Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Johnny's Speed & Chrome Employee Rollcall
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I heard somewhere that JSC was the company responsible for shilling the Type 3 cylinder tins as "Super Cool Tins" for Type 1 set ups, as well. I've heard it from more than one source, but have no idea if it's true or not.

That being said, their promotion of their sharkline fan shrouds (they were the shitty angle-cut design for external only oil coolers but with a high-tech exterior finish) was hilarious: they claimed that fan shroud dissipated heat better than any shroud on the market... lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the one thing they sold that was impossible to have enough of was these tiny blue glass gems that you stuck on the rear taillights, they sold them out so fast that there was a waiting list for them. Very Happy I also remember how strange it was that every item they sold was packaged in a blister package meant to be hung on a peg. I mean literally you could buy any item they sold in a resale package. We used to fill huge pallet size boxes full of parts destined for other countries like Brazil. Entire vw shops were purchased in a box! Surprised
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
Zack1978 wrote:
When and why did they go out of business? I do remember having a catalog when I was young (I am 34 now), and I always focused on the hot blonde on the cover in the "car washing" picture.

Zack

Like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big hair was all the rage back then.

Lot of items JSC sold I wish were still available.

That's it! The very same cover that I remember as a youth. Wow the 1980's were great! Thans

Any idea why they closed?

Zack
msturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Johnny's Speed & Chrome Employee Rollcall Reply with quote

My name is Wendy Palm.

Does this ring any bells?

: )
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Hoo! Finally a former JSC employee speaks up! Very Happy I believe you were partly responsible for keeping the radio on KLOS hehehe! Before working there, I worked at a newspaper called the Daily Star Progress, bet you know where that place was! GuadaLaHabra in da hizzy! Laughing
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white 66 beetle was owned by Kevin VanHorn from Modesto CA. I just saw him a few weeks ago. Also Chris Addington's Ghia before the Rodbuster rebuild... Good times...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll admit it. I worked there as well, but just for a short time. I worked at the warehouse doing sales....miss the smell of that bakery, was it Nestley?
I was one of the last employees when the store was closing up. It was fun until that last day when we were just sitting there with nothing to do and nothing to sell so I quit as well. I'd say that was around 94-95

PS Heidi and Frank took over the morning show for Mark and Brian. I miss KMET

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evlwevl wrote:
I worked at the warehouse doing sales....miss the smell of that bakery, was it Nestley?

It was Nabisco. Long gone now. Crying or Very sad

71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they were know all the way in Tahiti too Smile
My Mother-in-law's boyfriend's car that he bought as a teenager and plans on restoring back ..... someday ....

Tahiti Moorea Feb Mar 2011 081 by 71sbeetle, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tat2d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if anyone will remember but my father paul watkins was an engine builder for johnnys way back in the day.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the windshield for my '67 there back in the day. Car still isn't on the road Crying or Very sad

evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work with Don

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cashier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Bad Boy Club Reply with quote

I almost went insane from listening to KROQ for 50 hours a week. I liked the music but it was the same songs over and over again. Remember how I put prices on all the stickers that I found and put them in the display case? People went crazy over them, especially the Oakley windshield stickers and Gigantic Bad Boy Club stickers. We had Oakley blades in every color and combination. In the 80's all we needed was a paper and pen, we never worried about viruses or apps or email security. All the employees had invoice boxes and I still love handwrites to this day.

I named my cat Mickey Thompson
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Boy Club Reply with quote

Cashier wrote:
I almost went insane from listening to KROQ for 50 hours a week. I liked the music but it was the same songs over and over again. Remember how I put prices on all the stickers that I found and put them in the display case? People went crazy over them, especially the Oakley windshield stickers and Gigantic Bad Boy Club stickers. We had Oakley blades in every color and combination. In the 80's all we needed was a paper and pen, we never worried about viruses or apps or email security. All the employees had invoice boxes and I still love handwrites to this day.

I named my cat Mickey Thompson
I remember those stickers, and the glasses and the colorful shirts and shorts! Man people that were not there just don't know how big a deal JSC was,it was THE hot bed of vw activity in that area. Drag racing at Phoebe street and cruising Beach Blvd. and Whittier Blvd. in a lowered beetle back then was one cool trip!
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68Bug-lite wrote:
evlwevl wrote:
I worked at the warehouse doing sales....miss the smell of that bakery, was it Nestley?

It was Nabisco. Long gone now. Crying or Very sad

It was great when they would bake the lemon cookies in the evening--the smell was incredible. The site is still mostly a dirt lot. Sad
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought stuff from Johnnys all the time I just had to be careful about what I bought. I loved going into the store though because of all the action going on and the display counters. I probably spent over $20k with them. They had good and bad quality you just needed to know the difference before you bought. Last year 2013 I built a new engine using parts that were bought in the early ninetys, one of those parts were from JSC in a fully bubble packed package. Of course I opened it up and used them. NOS JSC labeled valve covers.... fired the motor up and sob they leaked LOL should have known. Pulled em off and here they sit NOS except installed for 20 min. I would have been better off leaving them untouched in the package Lol. But that was the way it was back then it was a crap shoot because of the quality of the parts coming in. Really though in this case it was because I tried to use 24 year old JSC VC's on some new CB heads lol. Even CB Performance was a crap shoot back then Lol. I was KNAC all the way back then, couldnt handle KLOS lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like johnny was a bit shady...

http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=399.0

http://ultimateaircooled.com/drag-racing/14922-johnny-s-speed-chrome.html

also sounds like him dead now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sounds like johnny was a bit shady...

http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=399.0

http://ultimateaircooled.com/drag-racing/14922-johnny-s-speed-chrome.html

also sounds like him dead now
Shady? Have some respect for the man, he is a vw legend imo. Rolling Eyes
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Legend." Lol. I just don't get the ridiculous pedestals on which people put sellers of car parts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, name a more important and infamouse vw speed shop from the past, you can't. Wink
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: