Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Bostig Questions Reply with quote

86 Syncro
Does the main wiring harness go to the inside or outside of the shock tower when looking at the van from the outside?

Also what goes in the extra thread hole in the cooling fill tower ? mine came assembled , except for the FLS and the empty hole, I saw a update that calls for a ECT sensor (what ever that is?)

Also which tail pipe did you use
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes on the inside of the spring perch Laughing

Libby will get a kick out of this.

You should really work on your terminology.

Have you read the manual and watched the videos...each of these questions is covered.

Tailpipe?
If your muffler doesn't have a tailpipe attached, you ordered the wrong one.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is I've watch too many videos, NONE are up to date , They have change things and have not updated .I've spent more time on the computer than working on the conversion.

JudoJeff seems to have dealt with a recent conversion and has offer a ton of info.

My muffler is still in the box which I haven't opened, so that 's OK

Quote:
Also what goes in the extra thread hole in the cooling fill tower ? mine came assembled , except for the FLS and the empty hole, I saw a update that calls for a ECT sensor (what ever that is?)

The update says he was going to illustrate this but I can't find anything on it.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
I've spent more time on the computer than working on the conversion.

If you are a first timer, and don't have a bunch of experience pulling engines, you NEED to spend the time on the computer. Please be patient, all the info you need is on the Bostig website and in their manual.
Granted, some basic, common sense stuff is left out, such as your question about the wire harness. The Bostig harness is designed to replace the Vanagon one and routes the same way. Did you pay attention to where the original harness was? Your other question about the length of the fuel pump wire, yes it's extra long for Syncros, either just coil it out of the way or (if you know how to do it correctly) just cut the extra off and splice the ends. Make sure you do it right if you cut. You MUST make a clean, corrosion free connection that will last. Solder, and heat shrink tubing. Otherwise leave it alone and coil it.

Slow down, take a bunch of pictures before you tear stuff apart, and READ the manual. Watch the videos. It's all there. Don't get frustrated, if something looks wrong take the time to do it right. Don't drink while working, save that cold frosty one for after you get it done! You'll get there and all will be worth it! Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best info yet in this thread was deleted.

Dylan has an inside line on what's going on here, and it was yanked.

Stand by for News,Paul Harvey knows "The Rest of the Story" here--

Too bad.

Sounds to me another dreamer got in way over his head--and doesn't care to heed knowledgeable insights on how to get this job done half assed painlessly.

Again--Too Bad, and an unfortunate installation experience for reasons that are pretty obvious. Rolling Eyes
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice as given by Dylan was......... contact Bostig.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the ticket system that Jim has requested for all technical questions improves the knowledge base and will help every future installer that might run into the same issues.

I worked with Jim on the first round of documentation back in 2007-2008. The level of sophistication that the current round of docs provides is unmatched in the engine conversion business for any vehicle. As products evolve, there will always be gaps to fill in. I have recently been in contact with Jim and will be helping with improvements to the documentation project as time allows.

By going directly to the source with technical questions, you will eliminate the possibility of well intended misinformation provided by previous Bostig customers that could have installed a slightly different version of the kit.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us please not forget, DIY means do it yourself Exclamation
Down to the last bit of research you need to feel comfortable, and than you go to the garage.

And Jim will back me up on this.....my first time around, I bought the wrong alternator because I DIDN'T READ THE MANUAL!
One ticket later, Jim has me straight and I have the part ordered for next day drop off.
AFMs....I have gone through a shit ton of them, Jim, right there via a ticket to verify one working properly and we had data logs to show me what he was looking at.
ECUs...Yup, had issues, Jim, without a doubt, nailed it within minutes of my email.

Everyone has issues and questions.
Jim knows the conversion better than anyone.
Why come to the Samba to bitch and moan about how much work it is???

...thanks TK, good to see you caught those posts.
I did ask right in the last post to have them deleted.
The truth hurts.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECT = Engine Coolant Sensor

Post a photo of the open spot on the coolant tower that you are unsure of.

Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK boys, I'm not new at this I've worked for Callaway engineering for 8 years, I've built cars you dream of. I've worked for Porsche, M-B, and Volkswagen, I've owned nothing but VW's my whole life, I'm 60 so I probably had a VW before you were born . I big worry here is Time so I'm trying to plan out ahead , this is not just a conversion, I'm replacing or rebuilding anything that isn't body oriented at the same time.
Everything that was not needed for the kit was removed in 1 piece not cut out, I saved everything for spares, so that took a little longer, I'm also trying to arrange things so if I need to get to it I don't have to remove the gas tank again.

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Using the ticket system that Jim has requested for all technical questions improves the knowledge base and will help every future installer that might run into the same issues.

There's been tags into Bostig for the last three days with no response

thatvwbusguy wrote:

worked with Jim on the first round of documentation back in 2007-2008. The level of sophistication that the current round of docs provides is unmatched in the engine conversion business for any vehicle. As products evolve, there will always be gaps to fill in. I have recently been in contact with Jim and will be helping with improvements to the documentation project as time allows.

And most of those documents are still in the manual, there's new stuff that is not in the manual.

Insyncro, you answered the easy questions, how about answering the one about the second hole on the cooling fill tower.
From reading your post , You probably have the most information than anyone on the site, why make fun of people instead of passing it on. I know when I was wrenching that I didn't tell the service manager everything I did or how I did it that was my job security, no one here is going to take your job, in fact they will give you work.

I'll try not to bother you again.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, the documents I wrote back in 2007-2008 are not in the current version of the manual. Just about every facet of the v1.0 is different aside from the engine itself (exhaust, intake, adpater plate, mounts, wiring harness) are all significantly changed since then.

Even with the information gaps that have come along with product evolution, the Bostig docs are more developed than anything else out there that I have seen.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:

Insyncro, you answered the easy questions, how about answering the one about the second hole on the cooling fill tower.
From reading your post , You probably have the most information than anyone on the site, why make fun of people instead of passing it on. I know when I was wrenching that I didn't tell the service manager everything I did or how I did it that was my job security, no one here is going to take your job, in fact they will give you work.

I'll try not to bother you again.

Your vast mechanical experience should have you feeling like the Bostig conversion is a no brainer.
Unfortunately, for you, this bridge has been burned.
You communicated clearly your position when you asked me to take on the restoration and conversion of your van.
Your attitude and now line of questioning illustrates that you do not understand what is in front of you, nor have you understood what you have read this far.

All of the answers to your questions are available and are up to you to figure out.

I am entertaining a couple this weekend at the shop who are having extensive work done, including a Bostig conversion.
Nice couple, we have know each other for years, I have sold them a locker transmission years ago and it is still going strong.
They have really done there homework and now have me assembling everything and restoring and preserving the chassis.
These types of people get my full attention and all questions answered.

Best of luck to you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: