 727. The "Jeep" motor used, that so many are familiar with, is actually an AMC product. Cheapest car to operate and repair that I have ever owned.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: 1979 AMC Eagle wagon -- the first crossover SUV Reply with quote

1979 AMC Eagle wagon -- the first crossover SUV
Sometimes a wonky design can work miracles. The Eagle Wagon created the crossover SUV market. ----> http://driverweekly.com/best-in-class/road-vehicles/weird-and-wonky-american-cars-7.html
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep accounts for 25% increase in US carmakers' sales Reply with quote

I picked up a 4 door jeep with an engine knock on the cheap...

found out they had a silent recall on the engines for high oil consumption and spinning rod brgs. they would replace the engines for original owners...

I replaced all the rod brgs, put about 500miles on the jeep and then sold it off on eBay to a used car dealer!!! for a nice profit Laughing
Sucked for comfort for a 200 mile ride to the beach. was nice cruising the beach area with top off for short trips, no room for kids and luggage...

I have an FJ cruiser personally. far better built vehicle..
huge difference on comfort, power, just no provision for open air Sad

I'll buy and sell jeeps, but would never want to keep one as a daily driver...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: