Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TX-73 Bug Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Mario, I'm curious to see the results and also to maybe figure the core issue. The dimensions I took were from inside face of heater channels but if you're applying it to a bug there I'll rely on your verification. At the end of the day maybe you can use this bug in your gallery Smile
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I just inspected the carpet and it comes out to the measurements we need so we will see what happens. Confused
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I had meant to add a pic of the battery installed and connected. Very handy now to have the cut-off and trickle charge connector installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

About 3 years ago I bought the Humvee seat belts that were kindly brought to everyone's attention by b1pig:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526370&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I also just bought 2 more of these shoulder belts (same vendor) for the rear seat, also shown in the post above.

The original belts were in good shape but no way will I use 40+ year old belts no matter how good they look. Especially when the fit and cost of the HV belts are excellent. These literally just about bolt in.

Original belts with the brackets that turn them 90 degrees so they are flat against the rear seat base.

Here's the new belt assembly with the OEM bracket, all it needed was just a slight enlargement of the holes to match up to the bracket.

OEM bracket painted, you can see the locating pin on it as well, this keeps the assembly in a vertical position so that the rachet and lock will work properly.

The new assemblies have this locator tab, so I modified it a bit to clear the bracket and to add a flat plastic panel to the back where it bumps up against the rear seat base.

You can see the OEM on the right and the new version on the left. Probably don't have to have the plastic piece but I decided to add it, I'm strange that way.

Finished version of the assembly, ready to go.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Seatbelt hardware all good quality, fits into the bug perfectly.

Bottom

Top, I went back and fixed the creases lol

Belt in place, I'm still amazed at the easy fit-up.

Rear seat is sort of in place, I'm having a time getting it pushed back far enough to sit into the lower bracket that runs across the car. I think the new seat pads are taking up all available room, so looks like a bit more muscle may be needed to get the base into place.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

My rear bottom seat was a bitch to get in with the OP's foam padding, and it's a bitch to get in with my Wolfsburg West horsehair.

I have removed insulation and padding under, and in back of, the seat; but it's still a bitch.

I have thought of elongating the two crossbar holes to allow the bar to move forward a bit, but that may interfere with my retracter seat belt unit--unless I tilt them forward a bit, that is.

Tip: try not to get it in on a hot day, unless you haven't showered yet, because you'll need a shower after wrangling the seat bottom back in.

In fact, I believe, either Rob or Dave (from VW Resource) had a heart attack while installing his rear seat. Maybe that was just a rumor, though.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

You're right about the shower, after wrestling with it for about 30 min. I was drenched. Pretty aggravated too. Trying to figure out some leverage to get it into place, it's about 3/4" out from the bar but may as well be to the moon lol.
Glad I didn't add thickness when I did the seat but yup the new WW pads are pretty rigid at the edges. I'm thinking maybe if I can compress the springs a bit more - that may help the base and back close up more.
What a pain.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX, I don't try to stick the whole thing in at once. Once it's sort of in, I start with one end, kind of pushing in on the very bottom of the seat; then I keep moving to the other side. Sometimes I use a flat wooden spatula to sort of hook it in.

Thus, it's good to have a battery cut-off, right? You'll only have to remove the seat to check your battery water and terminals a few times per year.

I really believe elongating the cross-bar holes is the only answer. This would allow the cross bar to move forward which would allow the seat more room. But like I said in the last post, the seat belt retractors would have to be tilted forward a bit, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

the battery cutoff and charger connection are lifesavers lol. I'll try what you suggested. I see what you're saying about the holes in the bar, but I've even thought about modifying another bar completely to make it easy to pull the base at anytime and to allow the belt retractors to stay in place. But for now I'll just try to get it into place in order for the new upholstery to "learn" the new fit.
Thanks
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Your retractors don't need to be moved; they just need to be tilted forward a little--assuming yours do, that is. Mine tilt.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

So I got the seat base in place. I noticed that the QuikRoof material was dragging on the seat base frame, adding to the effort needed to push the seat base into place. I reached behind the rear seat back and sprayed a bit of silicone along that lower frame resting on the body. Then I used Tim's advice to start at one end and pry it into place while sitting on the seat. Went in surprisingly quick.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Lucky, you. I removed all the insulation and carpet in that area, and sealed the welded panels to make them smooth; and it's still a bitch to get that seat bottom in.

But that seat sure is comfy to sit in with the new horsehair.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
About 3 years ago I bought the Humvee seat belts that were kindly brought to everyone's attention by b1pig:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526370&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I also just bought 2 more of these shoulder belts (same vendor) for the rear seat, also shown in the post above.

The original belts were in good shape but no way will I use 40+ year old belts no matter how good they look. Especially when the fit and cost of the HV belts are excellent. These literally just about bolt in.

Original belts with the brackets that turn them 90 degrees so they are flat against the rear seat base.

Here's the new belt assembly with the OEM bracket, all it needed was just a slight enlargement of the holes to match up to the bracket.

OEM bracket painted, you can see the locating pin on it as well, this keeps the assembly in a vertical position so that the rachet and lock will work properly.

The new assemblies have this locator tab, so I modified it a bit to clear the bracket and to add a flat plastic panel to the back where it bumps up against the rear seat base.

You can see the OEM on the right and the new version on the left. Probably don't have to have the plastic piece but I decided to add it, I'm strange that way.

Finished version of the assembly, ready to go.

This looks great.

I bought the same belts--but unfortunately the 1969 model year came with the non-retractable belts that just hung off a hook. So they did not have the brackets that turn them 90°. Where can I find a pair of those brackets?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

But that seat sure is comfy to sit in with the new horsehair.

Tim

Man it really is. All of the seats have really turned out very firm/comfortable.

SB, I think CIP1 and some other places sell the aftermarket version of these brackets.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D857%2D024
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Here's where the front carpet landed. TMI sent another section but it still did not fit, it was essentially cut to almost the first dimensions as the first one. They are telling me that they did a test fit on a bug there but yet it just does not fit my car. My bug is completely verified OEM, no accidents, no floor pan/tunnel mods, so I just can't understand why this one section doesn't fit correctly. All of the other carpet sections fit fine except for this one.

Here's the issue, I also sent them dimensions needed but they did not use them.

My alignment marks on the new section.

Bottom line is that's about it, any other carpet sections I get charged for, which I am not willing to do. I don't like that but all I'm going to do here is give this accounting and be done with this. I need to get on with my life and get the car finished.

Luckily what I found was that the console that I had planned to use will cover up the mismatched shift grommet. It needed a bit of repair so I'm gluing in some sheet metal bracing that will make it all pretty solid.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I also found some motorcycle shock boots that can replace the stock plastic cover tubes that I don't have.
Here's one of them slipped over the top mount kit.

Installed on a shock. I think these will work fine.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Here's what the shocks (oil filled) look like installed with the boots in place. I trimmed the length of the boots a bit as well.

Console about done, painted and added some carpet as well. Still have that little tray left to add an insert.

Earlier pic of the console general fit, luckily it covers the offset shift grommet. I had a hard time with that front carpet section, it's glued in place and of course it wanted to stick to everything. I would have liked for it to be shifted over to the passenger side just a bit but it is what it is. There will be rubber mats over it anyway.

Just a shot of the interior COB lighting. Works very well.

A few more bits and pieces, passenger seat back in place and the car is about done.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Looks good. Cant wait to run my COB lights.

What is going on with the ashtray on the dash?

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

LOL you win the observance prize today Very Happy I purposely didn't mention it.

I was fussing with it a bit and pulled on it and the facing came off. Looks like somewhere along the line someone decided to glue the face on and I never knew it. Easy enough to fix or replace completely.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Here's my TMI console. It has a nice boot to hide whatever. They made it to match my seat covers and door http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1340168

The boot can be folded up or down to show more or less of the shifter. My shifter has since been painted the same brown as the parking brake handle.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 35

Jump to: