Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

The window regulator must be put in before the vent window.

I put the new channel on the window while it was out of the car. I had marked the window before removing the old channel so I could center the new channel.

I put the regulator in place first (put in the top bolt, leave it very loose); pull it out at the bottom and slide the window in. I covered the window with a cloth, so I wouldn't scratch it.

It's a bit tricky sliding the window between the door frame and regulator, especially with the cloths, but a bit of patience and it will go.

I bolted the channel to the regulator, but left everything loose until I was happy with the fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also the window track should not be tight into the corner, leave it a bit loose for the curve in the window:

The picture is blurry, but I hope you get the idea.

I was able to purchase one of these clamps shown below and install new rivets for the vent window:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I saw that Chris Vallone also did the mechanism first and then put the window in (see: youtube link)
I was surprised to see that, I've always put the window in first and then the mechanism.

This is my order of assembly.
1. Window trim/outside scraper
2. Vent window
3. Window felt
3. Window inside scraper/rubber
4. Insert window from below, and slide it all the way to the top in the "closed" position. Then I use ductape to hold it in the top (use rags to protect the upper doorframe from the ductape).
5. Insert mechanism. And the most tricky thing here is putting the mechanism past the lower vent window mounting point. The door metal has to be lifted a bit to make the mechanism get squeezed by the vent window mounting point.
Also, getting the mechanism's window mounting point on the correct side of the window is tricky.
6. Bolt all the mounting bolts in, but leave the bolts that bolt the mechanism to the window loose.
7. Wind the window up and down a few times to set the window, and wind it all up (closed) again.
8. Then fasten the window mounting bolts.

I really like the mounting bolts that are used on the Mexican beetles. They have the washer "built in" and they don't rust at all. These are better then the German ones.

For the vent window, I used a regular pop rivet, I think it was a 5 mm one. I did reuse the little non-metal (what material is it?) washer that was between the window and the frame.

Greetings,
Gerrelt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Mar 22 is the anniversary of getting my car licensed, each year I take a picture:

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Cool pictures! Cool

It's like a game, spot the changes... I see 4 changes... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Cool pictures! Cool

It's like a game, spot the changes... I see 4 changes... Very Happy

There's more than that can be seen, the most interesting is the weather changes. In the first picture (2012) it was +22C and in 2015 it was -15C. (It was around 0C yesterday, which normal for this time year).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

No, I mean only changes on the beetle...

I see:
1. Taillights
2. Fog light changed position
3. Vocho emblem
4. Added reverse light.

Cool
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
No, I mean only changes on the beetle...

I see:
1. Taillights
2. Fog light changed position
3. Vocho emblem
4. Added reverse light.

Cool

Yes, I meant the Beetle (some you have to really look for, but are visible):
1. new running boards,
2. new side mirrors
3. new side markers
4. bumper brackets have been cleaned up and painted
5. license plate cover (cowl) has been painted, it was badly scratched in the first picture
6. reversing light in the last picture

The tires are the same set in every picture, I use those for winter parking. The hubcaps are not on the last 3 pictures, but that doesn't count as I purposely leave them off (no need to install them when I storing the car).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I see that Samba is featuring VW's and bicycles today, in honor of that here is a picture of my car with the first mode of transportation (other than my feet) that I owned.

The bicycle in the picture is 45 years old, a CCM Targa 10 speed. It hangs in my garage above my car, each year I take it down, fill the tires and go for a short ride:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Nice vintage bike! Cool

This is my bike. It's the bike I ride to work everyday, 5 days a week. It's a 16 kilometer (10 miles) roundtrip. About every two years I have to replace the chain and sprockets. Smile

It is a Giant Tourer 21 speed, I think I bought it in 2005.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Nice vintage bike! Cool

Thanks, I also have a new bike, custom built at a local shop (not for me, they build their own brand) that I bought the year before I bought my car. That year I started riding it each day, by the end of the season I was up to 20 miles (32 km) per day. Fortunately I live just a few minutes from the Trans-Canada trail, it's a nice country ride on an abandoned rail-line, converted to a trail. After I bought my car, my daily mileage went way down Embarassed .

My old bike is not in good shape, the tires are at least 30 years old, and the tubes hold air only for a couple of days. The rubber is crumbling on the tires. The gears and brakes do not work, both gear shifters snapped off due to metal fatigue. My plan is to restore the bike, maybe a retirement project, still a few years off.

CCM bikes were very common when I was young, the Targa was a popular bike, (CCM is a Canadian brand). I haven't seen another one in many years. It was an entry level bike that many parents bought for their kids, I got it for my 12th or 13th birthday.

The only cool thing about my old bike is the leather seat, it was original on the bike. About 20 years ago I was offered $100 for it.

By the way, your car is looking good!
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes the car is getting there. Just a few more parts (rear bumper, fog light and number plates), check the brakes and then It's ready for its safety inspection.
Next we will first drive it a bit (we can't resist) and then look for a painter and get it (partly maybe) painted.
After that the plan is to replace the roof (and take lots of pictures.. Smile Wink ).
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

She's baaaack!

My 98 (hopkin's younger twin) is back on the road finally! And her younger brother (99) behind her here

Also the younger watercooled sister here...

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
She's baaaack!

My 98 (hopkin's younger twin) is back on the road finally! And her younger brother (99) behind her here

Also the younger watercooled sister here...

Looking good!
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Looks good, VWgirl! Cool

And the harlequin new beetle looks good too.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I'm assuming these are homemade? Never seen a dual sunroof car, or a half convertible, half sunroof car Laughing

Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Yeah, those look homemade.

A few days ago I connected the foglight again. It works fine, but the light in the button didn't light up. This evening I investigated a bit, and it turned out the little light bulb inside was bad. I replaced it and now it lights up:

The bulb is easy to replace, just pull the bulb holder out from the rear of the switch, and pull the bulb out of the holder, and push in a new one (read: one I had lying around, salvaged from some old instrument cluster Smile ).

But to my suprise it even lights dimly when the fog light is off, but the lights are on:

Which is a nice feature, it makes finding the button in the dark a lot easier. I didn't expect it to do that.

For something (slightly) different: I can switch the high beam on while the lights are on without problem. But when the lights are off, I can't use it for signalling. The high beam doesn't light up momentarily when I pull on the stalk.
Is this normal for the mexican beetle? Or is something wrong?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
... Is this normal for the mexican beetle? Or is something wrong?

Normal, I guess, my lights behave the same way. Very Happy
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

OK, then I am going to dive into the wiring diagram to see if I can change it. I use it mainly to greet other beetle riders, so it's quite essential.. Wink
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Hmmm...according to the wiring diagram it should have a high beam signalling function, even with the lights off.
It might be a faulty switch in the steering column. I think the mexican beetles use a switch in the column instead of a relay, like in the older beetles.
The drawing of it in the diagram (see switch E4) might suggest that you have to push the stalk to signal, instead of pulling. But I think I tried that, and it didn't work.

More info on the E4 switch:
56b is connected to the low beam, 56a to the high beam.
Number 56 is connected to the light swith, so powered when the lights are switched on.
Number 30 is connected to fuse 9, which is powered all the time (also connected to the warning light switch).

This means the high beam signalling should even work when the ignition is off.

DISCLAIMER: the diagram maybe incorrect, and the same goes for this writing of mine.. Smile
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
OK, then I am going to dive into the wiring diagram to see if I can change it. I use it mainly to greet other beetle riders, so it's quite essential.. Wink

Here's the section for the hi/lo beam switch on the steering wheel:

121 is the hi-beam, 117 is the lo-beam

20 comes from the ignition switch and 103 comes from the light switch.

Have a look, I don't see how to get power to the hi-beam without applying power to 103, which would cause your lo-beams to always be on.

The only way I can see is a second switch with a diode, in parallel to the steering wheel switch, a push button under the dash maybe?

Edit: I just saw your post, I don't see any relays, just the column switch.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 192

Jump to: