Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail light housing question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Tail light housing question Reply with quote

This is a pic of my disassembled tail light housing. Is the bulb holder portion just a press fit in the housing (which seems too flimsy), or am I missing something? There are the 2 holes, but don't see how they have any relevance... Thanks as always ...Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light housing question Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
This is a pic of my disassembled tail light housing. Is the bulb holder portion just a press fit in the housing (which seems too flimsy), or am I missing something? There are the 2 holes, but don't see how they have any relevance... Thanks as always ...Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the other side of the tail light, is there a tab on the bulb holder & a slot on the tail light? Also, is that a reproduction bulb holder? Only asking since it has spade terminals (1961 only) as opposed to the screw terminal (1955-60). if it is in fact a reproduction, maybe it's a poor copy & that is why it doesn't fit properly
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply... Yes it has the slot on the housing/tab on the bulb holder. They're both German parts.....year mismatch is apparently the problem. Tab and press fit all good... can probably rig something to secure the top, or better yet find the right bulb holder. Thanks Again
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people put a piece of safety wire to hold in place.

I installed the LED lights in my snow flakes, and I am done with the old bulb holders, and I run my ovals stock.

You will never have to worry about the car behind you seeing those lousy lights again. Worth its weight in gold.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

747frieghtdog wrote:
Some people put a piece of safety wire to hold in place.

I installed the LED lights in my snow flakes, and I am done with the old bulb holders, and I run my ovals stock, so it was a decision I didnt take lightly.

You will never have to worry about the car behind you seeing those lousy lights again. Worth its weight in gold.

My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light housing question Reply with quote

I have a similar question. Took my housings apart to get the bezels rechromed. Thought i would reassemble them 1st, so i would remember how when i got the bezels back. For the bulb holder, i see small round hole and a slotted tab type slot in the holder, and then a tab on the reflector housing i think. Shouldnt the bulb holder press fit into the reflector housing? It cant just dangle in that hole can it? Or is the copper band that is part of the fender mounted bracket what is supposed to keep the bulb holder in place? Seems un-German design wise if that is the case. And that bracket piece is copper so it must act as a ground? Its all screw terminal parts so not like the above prior posters setup.

So one of the 4 tabs is missing so now I'm on the search for a good used bezel or a set. Anyone had experience with WW reproductions? Im guessing they're junk. And what about reflector housings? Anyone have a nice OG set of bezels to sell?

R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: