Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I make a 11 Window VW be a 23 Window Samba Bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: How can I make a 11 Window VW be a 23 Window Samba Bus? Reply with quote

I would like to know if it is possible of making a vw bus 11 window and add windows on the corners and at the top, to make it a samba bus?

And if yes has anyone did this, can you post pictures of your results.
thank you
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Look out! Reply with quote

Mattaxi,

Be warned: it's likely that you are about to get a lot of disturbing, possibly inflammatory, advice from some folks who feel you should NOT change split-window busses from how they were originally built.

Other Samba members will tell you; "it's your bus, do whatever you want with it."

Me, I lean towards; "don't change your bus," but I have no reason to fight about it or try and stop someone.

That said, there is a company in Huntington Beach, California that advertises here on this site. They sell what you need to do the work yourself (and provide instructions) and/or they will do the work for you if you could get the bus there from Malta.

Link:
http://vwsunroofs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=1195
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a kit for it.

But why?

It will scream fake to VW enthusiasts and the public probably doesn't know the difference.

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible.
dockmaster Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up some pics of your bus. That way the pros can tell you exactly what to do!
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share Dadacheese's opinion of "Do not change your bus". I would like to add the words "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!" before that with a friendly smile Smile

VW bugs and buses will only be original once and stock never goes out of style.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you can't.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Look out! Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Mattaxi,

Be warned: it's likely that you are about to get a lot of disturbing, possibly inflammatory, advice from some folks who feel you should NOT change split-window

SingleWheel wrote:
Nope, you can't.

Laughing Laughing
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:

But why?

It will scream fake to VW enthusiasts and the public probably doesn't know the difference.

I personally believe it brings the value down on the bus. It makes it altered by usually somebody who lacks experience. If it is done right, like they did in the factory, then kudos! But don't even bother getting a kit. They look terrible.

"They look terrible".............. Whats wrong with the kits??? Please share with us.
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 11 window bus, and you would take that back to Original, but REALLY restore it like it came from the factory, you'd have a killer high value bus. Fitting a complete and correct interior will be a hassle on its own.

Building a 23 would take a HUGE amount of work to make it work, and it would still look fake. Beware you also need another rear hatch, you'd need belly pans, you'd need sooo many parts it's just not worth the effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make a 11 Window VW Bs a 23 Window Samba Bus? Reply with quote

Mattaxi wrote:
I would like to know if it is possible of making a vw bus 11 window and add windows on the corners and at the top, to make it a samba bus?

And if yes has anyone did this, can you post pictures of your results.
thank you

Well, so far they are being very gentle on you. I thought for sure there was a sh*t storm brewing up.

Really tho, if you want a Samba, buy a Samba. But it is your Bus, do as you like.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked it up and it is a capital crime in Malta to build a fake 23. Really. Would I lie to you? Wink

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:

But why?

Curious what you do not like about the kit?
I assume we are talking about the Grumpy's kit.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
ChrisFred wrote:

But why?

I'm also curious, as I thought the parts supplied seemed very good. Installation quality would make a big difference, of course.

Were you (ChrisFred) possibly referring to aftermarket sunroof kits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there a limited number of running buses in Malta anyway? And don't they all need metal work?
Do what you want. Enjoy. Please film the sawing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut, weld, grind, enjoy.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
ChrisFred wrote:

But why?

Maybe the word "terrible" was a scare tactic.
Grumpy's kit is actually tuff to beat! Best kit out there.
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this same question about 4 years ago, I was contemplating converting my 15 to a 23. I received threats of bodily harm Laughing - well not quite but I did get kicked around pretty well, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440612&highlight=
The best advice I received was this. If you want a 23, sell yours and buy a 23. What you'll spend on the conversion on top of the value of your current bus will get you close to what you'll spend for a genuine 23, not to mention your "hacked" bus will never be worth what a genuine 23 is worth. I took that advice and bought a 23 window project, finished up the 15 and sold it. It's your bus and your money - do what you want with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
604peter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lads,
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Haters, please don't hate. We all know where purists stand on this issue. But, for those VeeDubbers whose bus is no longer close to stock, and past the point of no return, you may be interested in a conversion to a 21 or 23 window beauty. If you are, the kit from Grumpy's/ VW Sunroofs may be of interest to you. I don't really know, so, I'm posting to find out if there's anyone out there whose used one of these kits. Don't be shy, let me know:
1. Did it work?
2. Did you get the expected results? What worked? What didn't?
3. Were the parts provided of a good quality?
4. Did you do your own install, or have VW Sunroofs do the work?
Really, its cut, weld, grind, finish it, paint and enjoy. Lots of folks will tell you what to do; in the end, its your bus... drive it safe and enjoy it. Spread the VW love, and enjoy owning a beautiful machine.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume that by now you have found this thread-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539140&highlight=

Jehu works some magic here and does it himself. No professional help. Just OG parts and a welder. Pretty humbling.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
604peter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link. Thx for the info Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: