Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Major props to you, I know firsthand how hard that is to do.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Here is a pict of the setup I am now working with to polish glass. I found diamond stone polisher disc in various grits and sizes. Today I worked with a 6 inch 400 grit disc. Within an hour I was able to remove almost all of the scratches that covered almost the entire surface of my other door glass. Sadly I forgot to tape off the Sekruit marking and buffed it off Evil or Very Mad . Some scratches were pretty deep and I ran out of time so I will get back at it soon. I discovered that the 400 grit on the high speed drill left almost no haze so the final polish should not be too hard. I wont bother with a DA again as the high speed drill if MUCH faster and easier. The black marks are on the back side so I know where the scratches are when the water is flowing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Headlight assemblies rechromed and powdercoated.

I had a very rough gas cap sitting around so I opened it up, removed the dents. I started with a fine file, then 800 sandpaper and finally a polish wheel. I also sealed the vent hole so fumes should all pass through my custom outside vent.

Next I turned to my re-chromed and polished parts for the rear view mirror. I still need to do the final prep on the visors and that will be another project done. The mirror glass is new.

The final project for the evening was to put some contacts in the front turn signal housings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Get thee a quality variable speed rotory buffer. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/7-in-Polisher...oCY0fw_wcB
Anyone who has a vintage car should have one as one of their 1st purchases. 10x better than a drill.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Awesome work Dwayne! Its getting close!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Here is a pict of the setup I am now working with to polish glass. I found diamond stone polisher disc in various grits and sizes. Today I worked with a 6 inch 400 grit disc. Within an hour I was able to remove almost all of the scratches that covered almost the entire surface of my other door glass. Sadly I forgot to tape off the Sekruit marking and buffed it off Evil or Very Mad . Some scratches were pretty deep and I ran out of time so I will get back at it soon. I discovered that the 400 grit on the high speed drill left almost no haze so the final polish should not be too hard. I wont bother with a DA again as the high speed drill if MUCH faster and easier. The black marks are on the back side so I know where the scratches are when the water is flowing.

I was going to ask how you polished the windows, thanks. Where abouts do you get the polishing pads from??

Rest of it is Looking great!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The polishing pads are for stone such as granite and I purchased them off of Amazon. The one I'm using the most right now is 400 grit
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I had the base re-chromed and I straightened and polished the mirror back. I used a belt sander to shape the mirror glass to fit. I used some half round plastic rod to simulate the white retainer of the original Albert Mirror.
I am letting the plastic settle then I will use a silicone adhesive to secure it.
Another project down.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

That came out really nice. So many nice subtle improvements from "stock" on your build.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

A few more items checked off the list.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Fantastic shine on the chrome.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Chrome was a disaster. Multiple pieces I'm gonna have to take to another chrome shop and have them re chromed. They ruined several pieces. These parts I spent hours buffing myself. Now I know where not to go for chrome polishing in the future. One must press on and keep on trucking Smile
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

DJ, I'm surprised you have amber turn signal lenses.

I did not think they were original on a US 58 lowlight.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

WooleyNelson wrote:
DJ, I'm surprised you have amber turn signal lenses.

I did not think they were original on a US 58 lowlight.

They were not
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Well the electrical is completed and after tracking down many gremlins I was able to locate the final main issue. With the electronic flasher relay the indicator light in the speedometer needed to be isolated from any outside power or ground. I ran off of the flasher power out, through the bulb, then back to the ground side of the flasher and it all works. Even the wiper pump works off the high/low switch in the turn signal switch.
I decided to try led bulbs for the rear running lights. After looking at photos of many rear lenses and the apparent problems with heat I thought I would go with the led to maintain the lumens but reduce heat.

I also replaced the 59 headlight fuse assembly with a 60 unit to be able to have the low beams be fused also.

I spent another couple of hours trying to get to the bottom of the glass scratches. I acquired silica carbide sanding disc from a stone polishing supply as they were to only place I could find small quantities. I purchased 400 and 600 but if I get more I will go down to 200 for the deep scratches. I am now at the point I will attempt to clear the haze. Time will tell.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Looking very good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:

This shot really brings out the color with the contrast of chrome and ivory.
Nice work on everything.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I really like this car. Also I'm inspired by the glass polishing enough to attempt it on my glass. I have the scratched up original glass which I'll try fix whilst preserving the Sekurit markings but then I have the reproduction glass with ugly "Capital" markings that I'll try an remove. Thanks for showing me how!

Nicholas
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

You're still 6v, correct? If so can you share some details on the LED bulbs, like who makes them, sells them, and if they are plug-n-play or require mods to the housing to accept them? I'd be interested in getting brighter driving/brake lights on my '58.

You're doing a fantastic job bringing this car back.

djway3474 wrote:
I decided to try led bulbs for the rear running lights. After looking at photos of many rear lenses and the apparent problems with heat I thought I would go with the led to maintain the lumens but reduce heat.

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

12v
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
12v

Oh well, thanks. I recall seeing your refreshed 36'er in this thread but missed you having either a Porsche or re-wound generator on it.

You piqued my curiosity with the LED's, so I worked the Google on the internet machine and now I'm curious to see if the 6v, 100* beam angle version of the bulb below would be any improvement in brightness for turn/brake lights. I don't see a 6v compatible LED that would clear the lens for the driving light though.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehic...ifications

Sorry for the hijack.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: