Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Those mesh screens are hilarious; we had those on our civic wagon when I was growing up Laughing

I was thinking of having the lenses wrapped in xpel to protect them from stone chips and pitting. I bought another new car so when I finally take delivery of it and it goes in for paint protection, I was going to ask then.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Any updates, Charmaine?
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Any updates, Charmaine?

Been plunking away... As in spending money on shit and not actually 'doing' anything.

My friend, Trevor came across some heater boxes correct for my car. I almost fell off my chair! I pick them up tomorrow. What makes them correct? The ribs, holes and weld nut.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once I pick them up, I'm going to drop them off to be powder coated. And, I'll drop off my glove box insert to be flocked at the same time as I have the flocking on hand.

My friend who does Xpel is going to cover my glass lenses so that they resist chips and breakage. I expect those to be done next week.

My other friend who tig welded my gas tank is going to weld the brackets for the window lifters onto the new sashes I got from Virtanen. He just got a new shop so his welder needs to be set up at the new place, which should be any day now. Then I'll have the finished product zinc plated to prevent the extreme rust from happening again.

Yay for friends!

I've been avoiding calling the chrome shop because I'm afraid what it's going to cost. And I haven't had time to write out detailed instructions and label everything according to my instructions. But I will try to do this soon. Now that my mom brought my extra wing window frames home I haven't yet drilled the rivets out. Also on the list.

My wheels, semaphores and gas tank should be ready so I'll touch base about those.

Thanks for bringing me back to focus Cool
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

A couple small updates.

Got my stuff in order to send to the chrome platers.
I called today so now they're expecting my shipment. Am I missing anything? The ashtray is in good condition. I just realized the ashtray handle isn't pictured, but I packed it up. I spent an hour labelling and packing it all up carefully to mail out. 30 pieces total, plus I'm sending my horn bezel that Koch's failed to straighten, so hopefully they can repair it. I've also included my ashtray assembly. So that makes 33 pieces. My interior handles and cranks are all excellent condition, and I was going to buy new horn grilles and emblem for the hood. My bumpers and guards are new so no need to send those.

Door handles and bases, wing windows, stops, mounts, gutters and latches, hood and deck lid handles, speaker grill and ash tray pull, headlight rings, speedo ring, window channels, and mirror back, arm, acorn nut and screw. Plus the horn ring, ashtray assembly and pull which aren't pictured, but are packed up.

Got another one of these in the mail so I will send it off to be plated to match this one. Don't worry, I have the collar, it will go to be plated with the other side as it was missed first go. These stupid doors and vent windows are going to be the death of me... So many broken, worn out, hard to find and expensive pieces. I found out the spring from my driver's side window regulator has not withstood the cleaning/plating process so I need one of those if anyone has one.

And my nice new window sashes, with the original bracket welded into place. The original welds were wonky and so the new welds match, as they're in the exact same spots. They'll get dropped off to be plated next week. If you zoom you can see the holes in the original sashes.

Gas tank and hopefully semaphores and wheels will be ready next week. The body guy is killing me, he's like molasses in January.

My finished transmission is supposed to be delivered to me mid June. I'm not holding my breath but holy man that would be nice.

I've got my newly acquired heater boxes and shoes soaking in deep creep so hopefully they will come apart without too much difficulty... Right now most of the fasteners won't budge. I totally thought I was beyond this stage of prying rusty shit apart but oh well.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Got the wing window rivets drilled out so now I have everything ready to send to be chromed, along with detailed instructions per the advice on here. I'll send this week.

Managed to get one of the shoes open and was pleasantly surprised how intact all the mechanisms inside were. The ones that came on my car were completely rusted, broken and missing inside so I had no idea how they even worked.

But this one is very easy to see!

The driver's side is quite rusty so I know I'm going to struggle getting it apart. I only managed to get one bolt. I'm going to take my time, and soak and soak. I really wanted to get them off to be powder coated but everything taking forever seems to be how I roll.

Passenger side. Just need to carefully disassemble the inside.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'd love to see the effect Evaporust would have on this stuff.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I'd love to see the effect Evaporust would have on this stuff.

Don

I'be been getting a lot of things tanked so that's kinda the same thing?

So yesterday, got the glove box delivered for flock, sent out my stuff in the mail for Chrome, a friend offered to help with the seized bolts on the heater boxes (2 left) and my brother offered to help pound out some dents and imperfections in the heater boxes and shoes to get them in better shape.

Once the shoes are disassembled, I'll send them to be stripped, then my brother will straighten, then off to be powder coated. I need to order some new j-tubes for the inside, and will likely ceramic coat them... Which means I need to ream out the intake manifold to make sure it's ready for ceramic coating also.

Body guy says my gas tank and wheels and semaphores should be done this week, and it's a good thing he's stopping by as I found the hood arms in my garage which need to be body color so I need to make sure he gets those, too.

My generator housing is being plated this week; I hope to get the window sashes and other misc hardware to be plated, but I'll probably wait until the generator is ready to be picked up after reassembly. I need to find another driver's side window regulator spring.... Don, do you have any kicking around?
This is the 'good' passenger side one.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

See about having your powder coater apply a marine zinc primer first. Then the color coat goes over that. The marine zinc primer keeps the rust away from burrowing right under the powder coating.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

All my door stuff is for non ribbed ice pick doors (does this sentence make sense to you?) but the springs *might* be the same.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
All my door stuff is for non ribbed ice pick doors (does this sentence make sense to you?) but the springs *might* be the same.

Don

I think the springs are the same, which is why I ask. I know the gross shape of the regulator is different as mine is completely flat. But I think the spring is the same throughout oval years.

Got my heater boxes apart with the help of my friend Aaron. We ended up cutting the bolts off and that worked well.

However, the bolt I snapped took the weld nut with it after it was heated up, as we tried to pick the remains of the drilled bolt out. Now that needs repairing.

I'll send these off as soon as I can to be stripped. I was surprised to learn the inside flap spring does not come out without drilling the rivets out. I got the cotter pin and flap out but the remaining mechanism is riveted in place. That looks like a pain to replace. I am hoping the springs survive being tanked.

The flap looks like it has a fabric gasket on it. Something else that looks not very fun to renew.

I saw that the chrome shop got my stuff as per the tracking so I hope to follow up tomorrow with a price quote and confirmation that all arrived as I shipped it. Will also follow up with body guy tomorrow.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quick update.
So I was moving my stuff around in the basement as the city came to change out my water meter. I moved my windshield and while trying to be careful, it slipped out of its cardboard wrap and it sustained an additional crack. Rather than keeping it in my basement and risk it being damaged further...on June 1st, I took all my glass to a local glass shop to have new glass cut.

I am getting three AS-1 6mm windscreens cut so that if I bust one it's no big deal, and so I have spares that will fit. I'll store the extras out of the way this time! 5mm AS-1 glass no longer exists despite my hoping otherwise, but I was warned that this was the case.

I also am having them cut tempered 5mm glass for the sides of the car.

All glass will come with no etching so I can replicate the original etching.

I also dropped off my heater boxes to be stripped as well as some hardware etc to be cleaned and plated. I hope it all comes back ok with no surprises.
The plater scared me and said he lost my headlight mounts, but thankfully let me know he found them yesterday. Hope to have my plated generator back next week. I got all the door handle inner pieces back as well as my rebuilt starter so now I can clean that and paint it. I would love photos of a properly finished starter so I can refinish it correctly. My guess is painting it assembled is going to be a real PITA... So hopefully partially disassembling it isn't over my head as the generator was.

I spent some time looking for new hardware for my heater boxes as I mangled a few getting them out... And upon closer inspection, the bolts were just normal 10mm heads that had a flat head slot cut into them. I'll post pics when I'm home if I remember.

Looks like I can only find the M6 weldnut for the heater show from WW so here goes another order for the smallest part ever.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'm going to dig out the door regulator spring this weekend if you still want it. Also show me a picture of the weldnut you want.

Don
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

The starter should be assembled and painted as one unit if you want it to be factory correct. The connectors for the starter wire and the battery cable should be masked off but other than that the entire assembly gets painted as one piece.

Just as the entire front suspension from drum to drum was painted once assembled, the starter was assembled then painted as one unit most likely by Bosch. It is just another part that makes up the car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Don - yes please! I can get you a photo of the weld nut but it looks identical to the fender weld nuts... Just m6, not m8.
Here it is on the WW site.

I also need new j-tubes but was going to order from a place closer to home. I will get them from WW if I am going to make an order tho.

Chris - thanks!! Can you show a photo of the wrapping on the ground/support? I can take pics when I'm at home to show you what I mean. There was cloth tape wrap? Any suggestions where to buy this, or do I use hockey tape, lol. So the whole thing gets painted black?
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

The weldnut.

The interesting slot head bolt Laughing I'll just buy aftermarket bolts and take an angle grinder to them to duplicate... Unless anyone has some OG M6 bolts, with 10mm head and are 12mm long. Very Happy

This strap. Gets what kind of tape?

One of these flaps from inside the heater shoe turned into a holey mess following tanking.
Needing to find another... Good grief. This is the good one.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Take the nut down to a good threaded fastener shop. At the very least they should be able to give you the exact name. Then you can find it easier on line.

Heat shrink for the strap.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

My split originally had some sort of paper sleeve covering that strap.

This fiberglass tape would be what I would probably use. Either variety should work.

splitjunkie wrote:

High temp
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7574a11/=11aarh4

Solvent resistant
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7574a24/=11aas5f

Heat shrink is a good choice too.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

What a great thread! I love, love, love the anal attention to detail. I look forward to your updates!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Take the nut down to a good threaded fastener shop. At the very least they should be able to give you the exact name. Then you can find it easier on line.

Heat shrink for the strap.

I will do this when I go to get some plain m6 bolts.
I think I have some assorted heat shrink in the garage so I'll either use that or buy some... Or failing that get some fibreglass tape. I think the fibreglass tape looks more authentic but let's be serious... Who will see the starter?

wcfvw69 wrote:
What a great thread! I love, love, love the anal attention to detail. I look forward to your updates!

When being called anal is a good thing Wink thanks!! Laughing

So I got word yesterday that the engine guy is coming next weekend to drop off my transmission Shocked that means I have a lot of stuff to try to get ready for him, and I hope I can get my generator back in time to send with him. I love how everyone takes their time and then all of a sudden I'm rushing!!
I need to get my intake manifold unplugged to send with him, so I dug that out yesterday and soon realized it was so plugged that I would need magic to do it myself. I have asked Trevor for help and so I drop it off on Monday.

My painted semaphore arms are to be dropped off today. So last night I disassembled my taillights so that he'll now have all parts to be painted body color. I thought my taillight bezels were in better shape but they definitely need a chrome so I'll pop those in the mail to the chrome shop Monday, as well as the semaphore arms to be finished being rebuilt.

So. Heart taillights.
I'm needing another oval lens as mine do not match (recall my driver's side original was smashed so I bought a whole driver's side complete). So I need either a Hassia or a Hella to make a matched pair.

Then the bezels. One came out perfectly and easily. The middle one is from my smashed light. Then the 'good' passenger side one was nicely rusted to the housing and the tabs were severely brittle, resulting in 5 of them breaking. So I'm going to send all 3 to the chrome shop and maybe they can repair the weak tabs, or straighten the smashed one. In any case I think having a spare is a good idea.

I have one NOS heart and I'm soaking the other is warm soapy water right now to clean it. I have two more that are my originals and are chipped around the edges.

I've got the housings wrapped up and ready to go. The inside of my original was very rusty so hopefully it doesn't need too much work.

It would appear that the good taillight that I bought had the hear sealed with silicone. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I can use for seals? Do the oval lenses have two? (Bezel to body and lens to bezel), and another seal of some sort for the heart? And of course another seal for the whole assembly to the car, which I see are available from WW.

Then lastly... I discovered my original bulb holder (passenger) is missing a contact piece for the lower bulb. In addition to being very rusty, I hope it's repairable. My driver's side one was not included with the car as it was likely completely crushed.

Wish me luck that I get everything ready and that my transmission actually shows up next weekend. I know I won't likely have my heater boxes ready (they've been cleaned), but I have to pick them up, get a weldnut (likely have to order it), then have it repaired, then have them straightened/debts removed, then powder coated so that's just not possible to get done in one week's time. But hoping for generator and intake to be ready. I'll hopefully start packing up all my engine components today to send with the engine guy back to finish my engine.
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
It would appear that the good taillight that I bought had the hear sealed with silicone. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I can use for seals?

Here are the gaskets you need:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=405206

These are great. With a gasket in place the lens sits nearly flush with the housing instead of sticking way up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 53

Jump to: