Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gipsy_Danger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread. I want to do this to my 74 beetle. Stock color is an off white, I was thinking pearl white. I think it would look great with gloss black wheels.

Just wondering if anyone else has done their old VW?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasti dipped my deck lid today to see what it would look like. I think it looks good. Keep in mind I did zero prep. All I did was spray it off with simple green and water.

Before:
Faded yellow paint and chrome script.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:
Flat white with flat black script.

I'm going to do the entire car in flat white with flat black moldings and emblems. I also have new cal look window rubber, new fender beading, and new signal/tail light gaskets that will be installed. Should look pretty good when done. It'll look better than the way it looks now and that's all I care about.
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Plasti dipped my deck lid today to see what it would look like. I think it looks good. Keep in mind I did zero prep. All I did was spray it off with simple green and water.

Before:
Faded yellow paint and chrome script.

After:
Flat white with flat black script.
[URL=http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/cali_army_guy32/media/45BF37A0-77DC-4117-B2B6-8B5625357481_zpsqtrybrif.jpg.html]
[/URL]

I'm going to do the entire car in flat white with flat black moldings and emblems. I also have new cal look window rubber, new fender beading, and new signal/tail light gaskets that will be installed. Should look pretty good when done. It'll look better than the way it looks now and that's all I care about.

Did you do this? Any pictures? How do you like it?

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

what i'd really like to see is the decklid after a year, how the rust is now and all.

saw the first video of dipyourcar last weekend and it looked almost too simple...
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

if you have the space and time to do it, I've seen some really good results. Its a bit pricey to me though. First off, the shipping is crazy coming to the islands. After that is prep and application. Found a place locally that would do it, started at 1200.00 bucks all the way up to 2500.00 depending upon color.

That's almost the same amount as actual paint applied. Confused

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

If you guys want any "Dip" info, please ask. I've been using it for years and have done complete cars with it. My 66 will be getting dipped in the spring.

All the cars and wheels here are dipped except the bug.

This will get done soon.... Just not 100% sure what color yet, nothing weird

The Wumbologist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

How well does this stuff hold up as a less than temporary finish? Is it possible to spray it once, and then "touch up" any damage later? Thinking about doing some light rust repair to my '71, then putting primer over the trouble spots, and doing the whole car.
Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

The Wumbologist wrote:
How well does this stuff hold up as a less than temporary finish? Is it possible to spray it once, and then "touch up" any damage later? Thinking about doing some light rust repair to my '71, then putting primer over the trouble spots, and doing the whole car.

It's very versatile. Once on, you can either peel the section you want to work on, or dissolve it with naphtha. When done, just wipe it down and respray. Any primer I would let completely dry. Don't use etching primer though.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

Drewmon wrote:

nothing weird ?? yeah plastidip is perfectly normal... Rolling Eyes

personally I dont see the point, wheels maybe but a whole car?? seems like a little more time and effort you could actually just paint it and be done with it rather than spend money on something that's just temporary...
Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
Drewmon wrote:

nothing weird ?? yeah plastidip is perfectly normal... Rolling Eyes

personally I dont see the point, wheels maybe but a whole car?? seems like a little more time and effort you could actually just paint it and be done with it rather than spend money on something that's just temporary...

Obviously it's not for everyone, but you may want to search a bit. It's a very real and upcoming process. Not just D.I.Y.

I do it because I like to change things up. If I truly find the perfect color, I'd paint at that point.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

I noticed in a FLAPS the other day that Rustoleum is now offering their own version of it.

Peel Coat

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/peel-coat/peel-coat

ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

I would really like to try this on my THING. I wold change the color to their camo or some other green. I also found a paint called MAJIC. Looks easy but not as easy as the dip.
The paint is used for tractors and they have a John Deer Green that looks cool and a camo green flat look.

I am trying to get up the nerve to do the THING ,,,just not there yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
I would really like to try this on my THING. I wold change the color to their camo or some other green. I also found a paint called MAJIC. Looks easy but not as easy as the dip.
The paint is used for tractors and they have a John Deer Green that looks cool and a camo green flat look.

I am trying to get up the nerve to do the THING ,,,just not there yet.

I guess it depends if you want a permanent paint job or not. Another option you may want to check out is hot rod flatz.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Hot-Rod-Flatz/?gclid=CM72haLy_tACFZE6gQodWXkNyw

They have an olive drab green that you may like and a bunch of other greens.
Campton Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

Anyone have any new pics or stories on this?

I've got a silver '76 standard, and I'm thinking about doing my hood/decklid in a nod to Dave Hord. I'd love to see pics to give me an idea of what that would look like, but any updates from people who have done it, or in this thread would also be great.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

I did the brighter green on my Eurovan about two years ago.

It does protect the paint from UV degradation & stone chips.
It's even a sacrificial layer when your neighbor gets too close.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Campton Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

That looks great! It's held up for 2 years??
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

Yes, the neon orange has faded pretty badly but the bright green has held in fairly well.

It's time to change it up but everyone smiles when I drive it & at least a dozen people take pictures of it every time I take it out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Reply with quote

I want to plastisip my bus. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about how to do it. It seems that you want the surface very clean, and very dry. What I haven’t figured out is what to do with the, I don’t know what it’s called, door jamb, door sill, basically when you open the door, the painted part of the body under the door, and the exterior part of the door up to the rubber. It seems like if you just plastidip the vehicle like the videos show (basically all doors closed and you go around the vehicle spraying), when you open a door you will see a big part of the old painted metal. So, yeah, I don’t know, I guess they just ignore that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: