Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Back with another update on my top end rebuild.

I ended up ordering a set of AA 94mm P&C's which arrived yesterday.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also picked up my refurb'ed heads the other day which came out beautifully.

Just waiting on gaskets, seals, fuel line replacement and cv boots to arrive.

In the meantime i'm doing some engine bay refurb to address corrosion issues.

I'm also stripping down my engine tins and impeller housing for painting. I've gone over them with a steal brush and then 150 gritt sandpaper. Going to give the tins some phosphoric acid to eat away any remaining rust before I paint them with 500f engine enamel spray cans.

I also need to figure out how I'm going to get this sheered bolt extracted from the transmission. I'm trying to track down a mobile welder to take care of my battery corrosion so perhaps he can tack a head onto it.

More updates to follow. [/img]
www.instagram.com/TheHippieVanMan
www.youtube.com/thehippievanman
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

That broken cv bolt will unscrew easily if you clean the area up first.
carb clean,brake clean,etc.

The hole is threaded ALL the way through the flange. Idea and, is not a (blind threaded hole)

you should be able to unscrew it with your finger nail or, a pocket screw driver.

REALLY Exclamation
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
That broken cv bolt will unscrew easily if you clean the area up first.
carb clean,brake clean,etc.

The hole is threaded ALL the way through the flange. Idea and, is not a (blind threaded hole)

you should be able to unscrew it with your finger nail or, a pocket screw driver.

REALLY Exclamation

Good advice. I used some penetrating oil and it came right out with just my fingers. I guess I assumed that since it was broken off, it would be a lot more difficult to extract.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I was searching for Phosphoric Acid to give my rusty engine tins an acid bath and convert the rust into ferric phosphate. After last weeks de-grease and power wash, I prepped the engine tins with a wire brush followed by sand paper.

I went to Home Depot and Canadian Tire but was unable to find anything with a significant amount of phosphoric acid. A Google search showed that the Toronto Hemp Company (long established head shop in Toronto) carried 85% Phosphoric acid (also used to control the pH while growing plants).

I ended up mixing 1L of 85% phosphoric acid with 6L of water. Let's see how it turns out. I started with a few tins tonight.

[/img]
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Refresh/rebuild is going great. The phosphoric acid is working wonders on my krusty rusty tins and bits.

I also picked up my first welding machine. I've wanted to learn for 15+ years and finally decided to do it. I got a sweet deal on a practically new mig/flux-core kit off craigslist. Luckily my cousin gave me a crash course. Today I repaired a few of my engine tins (will post pics next time).

I also cut out my battery tray. Hopefully going to weld in a new piece of metal tomorrow. I have prepped the engine bay with the phosphoric acid on all the rusty areas and will be painting everything as well.

Anyone in Toronto want to come by tomorrow and help me install the cylinders and head Very Happy ??? Or any advice / links to great tutorials??

Here are a few pics from the past week or two.

Last edited by TheHippieVanMan on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I know it's F-ing hot this week, but get a long sleeve shirt and some pants (of coveralls) on if you are going to be welding, or you will get a wicked ass UV burn. Been there done that
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Find your temp2 sensor hole (if running FI) on your cylinder head and put that head on the correct side.-

looking good.-otherwise.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Find your temp2 sensor hole (if running FI) on your cylinder head and put that head on the correct side.-

looking good.-otherwise.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I was doing some final top end prep today, waiting out the scattered showers so I could do my top end install. As I was inspecting my heads I noticed two scorch holes (not sure if that's the correct term).

I'm thinking I should take them back to the machine shop that refurbed them for me? How bad is this?

Link

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Those look like casting voids- I get them too and just fill the little one (welded one) with sealer- but would have the other welded as it has stains. if their not to big.

If worried bout leaks- spray em full of wd-40 and hit it with some compressed air- good catch by the way.-- watch behind the fins for spray.

Don't step in any!
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Gut wrenching screw up today

I determined the casting voids I mentioned in the post above were not connected, and ended up using this stuff to fill them http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Inferno%20Metal%20Repair-141.

Today I decided to take on the top end install. Everything was laid out and the #3, #4 barrels had sealant laid down. I started the first 11lbs torque sequence and got about half way through when I remembered I forgot the tin. I began to remove the nuts thinking I might be able to pull off the head and tubes, install the tin quickly and get it back on before the sealant dried.

The head seemed to be stuck on the cylinder even after removing all the nuts and push rod tubs had separated from the case. I couldn't figure out why, until I was able to get it apart only to see that the head gasket had slipped down prior to tightening the head on.

the head's sealing surface is pretty badly scored both on the bottom and sides. the only dim bright side is that this is the head with the time cert, the casting voids and weld, and that had the head gasket burn up. Time for a new head (and by new I mean reman'ed because I just don't have $600) or this worth salvaging?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I pulled the plug on my ACVW engine before getting that far into the rebuild, but isn't the SOP these days to ditch the head gaskets in favor of barrel shims? This might not help you so much now, but maybe food for thought when you get your new heads. Could lapping help the situation?
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Going to give lapping a try.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Do not use head gaskets, hand lapped head directly on the barrel is the only way to do it right and be sure it'll last.

Have you measured the combustion chamber size and the deck height to calculate the compression ratio?

Damage like this is impossible to fix in the middle of nowhere, especially when it blowtorches a notch in the head seal area:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on the notion that the head gasket acts as a fuse so you don't damage more expensive components if things get to hot? just trying to wrap my head around it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
VW said to stop using them: http://web.archive.org/web/20060629122627/http://h...hbull.html

Steps #2, 3, and 4.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I've been following the formula given here http://www.aircooledtech.com/calculating_cr/ for calculating CR. After running my numbers I was getting 10.24:1 ratio which I knew couldn't be correct. Then I realized the formula provided didn't take into account the dished pistons.

How/where do I plug-in the volume for the dished pistons?

thanks in advance Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:
I've been following the formula given here http://www.aircooledtech.com/calculating_cr/ for calculating CR. After running my numbers I was getting 10.24:1 ratio which I knew couldn't be correct. Then I realized the formula provided didn't take into account the dished pistons.

How/where do I plug-in the volume for the dished pistons?

thanks in advance Smile

Good catch!! Very Happy

But sweet Nordhoff that is a lot of math. Just plug and play here!

https://www.cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

What is your desired compression ratio? Are you headed back to South America any time soon? I use a slightly lower than stock CR because I built my engine to make occasional trips to Baja, and I doubt the quality of gas in the sticks out there is as consistent as the (consistently crappy) quality of gas in Southern California.

Dished pistons lower compression ratio because the volume of the dish is added to the volume of the combustion chamber. So you will add your piston dishes (measured in cc) to the "Combustion Chamber cc's" volume. VW made dished pistons from 2cc all the way up to 40cc (or more!) Measure yours a few times using the tricks for measuring combustion chamber volume, and add them to the calculator. Check to make sure your units are selected, and let us know how it goes!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply. I'm planning to drive down to Mexico in January to escape the Canadian winter, be with my girlfriend and surf (working from my computer as always). No plans besides that at the moment. Will let you know how the calculations turn out.

I was getting 14.5cc per piston so I'm sure that should bring it down closer to or within the correct range.

My head volumes are
52.25cc / 52.75cc / 51.5cc / 50cc

I'm guessing I'm going to want to use spacers to try and bring the 3&4 closer to the 1&2?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:

I was getting 14.5cc per piston so I'm sure that should bring it down closer to or within the correct range.

My head volumes are
52.25cc / 52.75cc / 51.5cc / 50cc

I'm guessing I'm going to want to use spacers to try and bring the 3&4 closer to the 1&2?

What is your deck height? If it is within VW specification, a 14.5cc dish should get you close to a factory compression ratio.

I do not know about using spacer on one side of the engine and not the other. If the heads were worked on by the same machinist, I would be pitching a hissy fit at him or her right now. Your variance in CC volume is larger than the dishes in my pistons. Unacceptable in my book, but I'm sure some folks have built engines with worse than that. Rolling Eyes

--

Alright I'm going to get a little picky here, and this is for people who read these threads and don't respond, not just for you, so don't take it personally!

A compression ratio isn't something we "get." It is a decision we make long before we start assembling engine components. There is a trade off between economy, efficiency, operating temperatures, fuel requirements, longevity, throttle response, and more that ALL result from different functions of the compression ratio.

Compression ratios are decided on based on what we want out of the engine. Have you decided on what you want? If you don't have a number, that's fine! Just tell us the long-term goals of the engine and what is and is not important to you. We're happy to help, but we want decisions to be the cause, not the effect of any engine build. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: