Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ This is helpful as I'm considering making the same change, albeit with 215/60R16 > 215/65R16. My primary concern was losing some torque.

I have some C230 rims in the garage. 16" and pretty much ready for rubber. The idea of going up in diameter is my overall vision, but it will be something I do as part of my engine swap. The WBX 2.1 I have now will not do very well with much more than the 25.5" diameter rubber I have now. I DO like the BFG AT-KOs I have now, that is for sure! (less than 3000 miles on them now) But, I do intend on 215/65/R16's when I get the EJ22 installed. For now, I am barely keeping my cool with how things work with the 90ish HP powerplant. It would be plain old silly to try much bigger, even by half an inch at this point. The 215/65/R16's are somewhere around 27" diameter. That is a pretty big jump.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I am considering going to a 27" tire (215/65R16, up from a 60 series) but am hesitant to lose any torque even with a Bostig - it doesn't have a lot of headroom.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
^^^ This is helpful as I'm considering making the same change, albeit with 215/60R16 > 215/65R16. My primary concern was losing some torque.

I have some C230 rims in the garage. 16" and pretty much ready for rubber. The idea of going up in diameter is my overall vision, but it will be something I do as part of my engine swap. The WBX 2.1 I have now will not do very well with much more than the 25.5" diameter rubber I have now. I DO like the BFG AT-KOs I have now, that is for sure! (less than 3000 miles on them now) But, I do intend on 215/65/R16's when I get the EJ22 installed. For now, I am barely keeping my cool with how things work with the 90ish HP powerplant. It would be plain old silly to try much bigger, even by half an inch at this point. The 215/65/R16's are somewhere around 27" diameter. That is a pretty big jump.

Yep. With my engine being only two years old, I'm starting to wonder if I went back to a 14" wheel my tin top would feel like a hotrod! I want to hear from all those people out there rolling big aggressive tires on westfalias w/ stock motors. Hill climbing must be a joke.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm running a stock 1.9 with these bad boys. No complaints. I can't remember what it was like on 14's. The stability improvements alone more than make up for any loss of bottom end torque. We go up lots of steep stuff. Crossing the Sierra's wasn't fun but the high wind was a big part of the stress.

215/65/16
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

benandmj,

What do you do for your spare(s)? Front spare holder? Rear? Mod'd?

Regards,

-bobby
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Heads up,

If you're in the PNW, Smallcar just became a Nokian tire distributor, say they'll price match anyone too!

https://smallcar.com/smallcar-news/tires.html

many other brands too, but since Nokian sellers are few and far between I thought this was worth noting.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Good to know. But I will add, I bought my summer Nokians (eNtyre) from Discount Tire. Not sure if they carry all of the Nokian line, but I know there are a lot of DTs in Washington state.

flomulgator wrote:
Heads up,

If you're in the PNW, Smallcar just became a Nokian tire distributor, say they'll price match anyone too!

https://smallcar.com/smallcar-news/tires.html

many other brands too, but since Nokian sellers are few and far between I thought this was worth noting.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Quote:

Tire Factory is also a dealer.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
benandmj,

What do you do for your spare(s)? Front spare holder? Rear? Mod'd?

Regards,

-bobby

GoWesty swing away.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I am considering going to a 27" tire (215/65R16, up from a 60 series) but am hesitant to lose any torque even with a Bostig - it doesn't have a lot of headroom.

That 27" tire will be about 9 1/2% bigger than a stock diameter tire. I don't think you're going to like that.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

BFG says that tire is 770 revs per mile, (KO2 in 215/65/16)

Stock 185R14 are about 810 revs per mile.

That is less than a 6% change, closer to 5%.

Not BFG but I am running that size on 2 of my stock wbx vans and I like it fine.

Mark

Jake de Villiers wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

That 27" tire will be about 9 1/2% bigger than a stock diameter tire. I don't think you're going to like that.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I think it is strange as well, that a 215/65/16 can be different diameters from different manufacturers, but they are.

Oh, and I looked a couple weeks ago, and was not able to find BFGs in 215/65/16, if that is the case, and they are NOW available, how assured are we that the next time we need rubber, there will be one for us?

I was trying to find local place with Toyo tires... they were supposed to be decent:

Toyo Versado Noir 215/65R16 XL 102H BSW
~$95/tire
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a decision on new tires and have whittled it down to two choices:

-The Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/15 that I've been running for the past four years with no complaints.

-The Firestone Destination AT in either 205/75/15 or 215/75/15.

I like the idea of a slightly smaller diameter tire (Destination 205) to assist with climbing, but I like the 100 load rating of the Destination 215, which is slightly larger than the Geo's they'd be replacing.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the tradeoff? With a Wolfsburg Westy that gets loaded with two kids, rocketbox, and bike rack, will I be pushing the lower load rating of the 205?

I know that most of this is subjective, but I'm looking for any insights that the wise Vanagon tire folk can offer.

It should be noted that in 11 years with this Vanagon, I've gone through:

Bridgestone Dueler AT 195/75/14--Hard as a rock, loud, but super durable

BFG A/T 27x8.5/14--Outstanding until they wore down and got really loud

Michelin Agilis 205-65-15--terrible in snow

Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/15--All-around good tire, but I've definitely noticed the hill-climbing loss of power.

Thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The 215/70R15 that you have been running are really close to the limit regarding not rubbing on the lower Wolfsberg / Carat types vans with the lower springs. I fretted about this on mine for a long while and the best I can figure based on available reports is with the lower springs 27" diameter is the limit. Everyone I've seen so far over that value rubbed and everyone under didn't. The 215/75R15 pushes you out to 27.7" diameter and you likely will rub (I believe that is the same size a good friend has on a van he bought and it did a number on his wheel well).

Personally I won't go under 98 load index (remember the 9% adjust for passenger car tires). You have a few choices under 27 inch dia that have higher load rating than 98 to choose from.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
The 215/70R15 that you have been running are really close to the limit regarding not rubbing on the lower Wolfsberg / Carat types vans with the lower springs. I fretted about this on mine for a long while and the best I can figure based on available reports is with the lower springs 27" diameter is the limit. Everyone I've seen so far over that value rubbed and everyone under didn't. The 215/75R15 pushes you out to 27.7" diameter and you likely will rub (I believe that is the same size a good friend has on a van he bought and it did a number on his wheel well).

Personally I won't go under 98 load index (remember the 9% adjust for passenger car tires). You have a few choices under 27 inch dia that have higher load rating than 98 to choose from.

Thanks Geo, my suspension is modified with Moog 5658's on the front and '84 GL springs with spacers on the back, so I'm at around 17.25-17.5" on each corner and not as concerned with rubbing. I guess it comes down to whether I can accept additional torque loss vs. a lower load rating if I go with the Firestones.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I was in My local Walmart last week and stopped by the tire desk and ordered my Continental Vanco tires. They called me the next morning for them to be picked up. Less than 24 hrs!

205/65/15 and the proper load rating. They are in my basement waiting for spring to arrive...maybe Walmart has that in stock as well....😎

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: What the 15" Michelin Defender LTX M/S Look Like Reply with quote

I thought I might as well put this picture here, as it gives you a look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tire and its tread as installed on my Audi TT 5000 Quattro Rims on Winston:

In the short time (obviously) that I have driven on them, I was pleased with their handling.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For those running Hankook RA08's, we have one 185R14 left. If you would like a matching spare this is your last chance. I'll make it $92 for that one. PM me if you want it. We will have the new RA18's soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Odd that the smallest BFG KO2 is in a 16" at 770 rev/mile (27"). The smallest 15 is 751 rev/mile at 27.6". Looks like I'll have to re-power the Syncro when my old KOs wear out!

Are they still adding sizes or do we think they are done?

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

-The Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/15 that I've been running for the past four years with no complaints.

After much back-and-forth and gnashing of teeth, I decided to concentrate on the last two words of the above sentence and order another set of Geolandars. The TireRack distribution warehouse is less than one mile from my house, so I get to grab them this afternoon.

Some recent reviews of Geolandars by Sambanistas have pointed to their worthlessness in snow. I made it over Berthoud Pass (11,000 feet) in a nasty blizzard last year and lived to tell, and have put-putted around Denver on them without issue for the past four years so I can't really speak to that.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 57

Jump to: