Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove those 60 year old mangled door hinge screws?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: How to remove those 60 year old mangled door hinge screws? Reply with quote

So, off and on I've posted deconstruction photos from my 55 Commercial 'Snappy' that I am working towards 'rusturection'...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before getting into bodywork, I've left what I think are amongst the worst mechanical issues for last and those are the front door hinge screws.

After soaking for over a year, periodically applying a liberal amount of acetone/oil mixture, I took to it yesterday to remove my doors from the bus.

I was able to successfully remove the left side door:

The lower hinge pin (211831421) was an easy drift out. I was able to remove the 4 upper Countersunk Raised Head Screws (N142892) by pounding the appropriate Phillips Socket into the screws' slots and using a breaker bar to break loose the screws.

LH Upper A -- Successfully removed the bolts - gonna need to replace the A Pillar though

I was unsuccessful in removing the other screws. Pics follow:

LH lower -- Sheared one bolt while removing it... other three are rusted in.

RH upper A - Rusted

RH lower A - Rusted

RH upper - Hinge Rusted 211831421B

I am attempting to refrain from heating/welding so as not to distemper any of the hinge (211831401, 405, 411, 412) metal.

What opinions do you have as to removal of these Rusted and distorted Screws.

Also, Any advice on removing the rusted mirror hinge pins (211831421B)?

Thanks,

Kevin

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check with Eric at Nor Cal Relics. he can point you to a tool that works good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool:

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,3698.html

Combined with an air chisel and an impact bit set.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAT HEAT HEAT till red hot. Sorry but that always does the trick for 50 plus years of old screws and hinge pins. Never had any issues putting heat to hinges and phillip screws on my 55.
Cut off the remaining mirror arm, use a center punch and support the hing with a 2x4.
A torch is your best friend when you have something this old. You have more old screws then just doors waiting for you.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, use the tool that fits on an air chisel. It works good with the vibration. Mine is a Snap-on that I bought out of one of their tool trucks for about $40, years ago. It is one of those tools that people should have in their tool boxes.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't want to weld but... I use KCW's trick, weld a bolt onto them. The heat + bolt is 100% success and if you use a heat sink there's 0% chance of messing up anything else.

If anything the hinges are already shot from 40+ years of no use Smile
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what WILL remove those screws. Weld a bolt to those screw heads. Then you will have a hex head to work with. Welding a bolt is much more accurate way of concentrating the heat. You cant contain the heat of a torch as well as the "bolt weld" method. I x2 and x3 the bolt method. Used it many times.
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
This tool:

I can't believe that's only 40 miles from my house Very Happy
But how does it work? I've never seen a tool like this used

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGTHUG wrote:
campingbox wrote:
This tool:

I can't believe that's only 40 miles from my house :D

The handle mounts on an air chisel and the impact bit mounts on the end. While you squeeze the trigger on the chisel you slowly work the handle left or right to break it free. Buy one - without a doubt it's the best tool for this job.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
BUGTHUG wrote:
campingbox wrote:
This tool:

The handle mounts on an air chisel and the impact bit mounts on the end. While you squeeze the trigger on the chisel you slowly work the handle left or right to break it free. Buy one - without a doubt it's the best tool for this job.

What tool are you using now? Just a screw driver is not going to work unless you are really lucky.

If you don't have air, one of the whack them on the end impact driver tools works.
I would definitely use that before getting out the torch.
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
BUGTHUG wrote:
campingbox wrote:
This tool:

I'm going up there in a few days, the outdoor store is a place to spend most of the day. They get a lot of their supply from the aircraft co.'s, they have about 10 Quonset huts full of sheets of aluminum, and slabs. Part of the store inside is like a Army/Navy surplus store, lots of weird do-hickeys.
I don't know if you seen their sticker, it says "I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning" If you want a sticker, send me a e-mail with your address and I'll send you a couple. Smile

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always just drill them out.take about a minute per screw.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

What tool are you using now? Just a screw driver is not going to work unless you are really lucky.

If you don't have air, one of the whack them on the end impact driver tools works.
I would definitely use that before getting out the torch.

I was not using a screw driver.

I was able to remove the 4 upper Countersunk Raised Head Screws (N142892) by pounding the appropriate Phillips Socket into the screws' slots and using a breaker bar to break loose the screws.

The goto method will be to acquire a 4" Old Man, and apply it to my air chissel... Thanks Greg. Now I have to find if Snap-On in Canada has an OLD-MAN or get one shipped to Canada, or my favourite border address.

If that doesn't work, then I will probably have to resort to welding the nut onto the screws' heads.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
You can always just drill them out.take about a minute per screw.

Not for a novice.

Even for the experienced it takes much longer than a minute.

Start with 1/8" drill bit. Cobalt ones are real nice to have. Once thru with that you go up a size or two in drill bits and drill out the hole bigger and at same time can adjust how centered your hole is drilled.
If perfectly centered and perfectly straight you will see the spiral of the threads appear and use a scribe to work out the now spring like remains of the fastener. If off to one side you now have a crescent shape of bolt left that will require using a punch to pry out the chunk of fastener. Either way best to use a thread chaser to reform and damaged threads. Taps tend to just remove any mushed up threads making them thinner/weaker. Above all if using a tap, make sure it is not an over sized one!! A good quality HSS (High Speed Steel) tap will have marking like H1 or L1 if bigger or smaller than nominal. H= Larger diameter, L= smaller diameter, and 1 = 1/10,000" bigger or smaller. So a H3 will be 3/10,000 bigger and loose so fastener can be finger spun into the threads.

If one must drill use LH drill bits. More often than not with vibration and heat from friction the threaded chunk will just come out with the drill due to rotating CCwise.

Agree though that welding to the fastener head and quickly water cooling works fine/easier. With less chance of thread damage and will not change temper the hinge.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I watched a video of "glideking" doing the weld on a nut trick- check out his thread for more details- cannot recall what page it is on but he has been poisting lots of vids

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=160
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool Mr. Campingbox suggested with an air chisel is tits for this kind of job.
Before I fashioned myself something similar but much cruder, I had about a half dozen gate hinge screws on my SC that were in snug enough that the heads on the screws stripped while attempting extraction
The screws are made from a pretty soft alloy, so they strip easy, but also drill out easy.

I drilled a small hole through the middle (the stripped Phillips centres the bit nicely). Drilled the hole all the way through.
Then aimed the sharp blue flame of my micro torch in the little hole. This has the great advantage of heating up the screw much faster than the surrounding area so you get the expansion differential that weakens the corrosion bond on the threads

While it was still good and HOT, I used an Easy Out to turn out the screws.
I know, I know, I don't like relying on Easy Outs either, BUT, they do have their place in the tool box for specific applications.
I found this to be one of them, as the screws were surprisingly easy to turn out good and hot.
I only had one that was really stubborn and I was not about to apply the amount of torque that would come close to breaking the Easy Out (having performed that miracle in the past), so I had to drill out one screw entirely.
It was somewhat tedious, but no more so than a hundred other tedious jobs required on these rusted relics.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the tool and try it first before using any of the other methods. As I noted earlier, everyone should have one in his tool box. The end is like the end of an impact driver that you hit with a sledge hammer. You can change bits in it.
Years ago, I was able to remove all but one small phillips screw from the hinge carrier of my 1957 bus. That last screw was stuck and the center of the screw had gotten pretty rounded. I thought that I would have to drill it out in order to remove the engine door hinge. I bought the tool from Snap-On, put it on my air chisel, and it removed the screw. Very Happy
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an extreme PITA to find specialty tool suppliers in Canada.
In Edmonton, I am 500 miles from the US border, but in the heart of Oil and Gas fabrication country. Can't find the old man to save my life. What gives?
Snap-On doesn't show it in the catalogue, nor does Mac Tools. The little guy specialty houses also don't show the tools in their extractor kits.

So, I have a 3/8" Drive 4" Old Man on order from a supplier on Amazon.
I sent it to my US address at Montana Shipping Outlet. I tend to make a few trips down a year for items as I hate to unnecessarily forward Government(s) duty and taxes not explicitly determined prior to purchase.

The T-handle 8mm box nut tool I bought from Samestagsales was levied with a 100% duty. Not happy about paying over $50 for an 18$ tool.

I recently bought a Kukkos 6304-5-6 puller set, a Rilex 6305 puller, a 24mm reamer and a Jogr Drift that I waited 4 months to pick up. But they were worth it. Smooth as butter bearing extractions and bushing drifts. Easy on the wallet. Free from randomized levy.

6305 in Action...

So I'll revive this thread once I get the tool and give my screws a whack!

I digress.

Kevin

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't pick up the knocker yet, but due to some impatience on behalf of Pete, I (we) was able to get the screws out.

It took:
Heat, but we still broke screws. We then ground the boss of M8 vinyl nuts and mig'ed them to two of the remnant studs; Worked better than drilling out and tapping a third broken stud

When I get it, I Will update as to using the knocker on some other, less critical door glass frames and maybe on some door hinge screws from my Single Cab.

Thanks Pete...

Wheelie Pete wrote:
I kept driving down the Alaskan highway backs towards Edmonton.

Everything became flat

Frankie wasnt having it

Traffic picked up, lanes widened

a few nice bridges

then downtown Edmonton

and back to Kevin's house!

Spent a day washing the bus, and helping Kevin on his bus. Since I left he took the front door off, and I offered him a hand welding his bus up and getting the door back on

His bus could be a candidate for Gerson doglegs, front clip, rockers, and what not, but there was a decent collision on this bus, and one panel replacement would quickly escalate into another panel, and another,.....

so we decided to fix what was there,

first was cracked a-pillar / hinge area

so I performed a little welding and grinding and it soon looked like the rest

next was the dog leg. I was able to cut out the rust, but that's where we stopped for the day

There were a 3 broken door screws, so we welded nuts to them and took them out. Soon a spare front door was on. Looks better already!

Tomorrow I'll head towards Calgary, visit Concept 1, and visit Mr. RiffRaff.

Next, I'll head south to Montana, and maybe visit Thermopolis, and maybe Jewel cave.

or I was thinking about driving through oil country in North dakota, via US 2. Haven't decided yet!

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used this knocker on my front doors for the first time yesterday and it work incredibly well. I was dreading taking the doors off but it took about 3 minutes for each door and the screws are intact. wow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: