Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice to see some pics..... Sad

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
A friend of mine found another 57 Ladawri Delmar on the YOUNGSTOWN Ohio Craigslist. It is on a triumph chassis and is supposedly #4. Search 1957 Triumph Ladawri He wants 5995$ for it

No pics but
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/4397770861.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I checked out the listing hence my comment about pics.
Y'know, it beats me why some people who sell stuff on the Net don't automatically include pics or at least links to pics.
A picture's worth a 1000 words, right?
Making people ask for pics wouldn't necessarily cut down on tyre kickers and it does cut down on possible impulse buyers.
There, rant over! Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bummed about the pictures as well and I was having troubles loading the link in. Thanks Everett.

If anyone gets pictures, it would be interesting to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome LaDawri. I agree with other posters, keep it vintage VW all throughout, think coachbuilt as far as esthetics, I'd choose silver in keeping with the classic German racing colors, over maroon or dark blue interior, also agreeing on the batwing wheel idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this thread. Great find and progress.

My 58 Alken was built at the same time originally. Would be nice to see them together. Since I am in the process of moving the Alken is in storage waiting to be pulled out and painted.

Really nice find. I do like the bench idea!
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we ever get to see how this turned out?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a few years but here's where it is.... It gets driven almost every weekend... Provided it's not raining anyway... This is a pic from last year but it has now been fully buffed out, seats have been bolted into place... And for right now it seriuosly sucks swapping tires & wheels from the '66 back & forth so I'm really hoping that new wheels & rubber will be coming in the next month... I'm thinking Fuchs maybe, 6" rear, 5" front... Any thoughts???

Have been trying to build a new shed at our new house this year so I can move it from my sons so I can move the Oval to the shed and start the ball rolling... Apparently sheds over 200 SqFt here are frowned upon... So I'm stuck in the building variance game, but winning so far...

I've been slowly picking up bits and pieces, over the last 2 years to get ready to tear into... But now that it's registered, plated, insured & driven often enough... It's so hard to justify tearing it down, but, it's inevitable.... None of us here still trust the hokey-engineered foot controls coupled to the strange balance & lack of weight (I almost want to add sandbags somewhere just for more comfortable balance when driving, this thing feels like driving a kite at times!). I want to remove the feeling of an accident waiting to happen feel, so when she is driven, which is often. Most drives are not much more than 5 or 10 miles at a time and I try to avoid driving in traffic as much as possible... It's not really that it can't drive in traffic well... It's literally more watching people doing U-turns, following me, waving/honking me down & stopping everywhere for the 2 almost irritating things... one, everyone wants to know what it is... And two? Is it for sale... I wish I had plates that said "NOT 4 SALE" or "DONT ASK" Rolling Eyes

God I still hate that hood scoop add-on... Can't wait until the day its gone....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SHINY! . . . Let yer shine loose!

Of the other 3 Sebrings known of (that I can find in 3 years of searching anyway).... this one below says it was done off 356a setup in the mid/late 60's... the other two known of were done were on Ghia chassis and no other info stated... So in the end?
I'm thinking this will be close to the endgame of this...

....Minus the ugly headrests....

(if anyone has any more info on this car please hook me up as I would love some more info on it's original build)
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She laughs...

Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just so cool. You just need an Elvis wig and glasses and your in Spin Out.
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red smoothies with original hubcaps and whitewalls looks quite clean; if it were mine, I'd keep that set up.
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
svtman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed your posts about your La Dawri Sebring.
Well there is another one in existence. I have found and purchased a 1961 La Dawri Sebring built with body #8 and am picking it up on Wednesday 6/10/15. This one is built on a Volvo P544 Chassis with a 1.8L 4 cyl up front.
Sorry... it's not VW based, but thought you would find it interesting for this thread.

springer-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

So I see it has been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread. I found it while researching an interesting ad on craigslist for a 1957 LaDawri Sebring. I realize it is a bit of a stretch for this forum but I really didn't find anywhere else it should be shared or possibly even appreciated.

This is NOT my car or my ad. I did however look at it long and hard before deciding it was more than I wanted to take on, as cool as it would be.

I hope you all at least enjoy checking it out. And for those of you lucky enough to have one, I think the hard top would be something that you may not have seen before.... at least from what I gather from this thread.

I chose to upload a couple of photos since the craigslist add will someday be gone and this will help preserve the information here.

Here is the ad ... https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5331793258.html

Here are a few pictures from the ad...

I hope you all enjoy.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

So, since it's been quite awhile so.. I thought I would share whats happening next...

As of right now, its original 36hp is out of the car & my son is detailing it... as well as replacing all of the brake lines end to end... And he's dropping the rear end a click or two... and throwing a set of 2" drop spindles we have laying around... (though I told him adjusters would have been smarter so we'll see if I can make him eat his words)

Today we ordered up some Gun Metal 17x7's for her... Don't worry, we will also be ordering a set of whitewalls as well later this year (trying to make it so we can swap all wheel & tire combos between all 3 of our type 1's) ..and then I guess we'll draw straws to decide who drives what... : ) =

The goal this year is pretty simple, drive the crap out of it..! have fun..! and mass some more stuff & next year it will get the full treatment top to bottom...

Here are my poor photo shop skills... should have a real photo of them on in a few weeks...

I suppose a few questions regarding the interior..

While we have our cut '67 vert seat that seem to fit in a pinch... We've (I've) been looking at other options...One thing that seems to stick out is I went to LQK a few weeks ago (for a different car) and I just randomly started looking at some rear seat sets to ind a foundation for the interior to build off of... and came across a set of Tan Leather '94 Trans am (GM, camaros, 300z's etc..) and it almost seems to have good dimensions..

So I guess a question is... if you have to find seats that fit in the rear of a type 1 pan... does anyone have any suggestions as what may randomly fit?

I hit the junkyards but just don't know what might or might not fit so I'm sorta looking for suggestions...
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

...And so today we lowered her 2" all the way around... 2 clicks in the back... and threw on some 2" drop link pin spindles we had sitting around here...

I like the look but I'm not sure if the 17" Radars, that are on order right now, are going to fit right... Fingers crossed but I think she'll need to go back up a click in the rear & going back to the stock spindles & using adjusters instead...

Meanwhile... the junkyard hunting continues for some seating to build the interior off of...

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Speak to the hand I think the look of the wheel/tire combo it has now is perfect! Same goes for the ride height! Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

YAY!!! Spring bling time..! 4 new pieces of this puzzle arrived today... LOL

Hopefully we'll have rubber on them this weekend or next weekend, fingers crossed..

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Dry fit day... Off the bat, going to need some 1" spacers to clear the '57's short axle swing arms...

So far the rubber argument is between whether to go with:
205/40's front, 215/45's rear with mismatched profiles & treads
...or...
215/40 front, 215/45 (possibly 50?) rear with matching profiles & treads...

what to do... Anyone have any input? ...feel free to chime in...

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the same width tires with different aspect ratios. The taller tire will have a narrower tread width. I think it looks weird to have the wider tread on the front.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I wouldn't use the same width tires with different aspect ratios. The taller tire will have a narrower tread width. I think it looks weird to have the wider tread on the front.

Yep, our our exact thought as well so we ordered the 205/40's front & 215/45's rear this morning... and the 1" spacers for the rears as well.. Wink

Does anyone point me towards pictures of contoured seat bottoms? I think we are going to use the seats we have, use contoured seat bottoms... and then get a matching seat back cover and then order extra matching material to build the interior around...

I searched all over here and can't really find any examples or images to go off of for better ideas. So far the only ones I can find are online are TMI but they don't have decent images or options to see.... other than this but I know I've seen other styles of standard beetle contours in builds over the years but I'll be damned if I can seem to find any of them now.. LOL! so looking for suggestions I suppose...

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: