Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Host for Kubel Treffen 2013
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Host for Kubel Treffen 2013 Reply with quote

I am looking for a host to put on next years show. This involves finding a hotel to let us use as well as their parking lot. Past shows has had about 55 cars and needed about 30 rooms. Location is open as well as time of year. It is not a good ideal to have a local VW club put it on as that means it is open to all VW's and then it becomes another VW show and not a Thing only event. I have the website, kubeltreffen181.com to use. Host would also find a Sat dinner location. A simple Sun drive about 50 miles works well. T shirts and trophy's works best from a local source. With moving the show around it gives owners that may not be able to attend because of distance at one show to attend one close by. Any ideas?

Update:
Photos start here in the thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard from OH and CA. What happen to the Texas group?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California??? Is it there not an East/West distinction anymore?? lol
Wish we could do it here in E.TN, but with my new work travel schedule, I can't commit to anything that far out!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had tossed around the idea of having this in Austin or Fredericksburg, but I just don't know if these would get us the turnout we want - they are sort of remote. Dallas or Ft Worth would have lots of hotel options - and may be more accessible for some 181 drivers - but not as scenic or as "German" as south Texas. I have not been to one of these Kubeltreffen and am not looking to take the lead on getting one organized, but would certainly help.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

another Texan coming back around after the initial flurry.

gotta agree with thatthing in that Fredericksburg would be optimal IMO. distance may be the killer. what better place, a small original German town for a German trek. It is fantastic with TX Classic every year and has great back road cruise "course".. location just may be the killer.

no offense to those north of S TX, not sure if Dallas is quite the scenic place. Yes, Big City with a ton to do. just not my cup of tea when i think of this type of event. Ft Worth does offer a little more with the downtown old Cowtown flavoring. not sure where to put a backwoods scenic cruise in the DFW area. and to make sure everyone knows I am not partial, I would not vote to have it here in Houston area just south of me. Just too large and not scenic enough IMO.

maybe E TX would have a spot like Tyler? for those in area. Little more scenic I believe and possibly good back roads cruise area through tall pines of E TX. that would possibly more central as well?

not sure of possible group from Arkansas.

The local folks use a hotel in Eureka Springs every year for their big show. never been. supposedly they cap at 300 cars. The town is a old Victorian style town with quaint shops and restaurants in scenic hills of Arkansas. maybe a more central spot? not sure of weather or best time of year. the big show is held every August. there are a lot of other shows that roll through from what I understand.

should we gather suggested locations and toss out a poll?

never been so just tossing ideas

hopefully i did not offend any on location comments above. if so, please accept my apology
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep me posted on California as I am in So Cal and can help.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 63ziggy - let's collect ideas for locations and take a poll. So far Ron Domeck has heard from CA and OH (any specific locations there?) and we have a vote for east Tennessee (Chattanooga or Knoxville maybe?) and I will withdraw my suggestion for Dallas and go back to Fredericksburg ('cause it's just so cool and has beautiful drives!). Let's hear some more suggestions or comments!
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Kubel treffen Reply with quote

I live in Bristol VA. We would be a beautiful location. I would be willing to help the other guys in ETenn and SW VA pull it off here. Tom
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA is too far for me to be there. Nothing wrong with having more that one event per year, maybe east/west. Keep in mine that these shows don't make money so the bigger areas that want deposits and lock in the amount of hotel rooms. Eureka Springs is great and the show is great but again this is a show with history and the hotel fills up 6 months in advance. What I am looking at with some help is the area is Dayton OH. I am good to travel 800-1000 miles away, again this is for the love of these cars. When I set something up with a hotel I put my charge card on the line until they have the rooms booked.
Good Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Dallas metro area. I have not talked to my fellow Dallasites, but I am willing to help out if we can find a spot that is near here so I can help with logistics. I had a thought that I was going to run by the interested parties. There is a small town 75 miles southwest of the Dallas metro. It is called Glen Rose, TX. I have held a coprorate meeting there and although it is small, there would be enough rooms. What made me think of it was the afternoon drive. There is a 1700 acre wild game preserve where you drive the 9 1/2 miles and see/feed the animals. The drive can take about 4 hours with stopping to see the critters. I am including the web site for others to look at and comment.
http://www.fossilrim.org/
You will not hurt my feelings if I get 25 thumbs down. Since I don't know the interests of the group, other than cars, I am not sure whether this would have any appeal.
In the actual DFW area there are many sites to see, but I am not sure what would interest people for a drive. Fredericksburg and Austin are nice towns, but they are quite a ways from Dallas and I wouldn't be much help with logistics since I don't know that area.
blsthng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: KTE 2013 Reply with quote

Ron I have sent a PM to you
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a little sad that there doesn't appear to be much interest in a Kubeltreffen...don't we all share a passion for the same automobile ?

There must be at least a dozen of us in Texas-maybe more.

I'm willing to travel at least 300 miles to go to a Kubeltreffen, so let's hear from more of you!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know time sneaks up quickly. At least there is any where from 6mths plus to see if can get it together.

here is a low tech picture of the registry map. We know there are others out there that may not be registered.

finding a common central point is the tough spot without hurting or insulting folks. if you took a look at Thing density, then possibly Ark or Tenn like Memphis. I know that pretty much blocks out west coast and ne coast. We need a list of suggested locations then take a poll to narrow it down. then folks can decide if they can make the trek.

prior suggestion of Fredericksburg which is 70 miles west of Austin - here are mile references.

some mileage and drive modern speeds for those interested

Dallas - 260, 5hrs
Houston - 238, 4.5 hrs
Little Rock AR - 574, 10hr
Memphis, TN - 717 12 hr
Nashville, TN - 928, 15.5hr

other mileage looks from Memphis, TN (i know still long ways for West Coast Thingers

Dallas - 450
Atlanta - 384
Nashville - 220
Little Rock - 150

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Red Love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I would like to see it in Texas, and Fredricksburg is a great location. Thats about a five hour trip for me. (Which ain't nothin in The Lone Star State) I know nothing about planning one of these events, as last April was the first show we had attended, for the VW classic. Ladybird Johnson Park was a great location. Camping available, hotels abundant, beautiful scenery, wonderful resturants, friendly people, shopping galore, and my favorite part- German beer gardens on the main drag. For the drive I hear Luckenbach Texas is a nice easy drive from town and a good photo op. Not sure the route of this April's drive but I heard it was a nice trip also.
October was a great month this year with several perfect weekends for an event like this. I would love an excuse to go to Fredricksburg twice a year. Especially because this coming year I hope to be able to participate in the '73.
I would be willing and able to do some of the legwork, but like I said, I really dont know what goes into these events to make them a success.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have host to have the show in Dover Delaware, which would put it back to the east were this all started. I also have host to have this in Dayton Ohio. We could have 2 shows in one year. Maybe a show and a drive?
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel treffen Reply with quote

tmitoraj wrote:
I live in Bristol VA. We would be a beautiful location. I would be willing to help the other guys in ETenn and SW VA pull it off here. Tom

Second!!! Blue Ridge Parkway!!
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristol is a little far from the Blue Ridge Parkway but there would be some exciting rides around here. If you guys want to come this way and I can get some help we would be a great place.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dover DE is not that far for me. Would probably be able to offer help if needed.
Ken
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice driving area's are great but to put on a show we need a good hotel with a parking lot to have a show field, trailer parking, grass areas by the cars for ez ups. vendors areas, tent area for check in, door prizes, t-shirt sales, trophy awards, etc.
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delaware would be awesome! We could do a short trip to the beach !!! That's perfect for Things!!

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: