Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quarter window installation pop outs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Just to be clear on this sticky...the 1974 coupe does NOT have the upper chrome channel. I was in my garage until midnight tearing through boxes and sweating up in the crawlspace looking for 2 lost pieces of trim that never existed.

This may be true of 72-74.

Confirmed on this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2525687
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I noticed that there were a few images of the lower part of the chrome pillar but nothing about the top fitment or mention of it. Is there anything about it to look out for during the install?
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Does the upper aluminum moldings above the doors between the body and the aluminum molding get the rubber trim under them like the rear quarter window aluminum trim?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Does the upper aluminum moldings above the doors between the body and the aluminum molding get the rubber trim under them like the rear quarter window aluminum trim?

Thanks

They do not, the headliner is sandwiched between the channel and the body
Check this out, helped me
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439152
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks

Awesome thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Great advice on this thread by Rich. It took me 2 days to get mine done but it was worth every second - my Ghia is so much quieter with the pop-outs closed. I might even reinstall my radio.
sdebaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks

Here's another point of view, from my spring '09 copy of the House of Ghia catalog (which is a valuable reference for me).
"...But for speed on Karmann's version of an assembly line, a quick bead of silicone ' bathtub caulk' was used on the similar aluminum channel holding the main door seal. However, the craftsmen quickly realized the seal intended for the quarter window, also worked just dandy at covering up gaps/flaws in the door seal channel to roof junction. I estimate 30% of all KG's came with a seal in place of silicone caulking..."
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I have a few questions about these aluminium channels. My old ones are in ok condition but have glue on the bottom (which doesn't appear to be original) and putty on the top around each hole.

- what have people used to clean/polish these channels?

- do you need to glue the rubbers onto the bottom when you fit them?

- do you need to seal around the holes when you fit them?

- what fasterners do people use to install these?
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Not sure about cleaning the old substance off but I don’t think they need any sealing if the rubber channel to the body is in good condition as they are quite a snug fit. If you do glue them it will also make any position adjustments very difficult if needed. The aluminium channel is held down with very small cross head screws - I think they are the same as the aluminium side sill garnishes but not sure. I put a dab of cavity wax on each screw/hole before fitting just to stop any rusting where the screw thread contacts the body.

The actual window seal sits very tightly in the aluminium channel and don’t need gluing.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

The old "adhesive" is more than likely deteriorated old original rubber material..you can clean it off easily enough with lighter fluid or "Goo gone" (which doesn't work as good as it used to,think they changed the formula)

You can bring back the shine in the aluminum with some Mother's aluminum polish and some Never Dull, which is a soft cotton like cleaner in a can..
(Seems like i just plugged a few brands that I'm sure I'll never see a dime for Shocked)
An important tip I should give is wash the new rubber thoroughly with soap and water in a bucket before the install..this will get rid of the chalky white coating on all aftermarket rubbers that's a major pain in the ass to get off after,especially quarter window areas..
The fasteners are just regular sheet metal screws,with flat heads..the drive is up to you, slot,Phillips or Robertson..which is my preference because well..I am Canadian of course
Good luck
-Matt
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

So who has a good 1/4 window seal?
When I restored my Ghia back in 94 all the seals I could find were straight resulting in buckling where it bends. Does someone make a better one now?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
herndog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

does anyone know what size screw is used for the quarter window chrome molding and where I can get them? I cant seem to find them anywhere? thank you
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

herndog67 wrote:
does anyone know what size screw is used for the quarter window chrome molding and where I can get them? I cant seem to find them anywhere? thank you

I'm sure someone will know the exact size but I we t to the hardware store and bought something close then on a bench finder grinded the sides and top so to fit in the molding and to leave enough for the screwdriver to put them in.

Ive done this o two Ghias now and worked great. And now I can say, "it's custom" Smile
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
herndog67 wrote:

I'm sure someone will know the exact size but I we t to the hardware store and bought something close then on a bench finder grinded the sides and top so to fit in the molding and to leave enough for the screwdriver to put them in.

Ive done this o two Ghias now and worked great. And now I can say, "it's custom" Smile

If it is the self tapping screw holding the trim below the window then according to the parts book the part is a countersunk head 2.2 x 13 mm. Three each side are required. The same screw size is used to hold the aluminium channel in the frame and seven a side are required there. If its the ones going in the hinge pillar, then those are fillister head self tappers 2.9 x 13 mm and you need four per side.

Either that or I didn't understand the question.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
herndog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

thank you sputnick60 and mrfun2fly,very helpful
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What seals are these?
I’d like to replace mine as they are all bunched up in the curve.

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What seals are these?
I’d like to replace mine as they are all bunched up in the curve.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D143%2D321B%2DLR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I can find them listed in myriad places. When I rebuilt my Ghia I had a couple of different sets from different sellers and chose the ones less evil.
Call me cynical but I doubt the OP got them from CIP1.
I could be wrong but need some photographic evidence to convince me.

They’re out of stock anyway!

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I can find them listed in myriad places. When I rebuilt my Ghia I had a couple of different sets from different sellers and chose the ones less evil.
Call me cynical but I doubt the OP got them from CIP1.
I could be wrong but need some photographic evidence to convince me.

They’re out of stock anyway!

Check with KGPR then, they should have them. Now if you need some door seals I have a set.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

The ones I have now are from KGPR.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: