Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

MY74

The primer is straight on the metal, filler is skimmed on to smooth out any waves and over weld repairs so there is some bodywork before paint goes on. Its been done rear of the windscreen, just needs to happen forward of it now.

Just to add to it, the reason for having the primer up against the metal is to seal against any moisture. Filler is porous and can retain water, you don't want to prime over it if the filler is against metal.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I'm putting stone guard in the wheel wells, and under the deck lid and bonnet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No sign of a join here. Keeping all the spot welds.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Your car is looking great. Is the stone guard you're using the product sold by 3M ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Beautiful! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Your car is looking great. Is the stone guard you're using the product sold by 3M ?

Checked with the painter, it's called body 321, solvent based bodyguard. It will get painted body colour with the rest of it shortly.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Beautiful! Cool

Thanks, it's getting there! Can't wait for a bit of colour to get on there.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Sad day today. Finnegan, the 'guard' dog shown on page 1 of this thread was put down. He was almost 15, and basically too old and frail. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old, so we've lost part of our family.

However to cheer me up soon after, I was sent some photos of the first paint on Phoebe.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss, know how that goes, paint is looking good though!
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about Finnegan...it's a tough time. Sad

My mate insist on sitting in the Ghia anytime I work on it...sits in the passenger seat.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Some final body working on the nose. Fitted up the nostril vents and they look a bit ordinary. I want to keep as much of the original parts as possible, but these need some work.

What are the repro nostrils like? If they are flimsy I'd rather put up with a banged up original item.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus,
I have a pair that I'm not going to use. PM me with your address. A slab of XXXX would cover it I should think

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Angus,
I have a pair that I'm not going to use. PM me with your address. A slab of XXXX would cover it I should think

Nicholas

I love the inter-Australia exchange rate! Cool

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Just curious, a case here is 12. What's a slab?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Angus,

Nicholas

Thanks Nicholas, I'll shoot you through a PM.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Angus,

Nicholas

I love the inter-Australia exchange rate! Cool

Well the first official Australian currency following European settlement was rum, so really it's just a natural development.......
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Just curious, a case here is 12. What's a slab?

A 'slab' is a carton of beer, which is 24 cans (also known as tinnies) or stubbies (small glass bottle), 375ml ea.

Most small favours/little jobs/parts etc in Australia somehow often seem to end up being equal to a slab.......

XXXX is the original local brew in my hometown of Brisbane, pronounced 'Fourex'. For years in Australia each capital city had one or two major breweries and not much else than that was available. Over the last thirty years or so any number of micro-breweries around the country have sprung up, so we now have an enormous variety to enjoy!

A variation of a slab which has almost disappeared is 12 bottles of beer, 750ml ea, also known as 'tallies' or 'longnecks'. It's only the old-timers who still buy these.

Last edited by Angus Dowrie on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I'll make no comment on the Oz exchange rate but I'll add my voice to those who said sorry to hear about your dog. They are not known as man's best friend for nothing. We remember every one of them, from those we had in our childhood to the ones we have now, with each having its own unique character and personality, but everyone of them as loyal as, well, a dog.

As to the resto:

The guy who painted my Ghia did much the same as you are doing, Angus. Keep the spot welds, he said. They are the original look. Then he put stone guard inside the wheel arches, inside the door skins, on the underside of the roof and under the front and rear deck-lids before painting those areas in body colour.

I kept as much of the original brightwork as I could, including the front vents you mentioned, the windscreens' trim, the rain gutter trim and some other pieces I don't remember off-hand, even though they were not perfect.

My car is 48 years old. I suppose a few grey hairs are not out of place.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I'll make no comment on the Oz exchange rate but I'll add my voice to those who said sorry to hear about your dog. They are not known as man's best friend for nothing. We remember every one of them, from those we had in our childhood to the ones we have now, with each having its own unique character and personality, but everyone of them as loyal as, well, a dog.

As to the resto:

The guy who painted my Ghia did much the same as you are doing, Angus. Keep the spot welds, he said. They are the original look. Then he put stone guard inside the wheel arches, inside the door skins, on the underside of the roof and under the front and rear deck-lids before painting those areas in body colour.

I kept as much of the original brightwork as I could, including the front vents you mentioned, the windscreens' trim, the rain gutter trim and some other pieces I don't remember off-hand, even though they were not perfect.

My car is 48 years old. I suppose a few grey hairs are not out of place.

Thanks for the comments re Finn. We got him as a family dog when the kids were small, and they would spend hours playing with him. But I guess as dogs do they like a pack leader and that was me. Slept by my bed every night, and would just lie down near us when we were watching TV etc. That missing constant presence is still a little disconcerting.

To the car;

There was stone guard type stuff from the factory in all the areas you mentioned above on my car except the wheel arches, as well as inside the rear quarter panels both in the cabin and the engine bay
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I thought slab was Victorian, carton was Queensland and case was New South Wales. We don't have many state differences in Australia other than beer (as above), swimwear (cosies vs togs vs bathers), processed meat (devon vs luncheon vs strass) and deep fried potatoes (potato cakes vs scallop vs fritter).
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I thought slab was Victorian, carton was Queensland and case was New South Wales. We don't have many state differences in Australia other than beer (as above), swimwear (cosies vs togs vs bathers), processed meat (devon vs luncheon vs strass) and deep fried potatoes (potato cakes vs scallop vs fritter).

Yes I personally normally refer to it as a carton, but I'm bi-lingual when it comes to beer....

Another one is a person now commonly referred to as a bogan when I was a kid in Queensland was called a bevan. The internet has blurred lines across states as well as countries!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: