Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel paint dilemma
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexvw1963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel paint dilemma Reply with quote

I have a prairie beige l378 57. I purchased the ww l75 paint for shifter and e-brake handle.my steering wheel is in good shape just a little worn out on the top.im reading through the post here and alot of people use krylon and rustoleum paint or the steering wheel.is the steering wheel suppose to match e-brake handle,shifter ,steering columm and seat frames?
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel paint dilemma Reply with quote

alexvw1963 wrote:
I have a prairie beige l378 57. I purchased the ww l75 paint for shifter and e-brake handle.my steering wheel is in good shape just a little worn out on the top.im reading through the post here and alot of people use krylon and rustoleum paint or the steering wheel.is the steering wheel suppose to match e-brake handle,shifter ,steering columm and seat frames?

No. The wheel should be painted as those found in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539971. I have read that it should be a gray/beige, but don't think it right. JMHO, IF your wheel only has minor paint wear (not cracks, etc) leave as is.

FWIW, I used L75 for my gear shift & e-brake and think L75 is waaaaay too dark a beige. I'm NOT sure where WW came up with L75 being for seat frames, etc. I have seen og frames that appear to be a light beige but not nearly as dark as WW L75 (and some that appear more of an ivory) . Most often I see stuff painted to more or less match the wheel (an ivory tone). I will very much consider repainting with Krylon at some point as it appears more like the original. Glad to see another member of the L378 club.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct color is gray beige. It is a little lighter than the ww L75 beige color. The ivory that people are talking about in that thread is used in 55, not 56 or 57.
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, gray beige (but I don't think that's right), it's been referred to by paint code L472 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...gray+beige

WW offers either a stone beige L471 and a silver beige L466 could try either as they appear "close", or just try to match off the shelf OR since the Glasurit formula exists, maybe Tower Paint could match, but again, I'm not sure any of the above actually match - part of this is touch up of complete repaint. But to be clear, the wheel does NOT match seat frames, shifter or e-brake - it's a lighter (call it what you want) color that does not look very beige to my eye. But then again, I don't think L75 looks right.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code is L278, not L472. L472 looks more like a light gray. L278 is more like a light tan. Wolfsburg color is too dark. If you were to lighten it up, it would be more correct.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garwood's Car of the Century book says the gear shift/brake lever/seat frames/steering column tube were L71 Beige. (not L75) And the steering wheel/horn button housing/turn signal housing were 278 Gray Beige.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is unless another poster has the formulas, L278 isn't listed either on Glasurit's website or the KG site that has all the old Glasurit formulas. If somebody has it, post it up (if it hasn't been already). Glasurit's site has L71, but it is for an 80's era car (but it could very well be the same) and the color for L71 on the KG site looks far too brown, more so than even L75 (which is too beige also). As for Garwood, I don't like knocking the book, but I wouldn't trust it. So to the OP, if you can find a good local shop and have them match it, get the formula and post it up. Sorry if all this is making you dizzy.

For reference although a mid'55, this car's og shifter (see the lower closeup photo) was about as close to what mine looked like and a 56 wheel should be lighter than the shifter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L378 wrote:
for Garwood, I don't like knocking the book, but I wouldn't trust it.

Actually, as for Volume 1 goes, I almost never look at it, as I don't get involved with pre-60 stuff very often at all. So I don't know if I'd trust it either. Volume 2 though, is a different story, there are a few minor errors here and there but overall it's pretty good.

In this case, I just paged back in the book - Garwood lists that same color combination from 1950 all the way through 1957... and that doesn't quite sound right to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alexvw1963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys .i spoke to Jaime at kochs and its l75 I also verified with ww and they said the sAme thing .my steering wheel ,column, shifter and e brake handle are on the way to koch's for the works .ill post some pictures when I get them back .
surfer510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is kinda along the same lines as the steering wheel question. Last night I took the body off of a 57 that im rebuilding and the steering wheel "tube" is painted the original coral red all the way down to the base. I thought that factory they came in the same color as the steering wheel? WTF was this an option or just a repaint from back in the day? Any help is appreciated as always.--Kevin
alexvw1963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfer510 wrote:
Ok this is kinda along the same lines as the steering wheel question. Last night I took the body off of a 57 that im rebuilding and the steering wheel "tube" is painted the original coral red all the way down to the base. I thought that factory they came in the same color as the steering wheel? WTF was this an option or just a repaint from back in the day? Any help is appreciated as always.--Kevin

Someone probally repainted it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: