Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 71 squareback owner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my isp repro tach. Looks really nice, and fits perfect. Still have to run coil wire but everything else is good to go. I have hate for the worthless stock clock and enjoy seeing my rpm...at least thats how I rationalized the cost.
Also got some 3" touareg center caps. Looks much better than the empi 914 caps. Note these were not a direct snap in, I did have to make a mount. By mount I mean I pulled the empi cast piece off the steel ring and stuffed the centercap into it Twisted Evil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I spent the day adding my tach signal wire. It involved pulling the fender and completely pulling apart my cyl temp and other gauge harness. Tach works good and is accurate. Unfortunately the light does not match the other gauges at all. It is much brighter and more yellow even though its a standard 2w bulb. Will post pics before and after light mods to make it match.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Man time flies when your car is sitting without a transmission...time for an update.
I got a b5.5 wagon in august so I haven't been rushing to get the square back on the road. I need a car so I can start my 5spd swap on the passat (I have all the pieces lined up calling me to install them)so time to get the square going!
It turns out the trans failed while driving due to seized atf pump. (not sure what happened to it yet but I will post pics when I pull the trans apart)
Right now I'm just waiting on parts...aaannnd my weber 40 kit! I have finally given up on my 34s which fail to adjust even with a jet kit and keep having vacuum leaks which wont go away.
Got my early bumpers de-rusted and installed. I think its a nice change over the fat bumpers and gives the car a more classic look. They need to be straightened and re chromed but are fine for now.

Was able to save my torque converter

Got a trans from Joel a couple weeks ago

Spent a day cleaning it with a scraper and cleaned and resealed the differential. I swapped a few parts from mine that looked less messed up like the governor cover and dipstick tube.

Got some parts I have to sand and paint while waiting on my cv boots.

Got all my missing fresh air system components and a few heater parts. Everything is installed and fully working! I rebuilt the air box which was pretty simple.

Hope to have my car running in the next couple of weeks.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Got all my parts so time to get to work.
Weber 40s are test fitted, still have to tap the manifold.
Any opinions on tapping only one port for auto trans vacuum? I think 4 is way too many just to make it even. I have read stuff about tapping for brake booster, but not for an auto trans. Is it pretty much the same thing?

Its a tight fit, Going to be even worse with a 1/4 barb sticking out.

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Bobnotch was asked this not long ago and he said all 4 . Had something to do with carb adjustment as well as vacuum to the auto trans.

Here is a link to that topic.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647190
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Yeah I was hoping one would be enough vacuum for the trans, and it would be so little it wouldn't affect idle. I decided to use one port and see how it runs. I can always plug it off to see if thats really the problem. 4 ports will definitely be plan C. I have a 8mm line so I'm more concerned about idling than vacuum hg.

Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for! I don't even remember seeing that thread; but I never check on the weekends.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

icelancer wrote:
Yeah I was hoping one would be enough vacuum for the trans, and it would be so little it wouldn't affect idle. I decided to use one port and see how it runs. I can always plug it off to see if thats really the problem. 4 ports will definitely be plan C. I have a 8mm line so I'm more concerned about idling than vacuum hg.

Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for! I don't even remember seeing that thread; but I never check on the weekends.

Yup, do all 4, you'll be happier in the end. At idle, there's very little loss of vacuum to the vacuum modulator on the trans. Try and do all 4 in either 8mm hose, or 5/16ths hose. Double "T" them together, then add a 5/16ths (2) by 1/4" leg "T" to feed the transmissions vacuum modulator. What you're really after is a good vacuum signal to the trans. The FI takes it off the back of the plenum, where the signal is the strongest, and that's what you're trying to duplicate.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Man my car is going to start looking like the fi ones after that. So many hoses!!!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

icelancer wrote:
Man my car is going to start looking like the fi ones after that. So many hoses!!!!

Well, that's the drawback of having AT. You could alway put a single balance tube ib place, and adjust the vacuum modulator to it. Might be worth a try. But the way I look at it, if you're pulling the manifolds to drill and tap 1 hole(in each), you might as well drill 2.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

This is how VW setup the vacuum source for the European automatics that ran carbs.

How about using some 90 degree elbows, instead of using straight barbs. If you are not in a hurry and don't mind experimenting, you might try one port and a vacuum reservoir with a check valve.

One thing to remember, is that the intake charge in an individual runner, is not always being pulled into the engine. When the intake valve opens, the charge is pulled into the cylinder (Vacuum Occurs). When the intake valve closes, the charge slams into the valve and reverses direction (towards the carb, no vacuum). Then when it reaches the carb, or an intake plenum, the charge reverse direction again. So if you went the reservoir route, a one way check valve should be in between the intake manifold and the reservoir.

The main thing is that you want to have a smooth, consistent vacuum signal that matches engine load across the entire RPM range (That is why VW pulled vacuum from all four intake runners). If you don't, your shift points will be all over the map. Also, remember that the vacuum you pull will in no way effect your idle. The whole system is sealed, from the modulator to the carbs. Its not like an air leak, where air is actually drawn into the intake system.

Also, no matter which way you go in getting your vacuum signal, there is a very good chance that you will have to adjust the modulator. Not only do you have a different transmission, but due to the cam, carbs, compression, etc of the engine, its vacuum signal will be different then one from a stock engine.

Good luck, we're counting on you Very Happy
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

All right now that’s some info!

I like the reservoir idea and I probably have one lying around I can re-purpose and strap in where the charcoal canister went.
I also though about using an electric vacuum unit from a salvaged passat.
This would require some kind of signal input, maybe from the RPM in the engine. I might even get to use my breadboard for this project!
Well see where this goes...
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

After some searching, I understand how the vacuum modulator works. I also get why Bob said use four lines. Its better to get an average vacuum from all ports than one because more variables means a better average of what the trans should be doing. The modulator is more like a mechanical computer than anything else. vacuum is the input and shift pressure is the output.

It would be possible to make a program with different levels of vacuum like 10hg-20hg in 1 hg increments. This would require an adjustable vacuum source and does not seem to have much return for the effort.

As far as a reservoir. I don't think it will work because the trans does not use vacuum; it READS the vacuum. I am going to test a reservoir with a vacuum gauge just to see what happens, but I think it will max out and hold.

I actually found a lot of help from v8 forums with super cams and no manifold vacuum. I suppose what really matters are the upper and lower limits of the modulator itself. Im also getting nervous my SVDA wont get enough vac because of my 110 cam. Definitely have to test that.

Maybe Ill come up with the magical solution in my sleep and not have to drill my new manifolds Sad
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

I rethought the reservoir/ check valve concept, and I don't think it will work either. What you would probably ended up with is the reservoir being at full vacuum all of the time. As far as reading versus using vacuum for the modulator, that might just be a case of semantics. You can think of the modulator as a syringe with a spring. In a normal syringe, when you put vacuum on the end, it pulls the plunger in. However, put a spring in between the plunger and the end, then apply vacuum the plunger will still be drawn inwards. However, when you release the vacuum the plunger returns to its original state. When you adjust the modulator, you are adding or subtracting the springs preload.

As far as the vacuum for your SVDA. Do your carbs have vacuum ports on them? If so, you might have to tie a couple of them together. Other wise you can use manifold vacuum. If you can get enough for the transmission to shift, you should get enough for the distributer.

Since you visit the V8 world, you can get better information on the pros and cons there then here. However, I'm running manifold vacuum on my dizzy. The main difference that I have found, is that I have more advance at an idle. That means when ever I sync the carbs, set timing etc> I have to pull three of the vacuum lines off and plug them, with the fourth still connect If I don't do it this way, when I reconnect the vacuum lines, the dizzy advances and the idle speed climbs dramatically.

Like Bob said, that is the price of having an automatic transmission. You have to go outside of the box to make things work. Also, I have been hesitant to bring this up, but there is an extremely high chance that your transmission will not shift at the proper point to get the most out of your powerband (I am losing 800 RPM), so to get the most out of your engine, you might have to row the shifter.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

As far as the vacuum for your SVDA. Do your carbs have vacuum ports on them? If so, you might have to tie a couple of them together. Other wise you can use manifold vacuum. If you can get enough for the transmission to shift, you should get enough for the distributer.

Actually you really want "ported" vacuum for the distributor. This is because as you climb into the revs, the vac advance will be "all in", and the mechanical avance will be closing in on it's same point of "all in". If you use manifold vacuum, it's "all in" all the time, and you're basically just using it as an 009. If your carbs have the small vac port on them, you could try tying them into 1 hose to the distributor, although you might find just tying 1 side will be enough for it to operate correctly. This would be a "trial and error"kind of thing, as each engine is different, and responds differently.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Going to continue with my carb setup this weekend.

Decided to tackle the fuel pump problems because fuel is important. I have a carter 3 psi rotary pump that is going to be used. Will post pics of mount after I figure out/make one.

The p/o's mechanic was probably a bug one who had no knowledge of t3s, and little knowledge of electrical systems. He soldered the +12 wire at the top, but taped the + and - at the fuel pump...

Horn wire was tapped into for the facet 6psi pump. Got rid of that.

I went back to the factory harness, and just pulled the pins out of the white connector.
I don't think tape was a VW approved method of connecting wires...WHO DOES THIS Shocked

Used a connector to splice the red harness wire to the red fuse block wire to bypass the EFI relay.

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Bob,

I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but your description of manifold vacuum is not quite right. Here is some good reading on manifold vs. ported vacuum. Yes it is from the V8 world, but in this case physics are physics, and it applies to all engines. One good thing I have noticed about using manifold over ported vacuum, is the throttle response from a dead idle to rapid acceleration. With manifold vacuum it is enhanced greatly, and really helps with the automatic when starting from a stop sign and crossing or blending into traffic that doesn't stop.

http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/vacuum/port_or_manifold.htm
My builds
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

I did some research about ported vs manifold vacuum and it seems to depend on the distributor. I think Bob is saying the SVDA dist. is meant to use ported vacuum so it is not advancing at idle.

I can definitely see how the extra advance at idle would help with the auto trans, especially with a cam. But that does defeat the purpose of the SVDA which is meant to change advance when the throttle opens.

I'm going to try both and see how it goes. My 40s have one ported vac each with a brass screw in them so its not like I have to tap the carb for one. I had really bad idle problems with my 34 ict's but they also had vacuum leaks and showed no ported vacuum.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

In my case I used an 028 distributer. It started life as a DVDA, but I swapped out the vacuum can to turn it into a SVDA. In this configuration it is similar to the 034, but a little milder. I experimented with a vacuum gauge and timing light when I hooked it up to manifold vacuum (I didn't have an option). The vacuum signal nearly mirrored that of my ported ICTs (except idle). Cruising down the freeway, I am running close to 40 degrees, but when I open the throttle hard, all the vacuum dumps and goes to mechanical only.

Luckily you will have three options to play with: one barrel, two barrels, or manifold. I know you will have your hands full when you first fire it off, but once you get it broken in a bit, find out which combo works best for you.
My builds
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed getting the idle right for the auto is tough. I actually do a lot of FI stuff, just not on aircooled yet. Ill have to get my dads help with the carbs because I cant even adjust my solex 30/31 very well on my 1200.

As far as distributors go I dont really know that much about specific ones, only that the 009s dont work well for me and the SVDA I got works a little better.

Plan to learn a lot this weekend setting up the IDAs. Hopefully everything runs smooth since they are already set up and jetted.

I remember having to set idle around 1150(in N) with the ICTs I had and shut the car off in drive to prevent run on. Any lower and I kept dying in traffic. At this point I really wish I went with megasquirt instead of carbs.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New 71 squareback owner Reply with quote

Lunch update

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: