Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Hey 61scout, I like the gauge, makes trouble shooting things one step easier. Any worry about the it being the new weak point in your fuel system?
-d

Nah, I'm not concerned about it being a weak point... it will all seal up tight and from there really never move. Be wise to carry an extra plug in the tool box of course, but that gauge is designed specifically for fuel and permanent installation. It is indeed convenient for trouble shooting, but I'd still hook your shop gauge up for diagnostic work. Kinda like the difference between a tape measure and calipers, they both measure, but one is way more accurate and sensitive.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assembled GoWesty fuel rails.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gowesty fuel rails, after maybe a month of actual use, have already started to weep slightly. I assembled them according to the directions and used the locktite..etc. they didnt leak or weep when i first installed them nor after the test runs. I checked them once every few trips to be sure. Now, today, they have a small amount of weepage around the end caps. I shoulda bought the van cafe version for a little more. They are leak tested. I put the plastic rails back on. They werent leaking anyway and they arent now. Next fuel line change, im switching to the van cafe version. The gowesty version is 60 bucks down the drain.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these on each side and four barb fittings, what's the big deal?
If you must have all four fittings point the same way, use ells on the ends.
http://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Ports-Connect-Manifold-Splitter/dp/B00AKVFMP2
Or this one and plug the ends.
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Pneumatic-Manifold-Splitter-Turquoise/dp/B00843USU2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I tapped into this thread but very recently I chose the VanCafe ones because I did have some concern about the Gowesty ones potentially leaking in time. More money for sure but for me personally any threat at all of leakage ... well ... that's a real bad location for a leak. So, I traded more money for hopefully peace 'o mind.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the van-cafe version also, and they lowered the price to be competitive with GW for a pair.

VC: 1 threaded connection per rail, at the billet end cap. Total = 2

GW: 5 threaded connections per rail. Total = 10. Too many places that can leak for my comfort.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gowesty quickly agreed to refund my fuel rails. They are on their way back to the Golden State. Not opting to preassemble and pressure test them before selling them may have been a money issue for them or something. I would say that they are a risky purchase after this experience. Imagine if someone who doesnt obsess over their engine compartment burned up their van in my situation. I would have to say (in my opinion of course) that the vancafe rails are clearly the best and safest choice.
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my rails with the gowesty rails. Did the locktite etc..

Only have driven van little since replacing ( other things needed worked on) and they are weeping from end cap..........
Not impressed at all.
Took off old ones as preventive only to find the new ones issue...

Have just sent them a email asking What they will do to address....

Looks like should of gone other route without the end plug....

Will put old ones back on

Sad .........
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice and sturdy and like they will be perfect.

But the weakest link is Always an issue...........
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, the Van Cafe design having less threaded joints is inherently safer, but it is not the best design.

I have a set, but have not installed them yet...

The problem with the V-C and GoW designs is that both retain the little stub hoses that connect the manifold to the injector.

Modern fuel rails have eliminated that weak link.

Further, there is still the seemingly superfluous fuel return line on each manifold. More rubber hose to overheat and potentially fail.

I am thinking that the best design is one that totally eliminates the half-assed elements and is not a manifold, but a TRUE fuel rail.

A fuel rail would connect directy to the injectors.
I would go a step farther and rout the fuel regulator out of the engine bay totally, and above the left wheel well to the left of the transmission area. That way if you get a leak, it won't be spraying all over the exhaust pipes.

And connect it all with teflon lines overbraided with stainless steel and AN fittings. Some 914 guys actually did this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82144

Last edited by keithwwalker on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leathersmyth wrote:
I replaced my rails with the gowesty rails. Did the locktite etc..

Only have driven van little since replacing ( other things needed worked on) and they are weeping from end cap..........
Not impressed at all.
Took off old ones as preventive only to find the new ones issue...

Have just sent them a email asking What they will do to address....

Looks like should of gone other route without the end plug....

Will put old ones back on

Sad .........

Well that makes 2 leaking from the same spot. 1 more and its a trend... Confused
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the injector spacing, and bolt hole retainer dimensions handy?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used GoWesty's fuel line kit, but went with Van Cafe's fuel rails:

Didn't like the idea of GW's screw-in fittings. Confused

keithwwalker wrote:
Does anyone have the injector spacing, and bolt hole retainer dimensions handy?

Mad Had I seen ^that before the job, I would've taken some measurements!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

It's been about a year since the last post - is there any more feedback on the Gowesty fuel rails (good or bad)?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

boy, if gowesty cant make a leak tight tapered pipe thread, what else cant they do right? this should not be rocket science, did they tap the threads too deep, not enough threads, failure to use pipe sealant or teflon tape??? Good grief, quailty control sure sucks.

the best solution i have found is to use the one piece type IV pipe type rails, no joints no leaks

see link... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1931939

The Machinist wrote:
This sounds interesting. I searched for a picture of the 914 rails, but couldn't find one. I would like to see what they look like to see if I can improve the design on mine.

see the link above for a photo of the rail.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
boy, if gowesty cant make a leak tight tapered pipe thread, what else cant they do right? this should not be rocket science, did they tap the threads too deep, not enough threads, failure to use pipe sealant or teflon tape??? Good grief, quailty control sure sucks.

The set I put on my van is right as rain. They come disassembled, so I would assume there is a good chance it is installer error if there is leaking.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

I'm of course not saying i'm incapable of making an error, but I know I didn't. The threads on these things are pretty course. Go westy didn't even question the refund either. Im past waterboxer rails at this point now that im running an ej22.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
I'm of course not saying i'm incapable of making an error, but I know I didn't. The threads on these things are pretty course. Go westy didn't even question the refund either. Im past waterboxer rails at this point now that im running an ej22.

pretty course threads? is the pitch different than the mating part? I would assume these are tapered pipe threads, either metric or american (NPT) maybe you tried to put a metric fitting in a NPT part or the otherway around? they wont seal properly if mixed up

how many threads are in the hole? does the fitting bottom out in the hole (ie run out of thread) if so that is what is wrong. tapping to deep or drilling to large a hole will make a poor seal for sure..

keithwwalker wrote:
imo, the Van Cafe design having less threaded joints is inherently safer, but it is not the best design.

I have a set, but have not installed them yet...

The problem with the V-C and GoW designs is that both retain the little stub hoses that connect the manifold to the injector.

Modern fuel rails have eliminated that weak link.

Further, there is still the seemingly superfluous fuel return line on each manifold. More rubber hose to overheat and potentially fail.

I am thinking that the best design is one that totally eliminates the half-assed elements and is not a manifold, but a TRUE fuel rail.

A fuel rail would connect directy to the injectors.
I would go a step farther and rout the fuel regulator out of the engine bay totally, and above the left wheel well to the left of the transmission area. That way if you get a leak, it won't be spraying all over the exhaust pipes.

And connect it all with teflon lines overbraided with stainless steel and AN fittings. Some 914 guys actually did this

probelm i see with this design is if the rubber seal of the injector to manifold softens, or otherwise fails or if the bolt for the rail comes loose, or bracket bent, the thing could leak at the oring

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Considering GoWesty sends out their fuel rails disassembled, part of that quality control is put onto you, the buyer.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Considering GoWesty sends out their fuel rails disassembled, part of that quality control is put onto you, the buyer.

unless of course it is poorly machined or designed. I wonder what was meant when the poster siad the threads where course or something to that extent?????? does he mean they are the wrong pitch or the finish is too course as in rough?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: