Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a spare... I thought
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I've probably got one of those here IF you need it.

Thank Bobnotch, I have on the way with a set of lifters that were left behind. It was a good feeling to have removed this without incident. Hope that happens to my busted exhaust stud in my bike. Planning on messing with the 67s carbs some more today but first to the pet store as I promised my daughter I'd get a few new fish. She took casualties in her new tank.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool. Sorry to hear about the fish.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

What ever happened with this?

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
What ever happened with this?

I have all of it in a bin. I want to rebuild it as a spare but the time came to start my square rebuild so the entire thing was put away. It's still in the garage waiting its turn. I've never built an engine and wanted to use this opportunity to learn while putting this one together. I still plan on building it, however, it won't be until after I get the trailer built. Maybe a fall/winter project.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

FWIW.. I always use the "Plan B" technique.
(A guy like me gives advice, now you know what NOT to do... Laughing )

Having another motor on the stand, run-in and tuned, is like money in the bank.

These type-1 based motors, I'll tell ya, it's always something..

Most of the time, it has to come out to fix whatever is wrong.
And it's always so dirty, it needs cleaned up before it's any fun to work with.
That can take days.
Then, you have to wait for parts, or..?

If you had your Plan B motor together already, you would be swapped out in a day,
And you could take your time to do your "A" motor.

Dag, I wish you were closer.
From what I can tell by your pics in this thread, that thing is ready to go back together.
We would have it run-in on the stand by the end of a day!

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

That can take days.

If you had your Plan B motor together already, you would be swapped out in a day,
And you could take your time to do your "A" motor.

Dag, I wish you were closer.
From what I can tell by your pics in this thread, that thing is ready to go back together.
We would have it run-in on the stand by the end of a day!

Yeah, it’s ready to be put together minus the tins as I haven’t cleaned up a set and got them coated at all. The carbs I want to use are in a separate bin along with the brackets and such. They too need to be cleaned up. Starter and gen as well as the clutch plate and other items are all put away.
I’ll get to it but yes, would have been nice to have had it ready to go and just swap it out. One of these days, maybe.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

That can take days.

I don't have a spare on a stand, but I do have a spare on a cart sitting under my TIG table. All it needs to be put into a car is a generator and a belt. Very Happy Even has a clutch assembly on it. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Too many times it seems they are 'hard to tune' because of some internal engine problem; bent valve, low compression on one hole.. Etc.

At least if you put the spare together , you know it's right inside before you tune it up..

I dunno.. I'm just jaded I guess.
Been a long time since I took a motor apart that had everything right inside...

That car you just finished is SO nice! Shocked

Seems odd that you would put some unknown/leaky used motor in there.. Built by some other guy.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Too many times it seems they are 'hard to tune' because of some internal engine problem; bent valve, low compression on one hole.. Etc.

At least if you put the spare together , you know it's right inside before you tune it up..

I dunno.. I'm just jaded I guess.
Been a long time since I took a motor apart that had everything right inside...

That car you just finished is SO nice! Shocked

Seems odd that you would put some unknown/leaky used motor in there.. Built by some other guy.. Wink

HAHAHAA!! The guy that build that motor did a good job AND if you recall from my early posts when I got the car, I drove the old version of the car 1600+ miles from GA to SD. With the issues that motor encountered in the breakdown, fire. etc, it was running ok when I pulled it 2 1/2 years ago to start my build. I'll get it worked out and I hope get to the leak which I think is coming from the valve covers seals. Hope that's it. Either way, I leak forward to putting this engine together as I really want to learn how to build one.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Been spending time leaning how to build an engine. I need to mention this engine case and heads are not the same ones from my earlier post. New parts have been bought to build a larger engine.

Since my new power plant is going to be an 1835, the case recieved some machining along with the heads, pistons, cam, carb venturis and manifolds. Alots been done and and I've felt a little overwhelmed at times as I didn't fully understand some of the reasoning behind some of the processes but I'm beginning to get it. I'm very fortunate to have a friend who works in a machine shop and builds VW engines on his own time. He's been instrumental, teaching and explaining the process of building these things out and I've learned that slapping an engine parts together isn't as easy as some may make it out to be. Detail does pay off and I've been learning the importance of 'check, check and re-check' as well as more patience before you go for final assembly. I'm really excited to be learning something new on the wagen and look forward to experiencing the output. These are just a few pics. Nothing much...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Sweet. A real bonus on both the machine shop and someone to tutor you thru your first build. Cool

My first engine rebuild was being armed with Bentley, and the Idiot book. I muddled thru it, and when done it ran great. Like you said check, check, and re-check again. Don't be in a hurry, and double check your steps as you go.

I know I haven't built as many VW engines as Steve has, but I've done a few and it seems like each time I learn something new. Smile
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

This engine building process is an eye opener but I'm both grateful and lucky to have a buddy to teach me certain steps in the process. alot has been explained and demonstrated and at times I was overwhelmed with so much information. I'm close to completing the mock-up of the long block. I had to clearance a few case studs to allow the rocker arms to sit properly.

They've been cleaned up the hopefully I'll be able to put them together tomorrow.

The next step is to get the tins sorted out. Have to dig them out from storage so I can test fit them then send them off for coloring. I'm having a great time with this engine. So much to learn!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Big Fun!

I love building motors so much I'll build cars just to put them into! Laughing

Looks like you got your case galley plugs drilled/tapped for pipe plugs. Nice.

Do I spy a bit of work on those intake ports?

Did the crank/flywheel/pressure plate/fan all get spin-balanced as a unit?
That's the first hop-up 'trick' I do when moving from stock to more power..

If you are upping the power a bit, you'll want to do as much as you can for reliability,
cause having more power,
You'll use it. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Steve, All sorts of cool stuff is happening with this build. You spied correctly, The intake did get some work done as well as the manifolds which were opened up. The venturis and throttle bodies have also gotten some attention. About your question relating to balancing the crank/flywheel/pressure plate/ fan has been planned.

I've been mocking this engine up to ensure I have no binding anywhere as well as learning to build a motor. I used to be so afraid of the internal components or cracking the case and it isn't that bad. Just understanding the process is the curve I'm trying to understand and get a grasp on.

A little rub-a-dub-dub. My engine tin in the scrub tub. Cleaning these pieces off to send to blast and coat after a mock up and hammer work if needed.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted on here with my own advance n my engine build. I took some time off after learning my father's health was further going south and my sister and staff wasn't able to help much more as he' is an SOB to deal with. I took some time off and went back to Salinas CA to visit and get a sense of what's needed. During my road trip, I learned he was accepted into a VA Facility up in Livermore so I spent my vacation with my sister getting Dads things moved and driving up to visit him and observing him adjust to his new environment. I only picked up one part along the way as my motivation was fairly in the dump. I did manage to pick up some parts on a different project.

I've been working little by little on the air cleaner, trying to get my motivation back to get this engine put together. I still have to get the oil pump cover clearanced. Here are some pics of my progress.

The screen had a little larger openings I wasn't too happy with...

The full band didn't work so small coverings were made with the smaller mesh...

I found smaller mesh material to give it a better look...

Picked up my new engine tins with a brighter shade of blue to give the engine bay a brighter look...

I'm hoping to get back into putting the engine together in the following weeks.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

The engine tins look great Monte. I like the color too. Still trying to figure out what you're doing with the air cleaner, as it looks like you're trying to set it up to draw in warm engine air.
Sorry to hear about your dad's health, but good to hear he's got a place to take care of/watch him. The engine can wait, as family comes first. BTDT still dealing with it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The engine tins look great Monte. I like the color too. Still trying to figure out what you're doing with the air cleaner, as it looks like you're trying to set it up to draw in warm engine air.
Sorry to hear about your dad's health, but good to hear he's got a place to take care of/watch him. The engine can wait, as family comes first. BTDT still dealing with it.

Having to deal with my father has been difficult emotionally as well as challenging being that I'm not nearby to help.

I understand some folks may be curious about what I'm doing. I have to ask, what's the difference in putting an aftermarket set of carbs into the engine bay with sponge-like air cleaners that just cover the bowl of the carb? We've all seen them. Don't they suck in warm air from the engine bay as well? I asked myself this question over and over and I don't have an answer between the cool air forced in by the stock air cleaner and after market stuff people are putting on their engines to get more out of it. They only thing I'm trying to keep is the original look to it with some slight mods which are the openings that will allow for more air to get into the carbs which have been opened up a little to take in more air. I don't think I'm off a bit by doing this.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

I like where you are going with the air cleaner. 67 390 mustangs used openings like that with the mesh in dual cutouts in the air cleaners for better breathing.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

* Now that I'm better rested, I made some corrections to my earlier post as I had some incorrect info on here...

It’s been another stint since I last posted. Hope everyone is doing well. I got back into getting this engine put together. I’ve learned so much about getting the details right in order for a better build. Having to do some clearancing of pieces in order to make them fit to modifying the exhaust as I’m not going to be running heater boxes on this engine. It’s been an awesome time with putting this engine together and my buddy and I are anxious to see what kind of reaction this engine is going to give us when it gets turned over for its’ initial run.

The carbs have had a little work done to them. Being their stock 32PDSITs, the venturis were opened up to 26mm and the throttle bodies are 34mm from an early 17/1800 Type4 bus engine. Being that I’m using a different throttle body, the idle adjustment screw wasn’t hitting anything so that portion had to be extended which caused one of the linkage levers to be made as it was short and not angled correctly. The manifolds were also ported to flow 125CFM @ .420" when attached to the heads which are running 94mm TW cylinder and stock sized valves. The balance tube openings have been capped. The Distro is a gutted Chinese 009 with Petronix/Bosh innards as well as a Bosch cap. The coil will be a Petronix flamethrower as well.

I still have to get the fittings for the full-flow set-up as that’s near the last bit to getting this thing completed. Will need to spend some time looking for a good spot to place the filter mount and get that in place after running the engine outside the car.
As for the exhaust, the flanges on the J-tubes were cut so the tubes themselves could be re-clocked on them to get a direct route from the header to the exhaust flared out end. The tubes were short so a quick trip to the local exhaust shop that help bend up some heat tubes for the rockers during my car build came up with pieces I could use to extend the tubes to where I needed them. Next up was to cut the flared out piece, take some flanges my buddy had laser-cut and I made connections make adding and removing them easy.

Lastly, the type of muffler I’m planning on using is a Brazilian Kadron. I scored this some time and understand this is more than likely going to make the car sound loud. IF this is not the way I want to go with it afterwards, I have the muffler this setup came with when I picked it up long ago.

That’s been about it on that. I still have a small plate to fab up to cover the openings where the heater boxes went along with a few other things. More to follow.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Not alot of progress over that last week or so but My exhaust it done. I've been running the muffler on the square. It tucks under nicely. The next piece was to get my remote oil setup going and looking around the engine bay is limited. I saw some options others have done but thought of keeping everything on the engine. After some chatting with my buddy, I came up with a bracket to hang off the studs of the head on the #1 side. I bent it as I was thinking I might need to keep out and away from the tins. I added a coupling nut to create space and also to bolt the bracket on with a bolt rather than a nut. I think it came out sweet. Gave it some VHT wrinkle black and pressed on.

I created these additional tins to fill in where the heater boxes would normally go. Thanks Brian!

Last piece to this adventure is to tap the filter base for a sensor as I have gauges due in from ISPWest as well as all my hose fittings to mate this filter base to the case. Getting closer!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: