Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

The '52 to '55 workshop manual advises to seal the lenses using D15 sealing compound, about 10 grams, kneaded and rolled into a strand of about 3mm diameter. This method conforms well to the odd shapes involved and is particularly good for sealing (and adjusting the height of) the heart lens. The same approach is used to seal the license light lens.

The alternative method of using a gasket relies on the heart lens spring to provide adequate crush all around on a necessarily soft pliable seal. A heart lens gasket is not shown in the AUG '54 parts manual.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Ok - so the parts manual does show for the flat lens and the bezel that there is an oval seal for in there, not a compound. But I think you're right... That a compound was indeed used on the heart from factory as that's what I cleaned off the lens this morning. I see the same man who carries the heart seals also carries the lower lens seal.
Now, to find a place that carries the D15 close to home. I have a couple places in mind that will probably have something similar.

Semaphores on their way to my house right meow!
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
but let's be serious... Who will see the starter?

You will know what it looks like and it will keep you from sleeping. Wink

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:
but let's be serious... Who will see the starter?

You will know what it looks like and it will keep you from sleeping. Wink

Bahaha! Ok fine. You suck because you're right! Laughing

It's really a shame I have to mail these out as I really want to keep them to admire the color! Love how it turned out. The perfect purplish brown.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
The '52 to '55 workshop manual advises to seal the lenses using D15 sealing compound, about 10 grams, kneaded and rolled into a strand of about 3mm diameter.

Might try butyl rubber AKA Dum Dum putty. It is the only stuff that will both flex and keep sticking to the taillight parts for decades, and is an easy clean off. VW used it to seal places in the Beetle like under the 50s and earlier front hood VW emblem. You can get it in grey or black, the latter would be perfect for the TL lense.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

See anything you need?

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Yes, Don!
I'll fire you an email Wink

You keep saving the day!
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Found out today that my transmission won't be finished or delivered by this weekend. The guy has had it for 20 months and has promised it to me numerous times. I could cry.

I'm beyond frustrated. I haven't packed up my engine components yet to send with him and I just can't get the energy to do it.

My dad is on his way over and I know exactly what he's going to say when I tell him what has happened.

I'm posting this as I hope that one day I'll find humour in all these frustrations and delays.
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

20 months??? Confused I empathize with your frustration.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I know your builder and I also know the hell that has been his life for the last 2 years. It is not his full time job, and he has dealt with more than his fair share of misery in that time. I understand your frustration but he's a great guy, he's not out to make your life miserable.

If you can't wait you can always send it to the US and pay their prices to have stuff built.

brad
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Found out today that my transmission won't be finished or delivered by this weekend. The guy has had it for 20 months and has promised it to me numerous times. I could cry.

I'm beyond frustrated. I haven't packed up my engine components yet to send with him and I just can't get the energy to do it.

My dad is on his way over and I know exactly what he's going to say when I tell him what has happened.

I'm posting this as I hope that one day I'll find humour in all these frustrations and delays.

20 months?!?! Shocked Wow... You're a heck of a lot more patient than most folks.

If he's had life difficulties, I hope he's kept you in the loop and offered you to come get it and take it elsewhere.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I just spoke to him; yes I know about his life difficulty which is why I have been so patient. Yes he is a great guy and I didn't want to upset him, remain sensitive to his situation, and still get my stuff done. I know he's not being tardy on purpose.

I had just been promised too many times which lead me to become frustrated. I explained to him again how long he's had it and that I needed it back. Like, now. He apologized and we came up with a plan. Here's to hoping that our plan pans out.

The problem lies herein; there is nowhere close that would be any quicker. He offered to let me take it but I don't want to sit on someone else's wait list.
2016 Golf R - my daily
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...;start=300

Look at this page. You may contact Gary and see what his wait time is. He's in Washington state.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:

I am getting three AS-1 6mm windscreens cut so that if I bust one it's no big deal, and so I have spares that will fit. I'll store the extras out of the way this time! 5mm AS-1 glass no longer exists despite my hoping otherwise, but I was warned that this was the case.

I hope you haven't committed to the three windows from 6mm glass, because what you were told is false.
5mm laminated glass is still made and is not hard to get. The shop that told you otherwise was lying.
The truth is that it is illegal for them to install 5mm laminated glass in a car today. But they aren't going to be doing the installing, you are.
I was at my local glass shop today and the guy said they have plenty of 5mm glass in stock and they sell lots of it for other uses not involving cars. He invited me to bring my template in and he would cut the glass for me so I could install it.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

I am getting three AS-1 6mm windscreens cut so that if I bust one it's no big deal, and so I have spares that will fit. I'll store the extras out of the way this time! 5mm AS-1 glass no longer exists despite my hoping otherwise, but I was warned that this was the case.

I hope you haven't committed to the three windows from 6mm glass, because what you were told is false.
5mm laminated glass is still made and is not hard to get. The shop that told you otherwise was lying.
The truth is that it is illegal for them to install 5mm laminated glass in a car today. But they aren't going to be doing the installing, you are.
I was at my local glass shop today and the guy said they have plenty of 5mm glass in stock and they sell lots of it for other uses not involving cars. He invited me to bring my template in and he would cut the glass for me so I could install it.

Interesting. He told me that the AS-1 no longer came in 5mm. I was assured that I'd have no trouble installing the 6mm glass.
The other trouble would be shipping a windscreen. I'd have no way to get it other than buying local without taking a chance.
2016 Golf R - my daily
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
I just spoke to him; yes I know about his life difficulty which is why I have been so patient. Yes he is a great guy and I didn't want to upset him, remain sensitive to his situation, and still get my stuff done. I know he's not being tardy on purpose.

I had just been promised too many times which lead me to become frustrated. I explained to him again how long he's had it and that I needed it back. Like, now. He apologized and we came up with a plan. Here's to hoping that our plan pans out.

The problem lies herein; there is nowhere close that would be any quicker. He offered to let me take it but I don't want to sit on someone else's wait list.

I don't know your builder or what he is going through but consider this: How will you get your stuff back if something bad happens to him? If his situation is a personal health issue and if God forbid he were to die while he still has your transmission you may have a very difficult time getting it back. Is it still together or has it been taken apart yet? If it is apart that could make things even more complicated should something bad happen.

I am sure we would all have compassion for someone going through a difficult time but I have also seen many instances where customers lost out big time because of a supplier's life going to hell.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:

I just had my 54 tranny rebuilt & restored by Justin & Colton at Blackline Racing here in Salt Lake (http://www.blacklineracing.net/). Justin & his team are some of the most well renown VW engine & trans builders on the planet, and he has an affinity for 36hp & early stuff. Such great guys to work with. Really happy with how mine turned out, and the process took about a month. If you decide to look for another builder, you should consider him. And I'd be happy to help shepherd it through the process. A few pics of mine:

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Bruce wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Interesting. He told me that the AS-1 no longer came in 5mm. I was assured that I'd have no trouble installing the 6mm glass.
The other trouble would be shipping a windscreen. I'd have no way to get it other than buying local without taking a chance.

It could be your terminology that's causing the problem. AS-1 and AS-2 are DOT designations. Since the shops aren't allowed to install 5mm laminated glass, it won't have a DOT designation. IOW, I think by asking for AS-1, you are asking for 6mm glass.
Try a different shop and ask for "laminated" 5mm glass instead of AS-1.
Is your father coming out this way any time soon? He could bring you back some from my local shop.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I didn't ask for AS-1 at all. I asked for 5mm glass. Since the safety standard is AS-1 and since I modified my car for seatbelts; I figured the 6mm AS-1 glass wasn't a bad idea in the end.
The SIGLA logo has AS-1 written right in it. So really, if I'm putting that etching back on it should actually be AS-1 glass.
I plan on driving the car, and once the sunscreen is installed, no one will know it's 1mm thicker.

We are going to be in Vancouver for the ACVW car show in August, but I think I am totally cool with the 6mm glass Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

don't know if this might help...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645719&highlight=windsheild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 53

Jump to: