Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

adam78 wrote:

I always jack mine up in the front first. This way, I have the hand brake and car in gear to stop it from rolling as apposed to nothing in the front. I put my jack on the front axle, it lifts the whole car up, then I put jack stands near the wheels on the axle.

thanks, now I just have to figure out how to fit a trolley jack inside my extra-small garage! Very Happy
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What does it mean that a gear is "taller?" What makes a gear tall or short? Number of teeth on a wheel...?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

"Taller" means the same as "higher" when referring to gears, which means numerically lower. 4th is taller (higher) than 3rd, 3rd is taller than 2nd, 2nd is higher than 1st. Likewise, a 4.375 R&P is "shorter" or "lower" than a 4.125.

Taller gears (higher gears) are harder to climb, they give more vehicle speed at any given engine RPM.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
"Taller" means the same as "higher" when referring to gears, which means numerically lower.

Thanks for trying...but ya lost me right there. So 3rd is taller than 4th because 3 is numerically lower than 4th??

Then what reads to me like the opposite -

EVfun wrote:
4th is taller (higher) than 3rd, 3rd is taller than 2nd, 2nd is higher than 1st. Likewise, a 4.375 R&P is "shorter" or "lower" than a 4.125.

Confused

EVfun wrote:
Taller gears (higher gears) are harder to climb, they give more vehicle speed at any given engine RPM.

Ok, that one makes sense to me. Kinda.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
EVfun wrote:
"Taller" means the same as "higher" when referring to gears, which means numerically lower.

Thanks for trying...but ya lost me right there. So 3rd is taller than 4th because 3 is numerically lower than 4th??

The RATIO is numerically lower, NOT the gear position, i.e. 3rd, 4th etc.

Then what reads to me like the opposite -

EVfun wrote:
4th is taller (higher) than 3rd, 3rd is taller than 2nd, 2nd is higher than 1st. Likewise, a 4.375 R&P is "shorter" or "lower" than a 4.125.

Confused

EVfun wrote:

Ok, that one makes sense to me. Kinda.
You've pretty much got it here. Very Happy

Taller gear has the same effect as a taller tire. More speed for the same rpm but less oomph. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DF and D+ reversed? Reply with quote

EDIT: I moved this question to the Late Model thread in the hopes of better input. See thread titled "Gen/Alt and voltage regulator relationship questions"

Last edited by Wasted youth on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sounds more like a post to the '68-up Bug forum than a stupid question post.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Yeah, maybe so. I just felt like an idiot asking this. Laughing
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
vamram wrote:

Yeah, maybe so. I just felt like an idiot asking this. Laughing

Oh, you know how it is around here...even if it's not a stupid question, SOMEONE will make ya think it is! Smile Anxious

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
tangot2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm aligning the front end of my 65 Beetle. On the drivers side the tie rod end has 2 bolts and a anti undo washer. On the passanger side are just bolts on the end of the tie rod. I got the tire side bolt loose. The inside one just seems to spin. Do I need to clamp on vice grips on the tie rod to hold it so I can break it loose? Thanks.
65 SID Beetle
Vdub_SuperBug_72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So here's stupid question that I need to figure out the answer to before I can puchase a new exhaust system for my 72 super beetle...

Are there different sized 2 bolt flanges for exhaust, or are they all the same? Is the size of the exhaust determined by the exhaust port on the heads? How can I measure the size so that I can order the correct header, or does it not necessarily matter?

Sorry for my ignorance as I'm 17 and it's my first car. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!!!!
jonnyrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

howdy heres my latest stubid question,i have a Baja bug the pan is a 1962,but I think the body is newer,it has rear window defroster,and padded dash,also has wiper switch on columb,any ideas on the year?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

jonnyrose wrote:
howdy heres my latest stubid question,i have a Baja bug the pan is a 1962,but I think the body is newer,it has rear window defroster,and padded dash,also has wiper switch on columb,any ideas on the year?

'72 was the start of the wiper switch on the column. Defroster was earlier.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
jonnyrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

thanks for the reply,i was guesing 1972,it also has a factory gas heatre
SLC74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm going to get my stupid questions out of the way while I still have a low post count Smile

The two handles between the seats, one says defrost and one says heat. I haven't noticed a difference when they are up or down. What the heck do they do? The fan dial is on the dash, right? And the little button to the left of the steering wheel makes a loud MEEP MEEP when I push it. Is that normal?

Next up, find the Super Shimmy this weekend and order all new steering components.
hannahler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Parts I need. Where to buy? I'm pretty accustomed to buying some body parts and other stuff from Rock Auto for my PT Cruiser, but we recently bought a repeater for my 1972 from them and they were crap. I'm not sure how well I can trust them for this stuff. I've seen jbugs but they're pricey, and my boyfriend recommended O'Reilly's but they don't carry a lot of stuff I need. I also got a copy of a catalog from mid america motorworks but that's almost TOO nice for me! Laughing We also have a Bow-wow euro imports about an hour away but I want something online that can be a little more convenient. I'm just not sure what order of websites I should be checking parts for! there's just so many! I even peeked at amazon but that was a crap shoot too Razz
tl;dr best recommendations to buy parts?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hannahler wrote:
Parts I need. Where to buy? I'm pretty accustomed to buying some body parts and other stuff from Rock Auto for my PT Cruiser, but we recently bought a repeater for my 1972 from them and they were crap. I'm not sure how well I can trust them for this stuff. I've seen jbugs but they're pricey, and my boyfriend recommended O'Reilly's but they don't carry a lot of stuff I need. I also got a copy of a catalog from mid america motorworks but that's almost TOO nice for me! Laughing We also have a Bow-wow euro imports about an hour away but I want something online that can be a little more convenient. I'm just not sure what order of websites I should be checking parts for! there's just so many! I even peeked at amazon but that was a crap shoot too Razz

cip1.com
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hannahler wrote:

Wolfsburg West, West Coast Metric, CB Performance, Airhead Parts, Aircooled.net. Most of the cheap stuff is pure crap, and even some of the better stuff is too. Keep as much of the original German stuff as you can.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jgvt88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I don't want to be the guy asking before doing a search, but it's difficult to do a search when you don't know what a part is called!
The green and white thing that I had to remove to access the fresh air box. (Come to think of it, is that called a fresh air box? What's that part called that houses the blower?)
I assume it has something to do with the fuel tank emissions controls. I'm guessing it's also why I get that gasoline smell in the cabin.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The white plastic triangular container is the expansion chamber for recirculation of fumes from the gas tank. The green tube is part of that system too. One of the lines leads to a charcoal canister mounted inside the right rear wheel well. That canister should have a has a hose at that top that runs from the top right of the fan shroud and a return hose from the bottom that runs to a fitting on your air filter. So unburned gas fumes get recirculated into the intake.

By now, that charcoal canister either needs to be rebuilt or has been removed altogether so you're venting fumes into the atmosphere.

You have disconnected hoses so you probably get a "healthy" dosage of raw gas fumes when you drive the car, especially after filling the tank.

This thread explains it all, w/picutures! Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389074

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 128

Jump to: