Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Update:
Photos from the 2016 event on this site
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=Type+3+Invasion+2016

More photos
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/jaransonT3/library/2016Invasion

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557854114495796/photos/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557854114495796/

=======================

OK....time to start planning for 2016!

For 2016, we should be heading back West...at least west of the Mississippi.

As you can see in the linked map, we have gotten pretty good coverage of the U.S.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The larger blue circles are a 500 mile radius from each of the Invasion sites. An easy day's drive.

I would love to have someone from the Flagstaff, AZ area volunteer to host the 2016 Invasion. The weather in late June there looks quite nice with average highs in the upper 70s to low 80s and cool nights. We would be close enough to the Grand Canyon for day trip there. It puts the Invasion an easy days drive from most of Southern California. It just seems like a very nice spot for a future Invasion.

Of course, I am open to any and all suggestions for Invasion sites for 2016. The criteria are really quite simple: West of the Mississippi River, smallish town, interesting things to see or do, park or natural setting for the Invasion with bathrooms and shade, and most important a willing and enthusiast local host. Please reply to this thread if you have a suggestion for a site.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in hosting the 2016 Invasion. I will still contribute with the hosting of the website, creating the artwork and t-shirts, and what ever other help is necessary, so you won't be going it alone. I am sure other past hosts will be happy to provide advice and suggestions as needed.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it also needs to be hosted closer to us atlanta people! It has been on my list to attend for quite some time, but guess 2016 isnt the year Sad
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
Looks like it also needs to be hosted closer to us atlanta people! It has been on my list to attend for quite some time, but guess 2016 isnt the year Sad

Sounds like you should have caravaned up with the Atlanta group that attended. Wink There had been talk of having an Invasion in the SE for quite some time, but nobody was willing to step up to the plate and host it. Shocked
It's a lot of work for the host, in that they have to find a park like setting with shade, hotel rooms, camp grounds and things to do and see.
This years attendence was down compared to other years too. I only say that, as I think the largest turn out was either 38 or 43 cars, and most years averaged 30 plus, with this year being down to 20 or so. Shocked Just something to keep in mind.
I've driven to 2 long distance Invasions in the past, and had something keep me from attending 2 others (Idaho and Oregon). Other than the time spent out on the road (Kansas and Nebraska are really boring), it was a lot fun caravaning with others in a group of type 3s. Not everyone will get an Invasion in their backyard either, so you're going to have to plan on doing some driving to attend. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

Not 2016, but my goal would be to hold the 2018 Invasion in the South East. We have never pulled a Florida car at an Invasion and only a few from the SE in general.

Somewhere along the Gulf Coast would be cool. Have never had an Invasion site near a large body of water.

Keep you eyes and ears open for possible sites down that way and let's make something happen for 2018!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

Sounds like you should have caravaned up with the Atlanta group that attended. Wink There had been talk of having an Invasion in the SE for quite some time, but nobody was willing to step up to the plate and host it. Shocked
It's a lot of work for the host, in that they have to find a park like setting with shade, hotel rooms, camp grounds and things to do and see.
This years attendence was down compared to other years too. I only say that, as I think the largest turn out was either 38 or 43 cars, and most years averaged 30 plus, with this year being down to 20 or so. Shocked Just something to keep in mind.
I've driven to 2 long distance Invasions in the past, and had something keep me from attending 2 others (Idaho and Oregon). Other than the time spent out on the road (Kansas and Nebraska are really boring), it was a lot fun caravaning with others in a group of type 3s. Not everyone will get an Invasion in their backyard either, so you're going to have to plan on doing some driving to attend. Rolling Eyes

Honestly, things have been so crazy the past couple of years that i haven't been able to make it to many shows... both my fastbackand my notch have issues with driving long distances as they like to overheat on meand vapor lock so they won't start. So I pretty much don't take them farther than a tank of gas will get me with them right now
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I would selfishly suggest southern California... it hasn't been there, its near a large body of water, likely bring of attendees...
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Of course I would suggest southern California..

KTPhil do you suggest between or Near San Ysidro Ca. and San Diego Ca.

count me IN Very Happy
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the weather in Flagstaff is nice, What about the capitol of New Mexico it is 6700 feet. Wish I had a type 3.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Squareback_Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you don’t know how excited I am to see that the next invasion MIGHT be w/in a few hours’ drive from my place. First thing I did was look at what there was to do in the area other than knowing the Grand Canyon is a short drive from Flagstaff. This is one of the first sites I found:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60971-Activities-Flagstaff_Arizona.html
About half the activities are talking about hiking, I’m not sure if this is something people are wanting to do or setting up a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon.
EITHER way I’m excited….guess I will need to get my build on and build my square.
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not opposed to considering a SoCal Invasion. We even have a offer for a NorCal site in the Redwoods. My thought with Flagstaff was that it would save us East Coast folks about 1000 miles versus going all the way to SoCal. Laughing

Keep the ideas coming, but keep in mind we need a local host where ever we end up.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squareback_Joe wrote:
Oh you don’t know how excited I am to see that the next invasion MIGHT be w/in a few hours’ drive from my place.

So Joe...think you could be our local host for Flagstaff or where ever you are in AZ? Cool
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of a Flagstaff invasion. Cool place with lots of places to stay and interesting stuff nearby. A Grand Canyon day cruise would be awesome. Jerome isn't too far away either. A drive from Flagstaff through Sedona to Jerome in a Type 3 would be something. Cool
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. 3.5 hours from the relatives that live in So. Utah. That might be doable.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
We are all going to Flagstaff. YAY!!!!!!!!
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carthage, MO 2010 being central to the country, there's been three on the West and three on the East.
In all fairness, Why not back in the middle?
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Carthage, MO 2010 being central to the country, there's been three on the West and three on the East.
In all fairness, Why not back in the middle?

True, and I would be open to that if someone steps up...but we haven't been all the way west since Myrtle Creek in 2006. Even Colorado Springs was 2+ days for many on the west coast.

Keep the ideas coming.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 out south west would be great! My son will be a graduate from high school and we can bring both cars!
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squareback_Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaransonT3 wrote:
Squareback_Joe wrote:
Oh you don’t know how excited I am to see that the next invasion MIGHT be w/in a few hours’ drive from my place.

So Joe...think you could be our local host for Flagstaff or where ever you are in AZ? Cool

If I was not in the military and prone to possible orders or deployments I would love to head it up. That’s my only hang-up for not jumping all over it, I wouldn't want to say yes and then have to drop it in someone’s lap in the middle even or worse last moment.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
I love the idea of a Flagstaff invasion. Cool place with lots of places to stay and interesting stuff nearby. A Grand Canyon day cruise would be awesome. Jerome isn't too far away either. A drive from Flagstaff through Sedona to Jerome in a Type 3 would be something. Cool

I grew up in Phoenix area. Flag to Sedona and Jerome would be killer! How about 2018 or 2020 so I can go after my gig is up in Japan. Smile
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for point of info... What VW Show & Swap is the largest in the Flagstaff area also, what time of year, location?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: