Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a sedan delivery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
aussierust66 wrote:
Gday Grandpa Pete, I'm only 19 pages in to your build, and am well hooked! Awesome build and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Oh and I'm from Tasmania, Australia.. dunno how that goes for distance following the thread Smile

Thankyou for the positive re-enforcement :
part of taking on this size project is seeing it through the delays ; comments like yours and cali-army-guy's do help . I keep seing numbers add up on the thread visit tally and wonder if People like Bobnotch and others are still interested

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm sure as hell interested in this build. I think it's really cool to see someone's vision they have in their head come together before our eyes because of hard work and ingenuity.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

I took the carpet pieces to the upholsterer this morning and about 3 pm he called and said they were all done !!!
They came out GREAT!!.....He edged 9 pieces....$50
Add in the $75 for the Home Depot carpet and you get $125 for custom fit carpets for the FRONT and BACK !! Shocked Very Happy

I've got an awards dinner tomorrow that I'm setting up and working a spotlight at so you will have to wait till Sunday to see the carpet installation pictures .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
aussierust66 wrote:
Gday Grandpa Pete, I'm only 19 pages in to your build, and am well hooked! Awesome build and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Oh and I'm from Tasmania, Australia.. dunno how that goes for distance following the thread Smile

Thankyou for the positive re-enforcement :
part of taking on this size project is seeing it through the delays ;
comments like yours and Cali-Army-Guy's do help .
I keep seing numbers add up on the thread visit tally and wonder if People like Bobnotch ; Duanel ; Mike Fischer ; 1 ghia and others are still interested .

I tried to check mileage between us but the DRIVING directions don't work . Shocked
..I wonder what is wrong with my I phone Laughing Laughing

Since i was there not to long ago, I believe Tasmania give or take is somewhere near 9,000 miles to your front door Grandpa pete
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Interior before carpet ;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interior with carpet ;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:

Since i was there not to long ago, I believe Tasmania give or take is somewhere near 9,000 miles to your front door Grandpa pete

Thanks for jumping in ......COOL !

That "somewhere near " might beat the New Zealand 8245 if we can get an EXACT mileage . Laughing Laughing

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

The mileage From Miami to Hobart,Tasmania is 9,525 miles. Miami to Auckland, New Zealand is 8,044 miles.

Now let's see some new interior shots. Shocked
aussierust66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Lovethatconvertable is pretty close, im actually 45kms south of hobart. Smile

I've always like the delivery van look, and am a huge fan of recycled parts, my door cards are old street signs..

pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
Hey - sorry if this was already talked about in an earlier post, I actually went back through most of the pages to see if I could find you talking about it - What product did you use as sound deaden-er? Is it the roofing product that has been talked about on the Samba quite a bit? - Just wondering how you like it compared to other products like Dynamat etc.

I have use Fat Mat at work. It is exactly like quick roof
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

aussierust66 wrote:
Gday Grandpa Pete,
I'm from Tasmania, Australia.. dunno how that goes for distance following the thread Smile

WE HAVE A WINNER !!! Shocked
IT IS OFFICIAL !!! Shocked Shocked
aussierust is the new " farthest person from Saint Petersburg Florida following this thread " . Laughing Laughing
Next time your in St Pete come by and collect your prize of a ride in the sedan delivery and lunch at HOOTERS Twisted Evil

This "old guy " is amazed at how this internet stuff works ;
My first real job after high school ( 1970 ) was working on old ( circa 1932 ) electro mechanical devices that switched phone calls from one line to the other .There was a mechanical connection that could be physically followed through the office . I could see it .....Cant see nuthin on the internet Rolling Eyes

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Now that the carpet is in there are several projects that I can complete ;

I wanted a new front seat ; this one works great . $29 at pick and pull

the slide forward feature will get it out of the way when camping

I got it all installed and went to sit in it ; it wouldn't slide back far enough ?? One of the 6 bolts through the 3/4 inch plywood and the 4x4 "s holding it up ; was stopping the mechanism........After a little re-engineering , it all works fine .

The seat has a pressure switch for the seatbelt warning buzzer ; I think I'll hook it up to the alarm system ( a siren too loud INSIDE )

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Nice going with the carpet. I used the same material about 12 yrs ago for a low-budget revival of a '69 Beetle, but did not have it edged. What did you/the upholsterer use for edging- is that smooth grey vinyl, or cloth?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nice going with the carpet. I used the same material about 12 yrs ago for a low-budget revival of a '69 Beetle, but did not have it edged. What did you/the upholsterer use for edging- is that smooth grey vinyl, or cloth?

The guy used stuff that came on a roll like Christmas ribbon .
He had a special machine that had a holder for the ribbon and fed the carpet by it .
He said it took him a little over an hour and that's how he came up with the $50 price . I'm thrilled at how great it looks .
I have done several bugs with the HD carpet but the edging makes it look 100% better

gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
aussierust66 wrote:
Gday Grandpa Pete,
I'm from Tasmania, Australia.. dunno how that goes for distance following the thread Smile

WE HAVE A WINNER !!! Shocked
IT IS OFFICIAL !!! Shocked Shocked
aussierust is the new " farthest person from Saint Petersburg Florida following this thread " . Laughing Laughing
Next time your in St Pete come by and collect your prize of a ride in the sedan delivery and lunch at HOOTERS Twisted Evil

This "old guy " is amazed at how this internet stuff works ;
My first real job after high school ( 1970 ) was working on the electro mechanical devices that switched phone calls from one line to the other .There was a mechanical connection that could be physically followed through the office . I could see it .....Cant see nuthin on the internet Rolling Eyes

Not so fast Pete. Your definition of farthest is based on mileage. Clearly, living on the North side of Tampa and having to sit on I-275 NB for several weeks makes my digs the true furthest from your base?

Kudos on that interior boss!
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Its all coming together nicely good job.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

I thought you were coming by for a welding lesson ??
What's the matter ; too far away .

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

samstheman wrote:
Its all coming together nicely good job.

Thank You ..... Smile
It was cool to know that I was finally putting the front seat in for the last time today .
Tomorrow I will be making the side panels for inside the back .

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Today I cut and rough fit the interior side panels .
I get these at business meetings and conventions that I go to .
Usually I just use them for door cards and/or white ceilings
this time I decided to use the printed face for a little color .

But first I have to make a pattern so they fit

And transfer it to the panel

Inside wall "before "

Inside wall "after "

other side

I love FREE stuff that's cool !! Laughing Laughing
These will be trimmed and edged later.....
And yes it's great to have a five foot by eight foot upholstery table on the patio .
I do scenery and decorations for trade shows and conventions , have been for 17 years .....
I am a professional ;Don't try this at home !!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If you want to know what the photos are showing ....It's the part of the old overhead transit system in New York where they removed the tracks and made an overhead garden/walkway ....

Last edited by grandpa pete on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Where's that "like" button when you need it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

I tell ya Pete, this is gotta be one of the coolest build threads on the samba, if not on the entire interweb...Keep it up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a sedan delivery Reply with quote

Todays lesson is upholstery ;
Cut and glue foam then cut and glue spandex ; I wanted something that would stretch over the wheel well

put it all together and ;

I made several trim pieces for when the big wall panels go in for the final time . I covered the door cards with foam and fabric and put them where they can't get dirty . I put the package tray in below the dash .

If you think you might like to try your own interior project ; the Chris Vallone " Classic Vw .com " How - To videos are great

Shocked Shocked Shocked 170,000 views Laughing Laughing

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 57

Jump to: