Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rich's 62 ghia build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Looking good Rich, love the ghia and background photos....look sensational! Glad to see the car out and about, enjoy the drives mate:)
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Rich62ghia wrote:

Bought myself a fire extinguisher for some peace of mind, for now its in the box behind the front seat, but where does everyone usually mount these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was away sailing the high seas when you posted those beautiful pictures Rich...Ghia looks great. You'll never tire of driving it or looking at it in beautiful surroundings...the two go together perfectly.

I keep my fire extinguisher exactly where you have it...cut the side off the box for easy access and it won't roll around. It's a good location because you can pull the decklid release and grab the extinguiser in one move, in the unlikely event.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Thanks Karly, and good point Bhartwell59

Srecko wrote:
Looking good Rich, love the ghia and background photos....look sensational! Glad to see the car out and about, enjoy the drives mate:)

Thanks Sash, I am mate, loving it

John Moxon wrote:

I was away sailing the high seas when you posted those beautiful pictures Rich...Ghia looks great. You'll never tire of driving it or looking at it in beautiful surroundings...the two go together perfectly.

I keep my fire extinguisher exactly where you have it...cut the side off the box for easy access and it won't roll around. It's a good location because you can pull the decklid release and grab the extinguiser in one move, in the unlikely event.

Jeez you must have good reception out there John, thanks, and good idea about the box. Like Karly I don't think I can bring myself to mount the bracket in the front , so in the box behind the seat is where it will stay. Now that the KG is finished, I'm going to look at investing in a good camera.

Went for another drive north this weekend and got a spot in the car park at Bald Hill, Stanwell park, looking south towards Wollongong. Spoke to a few people when I stopped and most knew what it was. I am starting to get used to the amount of attention it gets

For the aero buffs, particularly in Australia, this is where Sir Lawrence Hargrave lived and tested his aerofoils and kites. The photo on the previous page at Gerroa is in front of Seven Mile beach where Sir Kingsford Smith, took off for the first commercial flight across the Tasman to New Zealand.

paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

That is the perfect colour for a ghia, stunning!
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, I agree, I think it highlights the ghias curves, especially in the afternoon sun.

Well I finally got the gearbox fixed and oh man what a difference. I was so excited to have it back I just about pulled an all nighter the week before last to get it back in and drive it the next day. Going to the 3.88 R&P was a good choice it now cruises in freeway traffic so nicely now, so the box dramas were probably a blessing in disguise.

I have spent the last week jetting and tuning the carbs and getting the throttle linkages working as good as I can. It is such a pleasure to drive its been hard to think about anything else this past week.

Last weekend the ghia had its first official outing at the Berry “Blast from the Past”, about an hour south from where we live. Its a VW display organised by the Shoalhaven VW club and coincides with the local monthly market day. There is only one trophy on the day, which is a peoples choice, and very surprisingly the Karmann won. I say surprisingly because there were a lot of beautiful cars there, so its nice to be considered in that league

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Just a beautiful car Rich. awesome inspiration for me on my car.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Hi Rich,
I often parked in that same spot at Stanwell Park in preparation to jump off the cliff in my Hang Glider. I might have to start Paragliding soon because one of those can fit in my Ghia whereas a Hang Glider won't.

Your car looks great! I hope you are bringing it to the Nationals on the 21st May?

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Congrats Rich, well deserved mate.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, Now that the gear box is fixed I am really enjoying the car. Its great to be driving an ACVW again, and I am really happy with the engine combo I have. If it didnt draw so much attention it would be my DD. I have noticed when driving, that there are alot of people who dont want to be behind an old car, even though the engine I have allows me to beat 90% of cars on the road, they will still go over the speed limit just to get in front of me Confused .

sputnick60 wrote:

I often parked in that same spot at Stanwell Park in preparation to jump off the cliff in my Hang Glider. I might have to start Paragliding soon because one of those can fit in my Ghia whereas a Hang Glider won't.

That would be an awsome sight Nicholas, you pulling up in your convertable, putting on the para gliding gear, then running down the hill and jumping of the cliff, very cool. I havent done either but it looks more apealling to me than sky diving. My wife has done it here, went for about an hour flight then landed on the beach.
sputnick60 wrote:

Your car looks great! I hope you are bringing it to the Nationals on the 21st May?

Yes, I will be bringing it to the Nationals, have already bought my ticket, so will see you then.

Rich
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Hi Rich, I saw your KG at the nationals on Sunday - good inspiration for the resto of my 62 and I took a few photos to confirm a few details on mine for later - very nicely done.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel, shame I missed you, hopefully next time. This was the second time I have showed the car and having it at the Nationals fulfilled another dream, great day
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: