Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

This project is like the energizer bunny. It keeps going and going and going... Meanwhile, I'm reaching the "I'm flipping sick of it" stage..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the drivers side rear corner, I sanded all the metal and paint down and then treated the surface rust w/a rust converter/sealer. Once it fully cured, I skim coated the previously dented area up to smooth it's appearance out. I used a fine, finishing filler which sands easy.

This passenger side corner had some remaining rust between the battery pan and rear fender wheel. I had to remove the rest of the body sealer and found it. The rust was removed and treated.

I started sanding the rest of the engine compartment prior to repaint. It's pretty tedious work. The goal was to scuff the original paint in the compartment w/320 sand paper but the original factory paint is not thick in the compartment and there were a few nicks that had rust under them.

After a few hours of sanding, I did a quick tape off to spray some high build primer inside the compartment and on the outside corner.

The is the drivers side rear corner. It looks MUCH better skimmed with filler/sanded and primered.

This picture is off the passenger side in high builder 2k primer.

Just some other pictures of repaired areas back in primer.

I'm just shocked how time consuming this project has become. Granted, I've had to fix a lot of previous poor work. It still burning up a lot of time..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Proper paint and body work take time, it looks like your doing a great job. You have some single stage mixed up for final coat or what?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Proper paint and body work take time, it looks like your doing a great job. You have some single stage mixed up for final coat or what?

Thanks for the kudos. You're not lying, it's taking a long time forsure. I would of never guessed it would have taken this long! d'oh!

Yes, I'm going to use single stage for the rear outer tub and the engine compartment. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

I went to the automotive paint supply house. I needed some L87 Pearl White paint for the engine compartment and engine lid back. This was the original color of this bus. I'm going to repaint the bus in that color in the near future.

While I was there, I asked about them mixing up the paint and then putting it into spray cans. She said no problem. I did this because I don't have a small paint gun. I struggled to prime the compartment because my gun was too big.

This morning, I caulked the battery trays/pans. I let it dry for an hour and then the instructions said you can paint over it.

I was able to really get a lot of the urethane primer in the joints of the battery pans after the rust converter. The caulking was put in after the primer had hardened overnight. Hopefully it will hold back the rust for decades to come.

I then used a shop vacuum to really vacuum out all the dust, dirt and debris from inside the compartment. This was followed by wiping everything down with a water based grease remover. The spray cans with the automotive paint in them worked really well. They laid out the paint very nicely. I did a light coat, let it flash then followed it with a second, heavy coat.

It looks SSSOOO much better than before. I'd imagine it's what it looked like when it was new 46 years ago.

I then moved onto the engine lid. It too looked horrible. It has some surface rust at the seams. I sanded it down and used various sanding discs to remove all the rust. I then followed it up by soaking the seams in a rust converter/sealer. I'll follow that up with a couple of coats of urethane primer and then paint. After it's painted, I'm going to shoot inside it some rust preventer.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Nothing better than fresh paint. My bus was also perl white. I wish I would have done the same when I painted my engine bay.. I sprayed it krylon gloss white Embarassed

I was thinking of ordering from this place, https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi hows the price comparable from going to a local paint shop?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Nothing better than fresh paint. My bus was also perl white. I wish I would have done the same when I painted my engine bay.. I sprayed it krylon gloss white Embarassed

I was thinking of ordering from this place, https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi hows the price comparable from going to a local paint shop?

I think it was about $50 for the paint to be mixed into a 1/2 pint and then put in the spray cans. The paint was $20 mixed and the cans were about $13 each. So, it wasn't too bad cost wise for a good, Sherman Williams automotive paint.

I think if someone else wanted to repaint their engine compartment and it only needed sanding, minor filler work, etc, they could be all in for $100 dollars for the materials.

My bus was poorly painted a VW blue and white on top of poor body work. It looks good from 10 feet but I absolutely HAAATTTEEE the blue. My gal is constantly asking or TELLING me she wants it painted this original color it was delivered in when new. I "gently" suggest she could come out and "enjoy" all the sanding and blocking with me and that usually quiets her down. Laughing

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Lol sanding is the worst, I refinished my pop top after the PO took a belt sander to it and made a ton of groves. That was a fiberglass dust nightmare, I had to buy a real mask for that one.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Lol sanding is the worst, I refinished my pop top after the PO took a belt sander to it and made a ton of groves. That was a fiberglass dust nightmare, I had to buy a real mask for that one.

Couldn't agree more! Very Happy

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

I had a chance to play w/the bus over the weekend. I needed to work on the rear apron. I knew it had some dents, dings and surface rust on it. If I had half a brain, I'd of realized I could have saved myself hours by taking it to get stripped/blasted by a media blaster.

Here's the beauty! Ain't she purty!

So, back to being not so bright. The whole underside was covered in a layer of surface rust. Thankfully, no rot. I used various things to strip the rust off the back of it. What a pain. I was cussing myself while I spent 2.5 hours removing the rust.

Then, I had to knock the dents out of primarily the bottom edge.

Once it was straight and rust free, I sprayed it with a rust converter/sealer. I'll put a coat of urethane primer over it as well as the paint. The bottom edge will need a skim coat of filler to get it nice and straight.

I then blocked out the corner of the bus followed by another thick coat of primer. I'm hoping Pray it will be the final blocking/coat.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Looking good!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looking good!!!

Thanks Rich!

I'm continuing to chip away at this to get it finished before the real summer heat arrives in Phoenix.

Like the majority of our 45+ YO VW's, this bus is littered with these FLAPS crimp connectors. I really don't like them as they look really out of place. I finally sourced the correct crimper and German connectors to rid my VW's of those non-oem pieces.

I should've bought that tool and the oem barrel connectors years ago. I installed the electrical back into the engine bay. I had to remove the previous persons overspray off a bunch of the black wire conduit. I installed new barrel connectors as needed.

I need to install the sound deadener in the fuel tank bay and install the tank. I'm still doing the final body work on the engine lid and rear apron. I hope to have all the body work done tomorrow and everything painted by the end of the day. I want to be driving the bus by Friday.

I dusted the rear end with guide coat. I haven't used the stuff in a while. WOW, does it really help get things flat and straight. While I had to do a total of 3 different applications of urethane high build and blockings, it really turned out nice and straight.

Here's the engine lid and apron going thru final stages of body work. Did I mention if you're going to do this to your engine lid and apron and they are a bit rusty, TAKE THEM TO A MEDIA blaster. Laughing

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Looking good!

Got a link for the connectors and crimping tool?

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Here's the engine lid and apron going thru final stages of body work. Did I mention if you're going to do this to your engine lid and apron and they are a bit rusty, TAKE THEM TO A MEDIA blaster. Laughing

yea, I will never understand why people just don't go and get stuff blasted...soooo much faster and cheaper in the long run

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Looking good!

Thanks!

Here ya go.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1222186

I bought the connectors from both Amazon and then a bunch from Goodspeed. What I was challenged with was the 4MM ring terminal. I bought them from Goodspeed but.. they are for a bigger gauge wire, like a 14 gauge. They are tough to crimp correctly on the 16-18 gauge wires that I needed them for. The best deal was for the 100 of the 6.4mm female terminals. They are for the 16-18 gauge wire and crimp beautifully.

Goodspeed sells the large female connector for the push in generator. My 67 bug had the wrong generator in it. I sourced a correct 67 generator. I had to replace the aftermarket ring connector with the correct female push in one. It worked perfectly and now that engine looks original and correct.

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

yea, I will never understand why people just don't go and get stuff blasted...soooo much faster and cheaper in the long run

I know, I know... Brick wall

After wasting HOURS removing the rust from the back side of the bumpers, you'd of thought I'd of learned something..

Sometimes, I simply feel like this guy.. Laughing

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
These may be crimped wrong.
Look down the barrel of a terminal and notice there is a split in it. You want the dimple on the opposite side of this split.
Good luck
Tcash

These were the non-oem ones that were removed. Very Happy

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

My bad.
Bus is looking good
Tcash
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Looking good!

Thanks!

Here ya go.

<TRIMED>

Excellent.. Thank you sir!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

Wish I would have seen those connectors before I redid all my under dash wiring! damn.

EDIT: Also what rebuild kit would you recommend for an OG 30pict 3 carb? I don't want to use crappy empi gaskets and stuff.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Wish I would have seen those connectors before I redid all my under dash wiring! damn.

Well, you can always freshen the wiring back up down the road. Smile Honestly, I wanted to get rid of the FLAPS connectors where they are very obvious and in sight. The engine compartment is an example. I've seen lots of beautifully restored engines that are missing these correct German open barrel connectors.
khalimadeath wrote:

EDIT: Also what rebuild kit would you recommend for an OG 30pict 3 carb? I don't want to use crappy empi gaskets and stuff.

The only kit I bought recently was an EMPI one. It was ok. I only really needed the accelerator diaphragm. I never use the hard parts in those kits. I know Robbie bought a kit at I think at O'Reily's auto parts that was very good. Maybe he'll see this or someone else might have a suggestion for a good rebuild kit that's not EMPI brand and comment on it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 23

Jump to: