Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Your bowden tube looks just about straight. That would be a definite cause for why it shudders when you let off the clutch

When did I say anything about clutch shudder?
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Well the car is up for sale. Don't have to but I'm busy all day and cant work on it at night to finish it. I enjoyed the short times I got to drive it and it was a good learning experience overall, especially the part where I'll get almost no money for it in the end. Crying or Very sad
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Dude, don't bitch out now, you shoulda bailed before you dumped all the time & money in it, you'll regret it later.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

If the Baja was worth starting on, it's worth finishing! Not that we ever finish such projects. Much of the enjoyment is in the process. You've done well so far. I'll lose respect for you if you weenie out now. I had my Bug when I was in high school. I have it still. It looks a lot different now, but it's still the same car.

So if you don't have to sell it, why sell it? Just because you don't have the time for it right now doesn't mean that's the way things will be the rest of your life.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Yeah Richard, you know where he lives, go beat some sense into him. (Or take him for a ride in yours to remind him of what he's giving up.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

The stud on the right side of the engine just below the ID needs to come out. What's it for? It didn't really want to back out with some nuts so can I cut it off? The bumper mounting tube is extremely close to the engine case. The bumper tube slides over that tube, not even sure it will fit. I'm going to re drill through it top to bottom so I can run a bolt vertically.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

The two extra cooling tins for the doghouse fan shroud do not fit. Should I try to modify them at all, or would I be alright to run without them? I don't think its an issue being a Baja and all, but I wanted to check.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

That oil pump mounted oil filter works fine for street. But gets in the way of most offraod bumper cages.

That stud on the right side of the case is for mounting the thermostat for the flaps in the fan shroud. Nice to have in some ways, but not absolutely necessary, especially in SoCal. If you feel a need to remove it, then your bumper cage is mounted too high and won't provide much protection from underneath. The skidplate is likely to be up against the bottom of the case, which will damage the case if you hit the skidplate. Double trouble for the oil filter.

So you decided to keep the Baja? I hope so.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Good point, if it doesn't fit I'll just take it back over for modification. Yeah, I know there is a 50/50 split on these filter pumps but I for one am for it. I like not having more hoses everywhere and it clears the exhaust just fine so it will clear the bumper no problem and be protected by the skid plate. How about those cooling tins?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

You have a stock 1971 or later "dog house" fan shroud, right? I presume that you mean the 2 pieces that go on the outlet of the oil cooler "dog house" on the firewall side of the fan shroud.

The lower piece that goes through the crescent shaped piece over the bellhousing is only held on by one screw and in offroad use sometimes falls off. Those 2 pieces get hot air away from the fan intake in a full body sedan. In a Baja Bug they can be OK if they stay in place. But if the crescent piece does not have the hole for the lower doghouse outlet, you are just dumping the air out on the left side of the shroud. It's good to get the warm air away from the fan intake, but the doghouse should be close to the firewall and block the majority of air going to the right to the fan intake anyway.

You SHOULD have the little piece that attaches to the bottom of the oil cooler and has a screw for the doghouse itself. That's called the "Hoover Bit" these days and keep air from sneaking around the oil cooler. Somebody posted a pic of the tin from a VW parts book the other day. I'll see if I can find it.
SoCalBajas Member
zoned246
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

i need some serious help. so i just received my new baja and the po switch it from a 6v to a 12v. so i got the car home and it started up great for 2 days and now it wont hold a charge i can push start it but it wont start up after i drive it for a while. so either i have a really bad grounding issue which would make sense because a lot of wires are not hooked up even though there is brand new gauges hooked up and wired to the car none of them do anything but redline when i turn it on. or i have a bad regulator, my neighbor was telling me on old school bugs if you made any wiring adjustments you had to reset the the regulator or it would run backwards and instead of charging my battery it would drain it. it also for some reason turns off when i go down hill? does completely fine everywhere else as soon as i go down hill and i put in neutral i have to give it gas. which is weird right? i really wanted to fix this myself im pretty sure i have all the tools ill ever need i just have the knowledge when it comes to electricity i might just give up and take it to a mechanic but i thought i give a quick rant here and throw up one last hail marry and see if i can take home the win.
zoned246
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

i just read this whole forum and i feel quite rude for posting my problems on your form great looking bug.
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

^Hey no problem did you fix your issue?

Fired up the new engine today. All went well for the most part. By about ten minutes it started leaking from the dipstick and fuel pump flange. I shut it down to make sure it wasn't fuel and it dumped some oil from behind the crank pulley. I figured it was not a good idea to plug the breather hole on the oil filler neck, so I took the cap off and fired it back up. No more leaking. I ran it for about 20 minutes after that. I'm going to stick one of those small breather filters on it. Runs great! My 5" Autometer tach that I got for $40 bucks on Ebay works great and looks hilariously huge, heard back from the last schools I applied to, was accepted at Cal Poly Pomona and UC Irvine (and CSUN) for mechanical engineering. Today was a good day.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school. One of the best in the US. Certainly the best of those 3 you listed.

The crankcase needs to breath. Even with a mild engine. You can usually (though not always) expect some oil to sling out if you remove the oil fill cap.
SoCalBajas Member
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Link

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

What type of pushrods do you have and what did you adjust them to? If they're chromoly then set them to a loose 0. Does that scraping noise increase with engine speed?

Also, you're missing some tin. This goes on the rear to cover the cylinders and ensures that air hits the bottom of them. Your car will run without them, but it's good to have them in place.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Deflector-Tin-Cooling-Tin-Right-1966-T1-p/113-119-358a.htm
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Deflector-Tin-Cooling-Tin-Left-1966-T1-p/113-119-357.htm

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Stock push rods and the valves are set to .006" but I will be checking that more carefully today. I pulled the pedals out to put down bed liner so I will find out what it sounds like inside, is that because of the solid mounts?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't hear you over my solid mounts Wink

The sound is only going to be louder because of the solid mounts. What's weird is how slow it is, so you know it's not the flywheel. Could be the pulley rubbing on the breast plate tin.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Well its a Baja it doesn't have that piece. When I assembled the fan shroud the fan rubbed a little bit, but doesn't at the moment. Sorry for posting the video upside down but you can see a slight wobble in the alt pulley. It's same the alternator and pulley I used on the old single port with the doghouse size fan being the new addition. It almost sounds like the starter turning over but without the gears clashing.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

That scraping noise might be the fan rubbing on the shroud. Try loosening the alternator clamp band and see if that affects that noise.

Make sure you re-tighten the band clamp after.

the ticking just sounds like valve clatter. Note that in the video, the ticking gets louder when the phone is close to the valve cover. The valve clatter and all other engine noises will be substantially louder inside the car with solid motor mounts and upholstery (back seat, rear shelf carpet, etc.) removed.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: