Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stephen. wrote:
Can a 1969 bug with a healthy 1600 engine tow another bug? I am looking to pick up a project bug/baja and was wondering if I had to could I tow it with my bug?

I dont think it would be much of a problem as long as you dont push it too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artistic_gore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting the tin out from under the pulley to pull the motor, it's hanging on the pre-heat tubes, does the intake need to be removed to get the tin out?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

artistic_gore wrote:
I am having trouble getting the tin out from under the pulley to pull the motor, it's hanging on the pre-heat tubes, does the intake need to be removed to get the tin out?

If you're referring to the tin behind the lower pulley, you need to remove the pulley and there are two small screws holding the tin in place.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a stupid question. Very Happy MAYBE REALLY STUPID
I changed out the fuel lines in my Super Beetle. When I took the filler neck
hose off gas flowed out and down the trunk and under the car. Now my garage and the car reek of gas, along with a stain on the floor under the passenger front wheel. Embarassed
Of course when I put the new hose on, no more gas coming out.
Here comes the stupid question. Should I be afraid to start the car? Maybe let it roll out and start the car in the driveway?

Is there an award for stupid question of the year? If so, maybe I should be nominated. I just say what other people might be thinking "is this guy and idiot" My answer would be "sometimes, sometimes I am"
I should be more careful I know.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
hose off gas flowed out and down the trunk and under the car. Now my garage and the car reek of gas, along with a stain on the floor under the passenger front wheel. Embarassed
Here comes the stupid question. Should I be afraid to start the car? Maybe let it roll out and start the car in the driveway?

Is there an award for stupid question of the year? If so, maybe I should be nominated. I just say what other people might be thinking "is this guy and idiot" My answer would be "sometimes, sometimes I am"

I'd just keep the garage door open for a few hours to let it air out. The gas will evaporate quickly..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
kirk1015 wrote:

I'd just keep the garage door open for a few hours to let it air out. The gas will evaporate quickly..

X2 on what Bill said. Also roll the car out into the driveway and let it air out a little as well.
FWIW if there was an award for a Stupid Question, you'd at least make a podium finish Shocked
Have a great day. Call your mom and wish her a Happy Mothers day!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TheStanfordWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looking at the cylinder heads, which valves are exhaust and intake? And how does the carb preheater hose tin attach to the muffler?
Solex 30 PICT-3
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
PatsGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

TheStanfordWagen wrote:
Looking at the cylinder heads, which valves are exhaust and intake? And how does the carb preheater hose tin attach to the muffler?

The valves toward the outsides of the heads are exhaust, the inners are intakes. If you are talking about the "stovepipe" then 1 of the straps goes under the lower exhaust nut at the head, and 1 connects to the rear tin.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

artistic_gore wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you are probably hung up on these screws

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
clay ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

not necessarily a stupid question but i dont think it needs its own thread, im trying to order new tie rod ends, what year did vw swap over to larger tie rod ends? i swapped my 68 bug over to disk spindles and the original tie rod ends were too small.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheStanfordWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

PatsGhia wrote:
TheStanfordWagen wrote:

The valves toward the outsides of the heads are exhaust, the inners are intakes. If you are talking about the "stovepipe" then 1 of the straps goes under the lower exhaust nut at the head, and 1 connects to the rear tin.

Thanks!
Solex 30 PICT-3
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
artistic_gore wrote:

you are probably hung up on these screws
so...what are the 2 holes in my pully for that alien with those 2 screws????? Shocked
Phil Plummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
hi can abyone tell how to take a fuel door of a standard 74 beetle ? it looks like a one way assembly.
and does winshield have to come out to change defrost vents?
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK, I've got a couple...

Best sources for wiring harness (complete) for 69-72 standard autostick bug

Best source for passenger side floor pan?

And, a bonus

69-72 autostick bug. new battery. known good generator. occasionally needs jumped to start?
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
ElkoT1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I need some info help I'm using some VW parts in a non VW build. Are VW bug torsion bars a 40 spline count and is it the same on both ends? Also is the 26 9/16 as long as I can find or is there longer ones on different models?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

why did I plant that pear tree there Shocked dang it's starten to get a tad bit warm today.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The steering wheel of my Mexican 1994 bug is not the one I want. I wonder if you can fit this one this one from the 70's or this one classic 80's or my favorite if i can get it. Can it be done or there are a bunch of extra pieces needed?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

why dont I go surfing more offten? the beach was awesome today!!!!!almost alll day!!!!sun screen is my friend. and the hotties were oh so hot too. Shocked Rolling Eyes Cool
bellabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the main loom go through the hole near the rear footwell to the engine?
If it has been cut near the heater channel would you expect the other half of the loom to be inside the rear panel towards the engine?
(Pic for clarification)
Puebla Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm new to beetles and I bought a 74 with a 1915cc w/44 IDF carb. I've heard that the more you mod it the more maintenance that they will require. Would it be better to just buy a 1600 with some bolt on performance parts to reduce the amount of work it needs?

My main goal with this car is a daily driver with moderate offroad use, i.e take it on the beach and traverse dirt roads as I go to ranches every now and then.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 128

Jump to: