Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a rear disc kit that can retain a working handbrake? My rear disc kit is from smallcar and while the stopping power is good, the handbrake does not hold at all. It's been like this since 2009 and I'm about done with this upgrade. The parking brake can barely hold the van from rolling on level ground. The engine at idle is able to overcome the parking brake and of course it can't hold the van on a slight hill. Cables are lubed and free, actuator appears to be operating in the 'middle' of its range.

Is there any other disc brake kit that has a decent parking brake? I'm inclined to put the rear drums back on.

If you have a rear disc kit that you like, can you do a test for me? Pull the handbrake (at a normal tension, for normal parking) then drive forward a little in 1st gear. When you then push the clutch, does the van stop quickly by the rear brakes?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Burley's rear kit as well as CVBill.
When assembled properly and tuned it offers incredible stopping power and an excellent emergency brake.

Custom rear brake cables can really help with the e brake action.

Alaric has posted links to a company that makes them up.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent help, thx

found this ongoing thread called
"Who is running rear disc brakes? Like them? Worth it?" that has good info.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Burley's and it works great.....
Miguel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my own and rear brakes hold perfect. Sounds like there could be something wrong with your cables?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Can anyone recommend a rear disc kit that can retain a working handbrake? My rear disc kit is from smallcar and while the stopping power is good, the handbrake does not hold at all. It's been like this since 2009 and I'm about done with this upgrade. The parking brake can barely hold the van from rolling on level ground. The engine at idle is able to overcome the parking brake and of course it can't hold the van on a slight hill. Cables are lubed and free, actuator appears to be operating in the 'middle' of its range.

Is there any other disc brake kit that has a decent parking brake? I'm inclined to put the rear drums back on.

If you have a rear disc kit that you like, can you do a test for me? Pull the handbrake (at a normal tension, for normal parking) then drive forward a little in 1st gear. When you then push the clutch, does the van stop quickly by the rear brakes?

Is your setup made out of newer VW calipers? They look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a common - and false - belief that they auto adjust. They will do that, but not if they are installed wrong. You must help the caliper piston when installing or replacing the pads. The piston must be pushed out as close as possible to an impossible install. It should be really tight to get the caliper back into position.

Symptom 1: You can pull the hand brake lever on the caliper to max without enough parking brake.
Symptom 2: You can push the brake pedal and immediately get locked rear wheels.

If the calipers are cheap copies, go get better spare calipers or originals from a scrap yard. They usually outperform cheap scheit even if they have been used for thousands of miles.

IF you have those calipers. Trust me, I have been using them since ages on many different cars. My Vanagon has them and it passes MOT with ease.

Good luck, hope it helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Burley rear discs installed on my late Westy. Handbrake was almost useless. Many tried, but no one could fix it. I was told that it pretty much boiled down to physics---30-inch tires on a heavy Syncro Westy with the available clamping area=diminished e-brake holding. A few people suggested hydraulic line locks. I finally went back to drums (complete low-miles rear disc kit available!).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Cables are lubed and free, actuator appears to be operating in the 'middle' of its range.

I've pretty much ruled out the "actuation" of the parking brake. It all works good. But it does not stop the disc.

If I reverse, and press the brakes, the van stops HARD. I like the way the discs work with the footbrake, and have noticably better stopping power than the drums.

Sodo wrote:
If you have a rear disc kit that you like, can you do a test for me? Pull the handbrake (at a normal tension, for normal parking) then drive forward a little in 1st gear. When you then push the clutch, does the van stop quickly and positively by the rear brakes alone?

Can someone (who likes their rear brakes) do this test for me and report back? Maybe a drum brake too?

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
Is your setup made out of newer VW calipers?

No the calipers don't look like that, calipers look exactly like those on Burleys website.

Sodo wrote:
Cables are lubed and free, actuator appears to be operating in the 'middle' of its range.

I've pretty much ruled out the "actuation" of the parking brake. Cables pull tight and the brake actuator is not at the end of its travel, it's gripping the discs, just not gripping very hard, it does not stop the disc.

If I reverse, and press the footbrake, the van stops HARD. I like the way the discs work with the footbrake, and have noticably better stopping power than the drums.

Sodo wrote:
If you have a rear disc kit that you like, can you do a test for me? Pull the handbrake (at a normal tension, for normal parking) then drive forward a little in 1st gear. When you then push the clutch, does the van stop quickly and positively by the rear brakes alone?

Can someone (who likes their rear disc brakes) do this test for me and report back? Maybe those with a drum brake too?

pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's wrong with your install... Sorry i did not install them myself so cannot guide you with what to do... Embarassed

My front and rear Small Car disc brakes are awesome! Had them installled in 2008. The rear parking brake works very good. My tdi cannot go forward and i stall the engine, just to let you know how good they are.

Well at least you know that you can do something about it...
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, every single set of rear discs I have installed for myself and clients will stall the van in first with the e brake on with four to five clicks.

I have installed SC and Burley kits.

When people complain of no e brake or weak e brake from these kits I have been chalking that up to improper installation or tuning.

Sorry, mine work great.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Yup, every single set of rear discs I have installed for myself and clients will stall the van in first with the e brake on with four to five clicks.

When people complain of no e brake or weak e brake from these kits I have been chalking that up to improper installation or tuning.
Sorry, mine work great.

4 to 5 clicks, good info

I'll count clicks but whatever the number is, I pull as hard as I can on it (and it's not out of clicks) and still my van rolls very easily with a very slight hint of braking. Smallcar installed mine.

Can you describe the 'tuning' you've done? Any thoughts about the pads material choice? I have the original that came from smallcar.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Sorry, mine work great.

4 to 5 clicks, good info, I'll count clicks but whatever the number is, I pull as hard as I can on it, and it's not out of clicks, and still the van will roll very easily. Smallcar installed mine.

Can you describe the 'tuning' you've done? Any thoughts about the pads material choice? I have the original that came from smallcar.

Sure.
I use drilled and coated rotors.
Custom sized brake cables.
Pagid pads.
ATE super blue fluid.
And most of all I make sure that the caliper is on the side it was designed to be on.
This is more important for dual piston calipers and when not done, the braking feel is not how I prefer it or how anyone I have installed brakes for prefers it.

Since SC installed the brakes, I feel it is in your best interest to deal with them directly and have them supply a system working the way you would like it.

I would prefer to not get in the middle as I have been there before and do not enjoy it.

The system they offer works.
Getting it installed properly is the issue here.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

The system they offer works.
Getting it installed properly is the issue here.

Very good to know.

I put a lot of time & energy into these brakes when they were new, and no joy from the handbrake. I loosened mounting bolts, shifted them around a little, straightened the cable routing. Aside from pad material I don't think much more can be done with this kit but will go at it again.

WRT single piston calipers. A single piston caliper could be self energizing I suppose, will look at it with that in mind. Will test the hand-brake power rolling backwards, see if any difference from forward.

Will report back after replacing the cables which are now 4 years old (but look 8 years old),,,,,to be sure all the pull is making it to the caliper.

thx again

svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you have bad faulty calipers or there is a tuning to do. Like said, you must help the calipers to be self adjusting.
The wire should be loose enough to let the lever go back to its fullest stop. It really should be at the stop, no play at all.
The first click on the handbrake and the wire should start moving the caliper lever. Yes, no sloppy wires. Also as I wrote before you must install the caliper with the pads tight. Otherwise the handbrake actuator inside the caliper will be one step after all the time on the internally mechanical "threaded" push rod, and will never be able to push out the piston enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information that I received in the past from some Samba members is that the custom e brake cable and housing is the solution to this problem.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
insyncro wrote:
When people complain of no e brake or weak e brake from these kits I have been chalking that up to improper installation or tuning

Sorry but me and others with this issue don't agree with this. In my case, same as Reventlos above, my van has gone thru two of the most reputable shops in the Bay Area plus a couple of individuals. Still no grip from ebrake on my Audi-based rear disk brakes. Kit was installed by the top Vanagon shop in my area. They are supposed to know what they are doing. There has to be something else besides tuning or installation because we have gone down that road one too many times. You have people here telling us they have tried everything and still no luck, even going back to drums out of frustration. I wish some of you that have had success could take a look at my case because I'm already out if options other than going back to drums. The only pattern that I have notice so far is that most of us with this issue own late Westy vans. Not sure that makes sense.

Sodo, please report on your findings after you fiddle with it.

All of my vans are late vans, Syncros and or Westfalia vans.
Being detailed oriented, reading between the lines and searching for answers may not be a strong suit of these "reputable shops" you speak of.
I hear the same thing, day in and day out about suspension tuning issues?
Plenty of very useful information gets posted in these forums daily....
Whether people or shops use this information is out of my hands.

Actually, one correlation I see time and time again with easily fixed issues are that most happen to vans residing in the State of California Exclamation
Some of these shops seem to be making a killing on work that is sub par in the eyes of this humble wrench.

Search, read, apply is the best advice I can give.

I will also add that "Audi based" rear kit implies separately purchased parts, not a kit purchased from a vendor.
Am I right?
If so, I am not even sure the proper parts have been assembled.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, it must be a California thing. Laughing Laughing

As I mentioned above, I think the ticket is custom e brake and housing, which means installing a kit you purchased from a vendor using your van's original cable is just not enough.

As far as I know, the kits sold by vendors are also made by separately purchased parts. Yes, proper parts were assembled. Again, there are more people out there with this issue, not just me.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Oh yeah, it must be a California thing. Laughing Laughing

As I mentioned above, I think the ticket is custom e brake and housing.

Yup, I shared that with you some time ago.

It seems that no one is paying any mind to the basic brake installation advice and tuning suggestion about clinching up the piston while installing offered here as well.

If the brakes are just slapped on and you are whisked away to the cash register, there lies part of the problem.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
If the brakes are just slapped on and you are whisked away to the cash register, there lies part of the problem.

Agree, something that should also be said when you purchase one of these kits, you are assuming everything will work fine in your van out of the box. No word you need to change the e cable. Sure more experienced peeps figure this out during installation but we are not all experienced mechanics here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: