Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug hearse build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the rest of the bracing for the lower portion of the box done on one side. Wanted to see how the Morris Traveller fender is going to sit. I am pretty sure that I want to reindex the rear springs to give me a bit of a lift. This shot has 80 or so psi in the air shocks and the adjustable beam is at the highest point. Going to throw some sand bags on it to see what the final ride height will be as is and then go from there. But I am trying to leave the fender stock and an inch increase would fit the fender better. Will throw a front fender on it as well just to eyeball it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!! Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - whats a real pain in the ass is that I am trying not to modify the rear fenders - which mean the wooden arch that the fenders attach to needs to be removable by the torsion tubes. But I can sort that out.

Hoping to get some of the MDO (exterior sign grade plywood) on the lower portion of the body next week.

Oh yeah - got the rear window in temporarily. The size worked out pretty well. The one thing that really is difficult on this build is that I dont totally have it in my head what the upper part of the hearse box is going to look like. I have almost everything else worked out, but I am not comfortable with building on the fly. Hope I don't screw up.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a front fender on - Put a little weight on the front - but looks like the ass end needs to come up about an inch or so. I can drop the front end, but am not really after a rake. What I need to do is let the air out of the shocks throw about 100 lbs on it and see where its at and then reindex. And I broke down and bought myself a new camera. Have been making due with partially broken hand me downs. Like holding battery door on with duct tape. Man it's nice not having to hold it together while taking pics Very Happy

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post some pics later - got some of the plywood on last evening and heading back over in a few hours. Only thing that sucks is that it looks like the back of a tow truck right now.. Laughing

I can't stress enough the importance of having a second pair of eyes/hands on a radical build. I have 2 6" fans and ductwork bringing fresh air into the engine compartment. Was getting ready to come up with an air filter box to reduce dirt from coming in - My buddy Jeff says "wait a minute - I'll be back". Pops back in with a Shop Vac pleated filter (6"ID cylindrical filter). Its freaking perfect for what I need...plus being cheap and easy to install/replace.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDO plywood on the sides and "deck" Looks like it should be a freaking tow truck. The rear fender is just sitting there - will be about 2" away from the flat panel. Running boards will be fabbed to run to the rear fender. This is all just a starting point. Will look a "little" different in a couple weeks.

Once we get this screwed on, then will start fabbing the upper portion of the box and mocking up the roof. Things will look a little "boxy" for a while...

Filters for engine compartment air intake - courtesy of shop vac. I am using a 6" fan behind each filter and will have plenty of air to keep things cool. There isan access panel in between them to allow me to service the filters, fans and get to the shift rod coupler. All that will be hidden under the coffin.

Also running a 3" pipe up to the hearse box to keep a slight positive pressure inside to reduce dust infiltration and also, to move air to keep things cooler as well. Will have lots of glass and would be like a greenhouse.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filters and ducts are wicked. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons I like working with Jeff, the cabinetmaker. Really smart guy and he thinks outside the box a lot. I have 6" flexible duct that I was going to run to an "airbox" that would have filters in it. He walks over to his one tool room and comes back the a shop vac filter...... Cool

Now I just have to finish installing the 1914 in my wifes dune buggy and I can get back to work on the hearse - OK - get this - had a mild 1776 in the buggy that took a shit. Threw a rebuilt 1600 with dual carbs, ratio rockers, and header in it. Ran pretty damn well. I mean a buggy weighs next to nothing. And she says "its nice. but doesnt have as much oomph as the other engine. Can you do something?" Shocked

But, this is one of the reasons I love her.... Cool And the hearse is her idea and her car....

It's nice when a woman "gets it". She was over when I was mocking up the rear fenders before I reindexed the springs - sat a little too low in the ass end though. Didnt tell her and wanted to see what she thought. "Well, its OK - but I don't know.......somethings just not quite right". Then after changing the springs and adding weight - which got it pretty good "Yeah - that's it" she says... Definately a keeper... Cool

One last comment on the car (post mushy stuff) we cut the plywood perfectly square. I was REALLY worried about how far out my metal framework was. This was my first serious welding project and you know how metal moves. I am off just under 1/8" from corner to corner, which wont matter becasue of the corner trim, but I am pretty happy with that seeing as the "bed" is about 6' long and 52" wide.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total back pedal on concept - I have been wrestling with the direction before we cut more wood. Decided to go back to original concept - The sedan delivery thing just isnt working for me. Obviously I dont have the carvings and such nor is the color right, but I think I am OK with this - not sure about the width of the beltline molding right now.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting some work done but found a small (???) "boo boo". Was mocking up the roof rafters and discovered that my cab roof centerline is different than the rear body. Realized that the body has a twist. Not super hard to fix, but this is why you should always brace well before doing major surgery. Obviously I didnt brace it well enough. Embarassed But a hell of a lot better finding it now rather than after the body was in final paint.
Atheria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Any more pics? Reply with quote

Not 15 minutes before I stumbled upon this thread, I was pondering the idea/possibilities of making a beetle based pickup, and to some extent this is what you're doing, so I was wandering, do you have any more pictures?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any more pics? Reply with quote

Atheria wrote:
Not 15 minutes before I stumbled upon this thread, I was pondering the idea/possibilities of making a beetle based pickup, and to some extent this is what you're doing, so I was wandering, do you have any more pictures?

Do I have more pictures????? Yeah a shitload. I try to document my builds real well. PM or email me and let me know what you are looking for specifically. And seriously, if I can do this, anybody can.

But if you look on the Volksrods site, there are a lot of pickups ranging from very crude and simple to amazingly elegant. A lot have some really detailed build threads.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is pretty badass. would be coold as a mini camper too, in the boxed area a secondary gas tank could be added. give you SUPER RANGE! lol. anyways very cool love this thread

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - yeah with the basic plywood on - could have made almost anything. Actually got the roof rafters sorted out and cut last night. What really sucks is that my buddy, the cabinet make who is working on this with me, keeps trying to talk me out of curving the rear of the roof because it is going to be an incredible pain in the ass to do. But it will be soooooo cool. Laughing

The rear engine cover is almost done - just need to fit the VW louvers into it and do a little more welding on it. Then we can really get moving.

Once again, when doing anything nuts like this - you have to think ahead - have holes punched in my rafter for wiring, that I really dont think I will need, but gonn run them up in the ceiling anyway just in case.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the engine cover rough built. Of course still needs final welding and bodying, but I can at least use it to get the rest of the rear of the car built. Yeah - the louvers got cut out of the 73 deck lid. Also will have a perforated panel in the top that will give me about 30 sq" of vent. And of course I have my fans and ducts through the firewall.

This will be sitting vertically, but it has the same curve as a stock decklid. Its really not super useful. Will be used mostly for checking oil and adjusting timing. Any seriousl engine work will be done from an access panel under the coffin.

Got some of the electronics and lighting for the hearse box. Found these cool flexible LED strips at partsexpress.com. 3 color. So I can have the inside illuminated on a red glow, but can change it to any color as desired.
Have to seal with this stuff now, so I have wires run where ever I need them.

What I am doing is using a "halloween" prop module playback something like Addams Family (2 minute loop) as we drive in a parade or something, but have a wireless remote to trigger scary sounds with thunder and lightening. The LED strips are bright enough to give a lightening effect, Have a couple outside PA horns that will be hidden in the under body. So - if you see this at a show, be prepared.... Laughing

Edit - figured out the horn mounting and have a cheap 4 channel amp and 10" sub ordered....What a freaking idiot.... Laughing
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody following this - have to put the project on hold for a couple months. Both me and my cabinet maker buddy have been really busy with other projects for the last 6 months and the upcoming 4 months is going to be even worse. Bringing it back home next week until fall, so there wont be any or very few updates.

But I did get the sound system and special effects programmed and test fit. I know its a little hokey, but need to keep things light if I am in a parade with it. Does work pretty well - and the "scare" portion of the programming came out pretty well - I think I could have used a bigger subwoofer so you would feel the thunder better, but it does the trick. Cool
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !
your 4 months is up !! Shocked
I could have finished my build in 6 months !!! Rolling Eyes

OH ; wait a minute
I did finish my build Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Sarcastic Bostonian Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you can work like a maniac and crank through an incredible amount of fabrication in very little time, us mere mortals can't. LOL. As soon as I get this damn Super out of my work bay and then hurry and make some storage room for the 3 bugs I just bought and get the 2 junkers stripped, I can get back to work.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Getting some work done but found a small (???) "boo boo". Was mocking up the roof rafters and discovered that my cab roof centerline is different than the rear body. Realized that the body has a twist. Not super hard to fix, but this is why you should always brace well before doing major surgery. Obviously I didnt brace it well enough. Embarassed But a hell of a lot better finding it now rather than after the body was in final paint.

Back to it (at least for a little while) - Let me 'splain what happened to the above. I had another shop work with me on the rear of the cab. he didnt have any diagonals welded across the back when he welded up the rear panels. The centerline of the rear of the roof was off 1/2".

I have been procrastinating fixiing this for a while because it was going to be a real bitch. Had 2 options - cut the entire rear panel out and slice off 1/2 from the one side (needed to keep the rear window centered), notch the top corners and weld it back in. BUT then all of my attachment points at the bottom to the pan would have to be redone. OR figure out a way to slice and dice, keeping the rear window centered and leaving my bottom alone. What further complicates things is the massive amount of bracing on the inside of the rear panel.

Well, I mocked up the cuts in small scale with cardboard and it ended up being really weird (horizontal slice under the window with 2 different vertical pie cuts above and below the slice near the cab corners). Got the grinder and cutting wheels out. Made some jigging to give me my reference points and did all of my cuts. A little pushing got it where it needed to be and started tacking. It worked! Dancing My diagonal measurement at the B-pillar are with 1/8" of each other.

Later this week I can finish tacking and get the couple other things done so I can take it over to the wood shop and get back to the rear box.

Hoping to get a lot done over the winter - just been tied up with all kinds of stuff (all good) and have been picking up quite a few (5) old bugs that I needed to deal with in various manners.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: