Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Horn All

Good luck
Tcash
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash, helpful.
It was fairly easy to confirm that the wires to the horn itself were hot, the T1 connector behind the dash was hot both sides, the brown wire in the plug at the case of the column was hot and, in fact, the leaf contact on the turn signal switch was hot and the horn sounded when it was earthed.
It's funny, I've looked at the turn signal switch dozens of times, and I had always ASSumed that it was supposed to have a hole in it! Embarassed Turns out, it isn't!
Now, I need the horn working for the MOT test, and good quality replacement switches (and the brass ring on the steering wheel) won't arrive in time. So, I've rigged up a patch of kitchen foil, and bent up the leaf contact so that the whole thing works. How long for, I've no idea!
It's a great shame to have to replace the turn switch that is OG and works well otherwise, has anyone ever successfully repaired the copper contact?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

just solder it. it will work just fine

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
before I plunked the steering wheel back on I decided now would be a good time to repair this

figured it's better to repair old german than use new china

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Can't find it.

But one member filled the hole with solder.
Solder a piece of brass on the bottom of the hole
Or Back the hole up with a piece of wood ie pencil. Flux and fill in the hole with solder. File or sand smooth.

Good luck
Tcash
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

skillz nailed it. My first thought was solder it too.

neal, don't feel bad about not noticing that hole. I didn't see it until I saw your foil repair. Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Well, the first thing I'll say (which will become obvious! Very Happy ) is that I don't know a great deal about soldering. I was keen though to try a more permanent repair on the horn contact.
So, I took a deep breath, and prepared for the worst... This usually means I end up rendering the part I'm trying to repair, unusable, but I ploughed on! Razz

First step was to clean the copper contact with isopropyl alcohol. Then, to apply a little tinning solder to the edges of the hole. This resulted in huge gobs of solder on the copper, which I partly removed with de soldering braid. I had shaped a piece of dowel to back the hole, clipped on artery forceps to act as a heat sink, and protected the general area with paper towels...

I then cut a piece of the de soldering braid to act as a bit of a patch in the hole, and of course it just separated into a thousand copper fibres! Embarassed So, I tinned a section with solder and then cut it.
Next was an extremely fiddly bit, where I had to manoever the braid behind the hole...
20 min later it was in place!

Then, another spatter fest with the solder and eventually the hole was filled up. Not pretty, but I then carefully filed the sharp edges off with a needle file, and sanded it smooth(ish) with 600 grit abrasive. A smear of dielectric grease and it looked ok, so I whapped the steering wheel on and confirmed that it worked. Yay, and yay again! Very Happy Shocked
The worst looking bit is the braid stuck to the backside of the strip, but I don't think it affects the function.

My only advice to anyone considering this is, do it as soon as there is a hole in the copper contact. A small hole would be much easier to fix than a great big one!

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Nice repair.

You could probably snip part of that solder wick off with some small dikes, but like you said, it's doubtful to cause any issues.

I wonder if mine has the same damage.

My 1968 Campmobile
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Nice repair.

You could probably snip part of that solder wick off with some small dikes, but like you said, it's doubtful to cause any issues.

I wonder if mine has the same damage.

Thanks. Easy to check, five mins! Wink

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

You need to use flux and get some heat into it. A Butane Micro-Torch works well.
You can make a mean creme brulee with it too.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=sear...icro-Torch

Tcash
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Finally getting the wiring into a state I'm happy with!
I've detangled what I can, replaced most of the dodgy connectors and tied together bundles of wires and made tidy sheaths using fabric auto electric 'loom tape'. Some crimp connectors I have left as they are solid and working. The tape has a nice feel and looks a whole lot better than the failing PVC insulating tape that was on there.
Considering I have a few aftermarket gauges and a modern radio, I think it looks ok! Very Happy

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Some small jobs are getting done too. My radio aperture is a bit of a hacked up mess. The best I could do for now was to grind it with a dremel and straighten it with a flat file. I didn't think I could match the faded, wrinkle finish black paint, so I've masked a border and painted it with dark grey enamel. Another coat still to go on. (I painted the front face of the ashtray inner while I was at it too!)

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Slightly frustrating day today. My main objective was to get the Kombi ready for the MOT test. So, before the dash top went back on I wanted to adjust the heater cables, as they're a bugger to get to otherwise.
The actual heat cables that run to the rear of the van kept being forced out of the clamp/clip at the lever assembly. Turns out (after a couple of hours dirty work) that this was because there was a bent wire at the rear end and the wire is too short to allow an I'll range of movement. Sad I think this dates from when the engine was rebuilt a year or so ago and carelessness when it was put back in. Evil or Very Mad I've left it so the heat is partly on, with no adjustment possible and I'll either have to order a new cable, or find a way of extending the current one.
While I was doing that, I got caught up trying to set up the heat diverter lever that is in a flapper box about half way along the underside of the bus. I still have the OG NLA cable and had ordered a new cable clip which is needed to clamp the cable but, after getting it all dismantled, I realised the clip will not fit through the hole in the lever! I could grind it to shape, but I'm not sure the elements line up correctly at the moment, so ive left it!
Pics below of the cable and lever, which won't mean anything unless you've tried this fiddly, frustrating job!

Just when I thought I was finished for the day, I got Shona to check all the lights and hazard flashers. Everything needs to be tip top for the MOT. Everything did work, but the second time we tried the hazards, they just came on solid and didn't flash. It turned out to be a dodgy fuse contact but I thought for a while I was going to have to buy a new hazard switch!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

All that remained was to fit the dash back together...
This was more of a bind than I thought it would be, and amounted to loosely matching up the three parts (dash front, padded bar and metal dash top), starting the many fiddly nuts and screws (it helps if you're a left handed gibbon!) and battering the threaded parts through each other with your fist. Rolling Eyes
Got there eventually, and fitted the radio into its new, tidier slot!
The new speakers sound fantastic BTW! Very Happy Cool

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

All that remained was to fit the dash back together...
This was more of a bind than I thought it would be, and amounted to loosely matching up the three parts (dash front, padded bar and metal dash top), starting the many fiddly nuts and screws (it helps if you're a left handed gibbon!) and battering the threaded parts through each other with your fist. Rolling Eyes
Got there eventually, and fitted the radio into its new, tidier slot!
The new speakers sound fantastic BTW! Very Happy Cool

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Good luck on the MOT.

How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable

Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS

Tcash
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Good job on the turn signal ring, Phil.
I knew you were going to have a bit of a hard time soldering that. You need heat, lots of it, there. Like a 200 Watt soldering iron hot. A regular soldering iron just was going to be marginal at best, but you got it. And you needed something in back of it that the solder WOULDN'T stick to.

Keep at it bud. Applause

Going to the Open?

-dasdachshund
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
Good job on the turn signal ring, Phil.
I knew you were going to have a bit of a hard time soldering that. You need heat, lots of it, there. Like a 200 Watt soldering iron hot. A regular soldering iron just was going to be marginal at best, but you got it. And you needed something in back of it that the solder WOULDN'T stick to.

Keep at it bud. Applause

Going to the Open?

-dasdachshund

I had 48watts of pure butter-melting awesomeness at my disposal. Confused
More powerful than my previous budget tool, but I have a mind to get a more powerful iron, either a soldering station or a gas powered iron (probably handier in the vehicle!)
I'll check out the Open golf on the TV, although it's about five miles from Shona's mum's house! Cool

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Yaaaayyyy!! Cool Laughing
Kombi passed its MOT test, with NO advisory notices of problems to watch. That's another year of motoring in prospect. I got the garage to fit a new accelerator cable to replace the temporary wire I fitted in an emergency. The Auto accelerator cable has an awkward ball joint on the end that is tricky to get to and press into place, so I thought I'd save myself the hassle. Sadly it cost £55 for the fitting, which confirms that it is better to do these things yourself! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Shocked

Came past Dirleton Castle on the way home, for all you castle lovers out there (richparker!), but not in a direction that gives a good photo! Middle pic shows the gateway and doo'cot (dove cote), and the bottom pic has the walls and another gatehouse!
Just need to make a plan of work for the interior and start that today! Wink

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Love it!!! Congrats on getting back on the road and passing the MOT, the bus looks great. Can't wait to read about your next adventures.
’65 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 72

Jump to: