Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanky461
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me just how different the carpet kits for the 1971 convertible vs sedan super beetles are? I found some clearanced convertible carpet for an incredible price but unfortunately have a hole-less roofed superbeetle.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok,

Here goes....

Is it worth it?

If not, how much is it worth?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5497640102.html
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

$500 tops.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
$500 tops.

If the engine and transmission works, they will add nicely to the parts to sell while parting it out.. lol Smile

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's a battery cost? I, personally wouldn't buy anything I couldn't test-drive unless it was for salvage (I do a lot of that) Check out Muir's idiot manual for how to buy a Volkswagen . Get a buddy who has some knowledge of cars if not VWs to help you check it out. How much would you pay for a comparable Honda or Ford ? If you've done some research and you like the car, try to bargain w/ the seller and if you can afford it ( it's a vintage high-maintenance car) BUY IT and enjoy while you become a Volkswagen owner/ mechanic!
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I need a good source for torsion seals. I'm almost ready to get the new beam together. The ones I got are some plastic crap, not even rubber.

Also is there any reason I can't add grease fittings to a beam that doesn't have them? Any other tips? I'm going to press ball joints, and set up the disc brake kit and then I'll be ready.
PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why are there unstupid questions in the stupid question thread? Some of these unstupid questions will not reach the right audience, so you folks won't even get stupid answers.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

never mind. i answered the questions myself. i'd delete the post but can't figure it out.

Last edited by costonjs on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This might qualify as a stupid question... I don't know ...but I'll ask it anyway and hope to get get a not so stupid answer.... I was putting together my 1600 so I can finally drive my bug. I guess in a rush, I for got to attach the vacuum line from the dizzy to the carb. Took it out for a drive and after about 10 minutes of driving I get to a stop sign and it stalls. I tried starting it up to no avail. I looked in the engine bay while scratching my head I noticed the vacuum line disconnected..I plug her up, engine started. Could just the vacuum line make it stall?. I drove home with no other issue, but still scratching my head.... Any Ideas?....... Thanks all.... Rolling Eyes
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
This might qualify as a stupid question... I don't know ...but I'll ask it anyway and hope to get get a not so stupid answer.... I was putting together my 1600 so I can finally drive my bug. I guess in a rush, I for got to attach the vacuum line from the dizzy to the carb. Took it out for a drive and after about 10 minutes of driving I get to a stop sign and it stalls. I tried starting it up to no avail. I looked in the engine bay while scratching my head I noticed the vacuum line disconnected..I plug her up, engine started. Could just the vacuum line make it stall?. I drove home with no other issue, but still scratching my head.... Any Ideas?....... Thanks all.... Rolling Eyes

Hum.. I'd still suspect something else that caused the stall. What distributor and what brand/model of carb? How is it timed?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The dizzy is an svda with electronic ignition and the carb an empi cheap nock off from china 34 pict-3... I know its not the best performing carb, but thats all I could get in the 34 series within my budget... After I hooked up the vacuum line it ran fine. Haven't taken it out today, but maybe this afternoon. Will see what happens.. BTW, the carb is new, thats not to say it didn't come with a defect.... Anything is possible with these cars.......

This is the dizzy......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My 74 beetle wasn't running right, but I found the problem.
I had a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat . . . . .

Last edited by drgerry on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

drgerry wrote:
My 74 beetle wasn't running right, but I found the problem.
I had a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat . . . . .

Ok, not a question. But funny as hell! Very Happy
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok here's my contribution to the stupid questions thread..... Shocked

So I'm trying to clean up the wiring in my engine bay. The wire that goes from my condenser to the coil is about a foot long even though the distance might be 6 inches. Can I just shorten this?? Thought I'd ask before I go cutting things up.

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Goldbug3318 wrote:

So I'm trying to clean up the wiring in my engine bay. The wire that goes from my condenser to the coil is about a foot long even though the distance might be 6 inches. Can I just shorten this?? Thought I'd ask before I go cutting things up.

Or, you could coil it around a pencil real tight, then extend it to the length you need. Kinda looks cool.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

drgerry wrote:
Goldbug3318 wrote:

Or, you could coil it around a pencil real tight, then extend it to the length you need. Kinda looks cool.

Old school fix. Cool I do it on some engines. You can shorten the condenser wire without issues. Just make sure to get a quality connector and if you can solder it to the wire.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
vinnimac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Engine case question Reply with quote

Hello, Figured this would be the best place to start with this search for knowledge. I just received two VW items from a friend of my son's for free. An "AH" case with crankshaft, couple con-rods, and the head/cyl studs; and an almost complete 'B6' engine. From what I have seen on the engine code page, they are both 1600, dual relief cases, with the B6 being sold with single port heads, which it has on it, and the AH having dual port heads originally. As far as the cases are concerned, all else being equal, is there any pros/cons as far as which one would be preferred? Let's assume they are both mechanically sound, with no real damage anywhere. They were both in a small horse barn for YEARS, and with the AH case being open the whole time, not counting on any of the internals being useful at all.

Looking for facts, AND opinions, as I have not built one in a very long time, and figure most of you reading this will have more recent experience than I.
Thank you for your positive inputs!
Stephen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can a 1969 bug with a healthy 1600 engine tow another bug? I am looking to pick up a project bug/baja and was wondering if I had to could I tow it with my bug?
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

does anyone know the size of the clips on the wiper linkage mine is missing one and i can't find the right size?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 128

Jump to: