Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rich's 62 ghia build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have been reading TS for a couple of months now after restarting the restoration on my 62 coupe. I am new to the whole social media thing and have been so impressed with the knowledge here, hoping to learn alot, and contribute where I can. After seeing some great build posts thought I might add my own.

My ghia was originally owned by a local doctor who drove it for a number of years before giving it to his son. Apparrently the son parked it on a hill where the brake failed and ended up crashing the front end. The car was written off by the insurance company and sold to a scrap yard. The PO bought it from the scrap yard in 1977, with the intention of a custom rebuild. However along came kids and after taking the body off the pan and respraying the body, it sat in his garage until 1997 when I came along and managed to convince him to sell it to me. At the time I told him it would only take me about 6 months to get it finished, how I was wrong. I started by finishing rust repairs on the pan and striping the body of bog(bondo) trying my hand at lead wiping. I managed to get the pan sprayed, under body sprayed and started prepping the top when lifes priorities changed(marriage, kids etc). This was 2003 and the ghia remained untouched until last year when I could wait no longer. Hoping that after 35years off the road she will soon be driving . Here are some pics so far
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Leaving for the paint shop

Rewiring the front

Headliner in

After an expensive trip to the rechromers, chhrome can go back on as well as the windows

Parcel shelf and rear window in

Dash in as well as the gauges and glove box

Just had the rear view mirror refurbished. Fitted it this week with TMI visors. long term I will be looking at getting my originals recovered as you can see they dont contour to the roof like the originals
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car here!!!
Congrats for your passion and good job done! I'm sure you'll enjoy every trip with her!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fraternity, what kept you. A lurker converted to a poster is like another soul saved. Wink

Looks like another fine Aussie restoration.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments disc, and thanks for the welcome John, If it ends up being half as good as yours I will be happy.

By the way if anyone is attempting to install a new headliner and is also installing a sound deadener like dynamat or other sound mat with a logo on it, remember to paint it white first. After I installed my headliner I could see the silhouettes of the dynamat logo all over the roof. Even though it took me a couple of hours to get it in I wouldnt of been happy leaving it the way it was, so I ended up pulling it back out, painting the mats white and reinstalling, looks a hell of alot better.
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
talk about your 35 year Sleeping Beauty...
looks great! ...more pics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great I look to all you guys and your projects for inspiration to keep me moving forward
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after reading, re-reading, putting it off, I finally got stuck into the window rubber installation. Because I am working from the position of the PO having removed all the window rubbers before I got the car I have posted up a heap of phtotos which may help others who are about to undertake this task. Hopefully I wont be leading anyone astray. I started with the left hand side of the car, after adjusting the doors and windows as as per the window install sticky, whilst an excellent post my 62 window sits alot further in than sugested since it couldnt be adjusted outward any further, I looked to make the aluminium channel and rubber fit where the window was

Not all the existing holes lined up with the new channel but I managed to locate a few for a trial fit
Had to drill some new holes to secure the rest of the channel. Installed the rubber and wound up the window, the window sat way to far in

I had to leave the channel in situ at the top where it was OK and try to bend the channel inwards in the corner where the a pillar meets the roof. This also required more new holes to be drilled to suit the slots in the channel
Also used an extra washer to further pack the window out , in the end I only needed one in the top front corner of the window lifter channel

After all that looking good. Had to check the fit rolling the window up and then opening the door and closing the door with the window in the up position

Next was the right hand side door and this time I had the original channel lthat came in the box of pieces from the PO. You can see how the bend in the channel where the roof meets the A pillar is in a different spot to the reproduction. I thought the OG would be more correct so I bent the repro to th esame shape as the original

This was the fit first try with the rubber much better, still needed some minor tweekingto the window alignment but no further bending of the channel

I did have to ed up changing the window rubbers. The original ones I got in a kit were west coast metric, they are on the right, they are way to hard were difficult to get a good seal without applying alot of force to the winow crank. Ones on the left are KGPR much softer and forms better to the glass
Started the quarter windows. Most of the original holes lined up with the new channel

Had to cut the lower channel at an angle to fit into the top channel in the corner. Did a cautious cut then finished with a file

Trial fit with the glass, shows he channel still needs to be moved in at some points

Tried to get the rubbers as snug against each other as possible to prevent water leaks

Pillar ruber and window rubber cut and in position. amd getting a bit of a gap with the pillar rubber . Its another WCM rubber so I might try a different one before I glue the top and pillar seal in th corner

Left side finished

On the right side the lower channel also needed trimming near the pillar

On this side I left some excess rubber at the end of the channel to help fill the gap under the pillar

After adjusting the height of the scews so that the trim is not to tight against the body I used a block of wood to hammer her home

Hinge rubber on

Hinge rubber is very tight in the repro pillars, but I did manage to get them in after spraying every thing with WD40

Right side finished
All up I reckon they took about 50hrs but the extra time spent in getting a ood seal will hopefully mean less wind noise, if I am ever crising with the windows up at speed

1977 rego sticker the last time it was on the road, cant bring myself yet to scrap it off. Am hoping I can regester it with it still on. Its now a bit of history in itself.
hatchethairy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your quarter window install needs to be added to the sticky post about removing them or a new one on it's own. Great job with the pics and descriptions. I'm about to tackle this myself on a car that had them removed before I purchased it, and this will help considerably.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4948169
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that one or this one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439152

I just went through this whole process and got hung up on the measurements being off.

Well done!

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rectangle whitish plastic piece on the rear luggage area is to go between the radio block off plate and dash.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement I'll look to get the photos in the stickys, Probably doesnt cover al the steps or problems you tend to encounter but the more info and photos we get in the stickys the more help to others

Quote:

Eric&Barb Posted: Yesterday 4:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That rectangle whitish plastic piece on the rear luggage area is to go between the radio block off plate and dash.

Thanks for the tip, I found it in my box of bits after I had installed the blanking plate in the dash, Its a bit scratched up and I havent seen any repro's so its been sitting in the back as a reminder to clean it up and install, on my long to do list

Richard
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a while since my last update, and progress has not been a bit slower than I would like. I finally got my gear box back from the local VW shop, they did a great job considering it took them 3 go's to get hold of a decent box to rebuild. I had it rebuilt with a 4.125 super diff and 0.89 fourth, not looking to do to much freeway driving so im thinking the final ratios should suit the 1916 engle 130 cam motor that I will be installing

Gear box in

I also got my window washer working. I was'nt keen on puting in an electric pump with a button under the dash so I opted to try and get the original pnematic type working, bought the switch, and knobs from KGPR, I also got a 1964 model tank that fits into the recess in the front boot. I preferred this to the original which hangs off the spare tyre.

Original on the left 1964 version on right

Need to sand and clean for a good contact with the switch

Knobs and button in

After finishing the install tried to pump up the bottle for a test run but the valve was all gummed up, so ended up reconditioning it

Soaked the valve in vinegar for about half an hour to de-calcify

Now the hard bit

The jewellery screw driver set finally comes in handy

Re installed the tank and pumped it up. No shortage of vollunteers to test the washer out. Just need to now get a regulator and spare tyre connection piece

Also completed the check rod install

And started painting all the interior plastic since they seem to come in 10 shades of ivory
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky enough to have Trimtec (Kevin Ferguson "the Aussie trimmer") do my interior trim recently. Kevin did the door cards, retrimmed my original sunvisors, seat covers and trunk liner, he is also doing my carpet kit. The quality of this stuff and attention to detail is unreal. Its hard to see in the photos but the white on the door cards are actually a waffle pattern material and the welded seams are perfect. I so far have only had time to get the doors cards on, but am hopefully going to be retrimming the seats shortly. Since the car is painted silver, instead of the usual red interior I decided to go a dark sort of Navy Blue and white. I think it suits the sort of resto-custom look Im going for.

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Very Happy Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread! Perfect timing as I am also in the process of installing window rubbers. I can relate to your Ghia fascination at an early age. I too first saw one when a schoolmate was dropped off when I was in elementary school. The image was etched in my mind and the reason why it's now my almost completed project, the second in my bucket list of cars to restore.

BTW, as an aside, I noticed your location which brought back memories as I had the good fortune of visiting Wollongong. Enjoyed my stay at the Novotel in North Beach..... now back to the thread Smile ........

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich62ghia wrote:
I also got my window washer working. I was'nt keen on puting in an electric pump with a button under the dash so I opted to try and get the original pnematic type working, bought the switch, and knobs from KGPR, I also got a 1964 model tank that fits into the recess in the front boot. I preferred this to the original which hangs off the spare tyre.

Re installed the tank and pumped it up. No shortage of vollunteers to test the washer out. Just need to now get a regulator and spare tyre connection piece

I remember when I was a young boy, my older brother's first car was a 1968 Opel Kadet.
The windshield washer on that model was "powered" by a small bellows pump on the floor next to the foot-operated headlight dimmer switch. (Remember when cars had the headlight dimmer switch on the floor?)

I remember sitting in that car in the garage and stomping on the washer bellows so hard that the washer fluid would shoot clear over the roof of the car on more than one occasion. Laughing

( Embarassed What can I say - I grew up in a rural area before the days of cable TV, internet, video games and social media. We took our entertainment however we could find it.)

Your Ghia looks amazing, BTW! Congrats on a job very well done so far.
While I am a HUGE fan of the classic German silver on red color scheme, I must say that your blue and white interior looks great with the silver, and is a nice change from the expected red or black.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the blue and white with silver as well; looks modern and classic at the same time to me for some reason. I went though my washer system as well, replacing the hoses and connectors. All was well, except that the nozzle would not stop dribbling. I reversed the in and out lines on the dash switch thinking that it would work better in one direction than the other, but it still leaked. I guess the valve in the switch is just worn out...

Paul
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
I like the blue and white with silver as well; looks modern and classic at the same time to me for some reason. I went though my washer system as well, replacing the hoses and connectors. All was well, except that the nozzle would not stop dribbling. I reversed the in and out lines on the dash switch thinking that it would work better in one direction than the other, but it still leaked. I guess the valve in the switch is just worn out...

Paul

I've heard that the doctor can administer a shot or two that will cure that right up.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Altema wrote:

Paul

I've heard that the doctor can administer a shot or two that will cure that right up.

Trying to be a U2 chase car in a Ghia on an aircraft carrier will cure it too!
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on colour guys it will be interesting to see how it turns out when the whole interior is in.

O2COOLED wrote:
BTW, as an aside, I noticed your location which brought back memories as I had the good fortune of visiting Wollongong. Enjoyed my stay at the Novotel in North Beach

Im not to far from North Beach, and Im glad you enjoyed your stay O2COOLED. Thats the great thing about a forum such as this, it can make the world seem like a much smaller place, especially if you have been fortunate enough to travel, Or can use google earth and street view Very Happy

KGCoupe wrote:
I remember sitting in that car in the garage and stomping on the washer bellows so hard that the washer fluid would shoot clear over the roof of the car on more than one occasion.

Yeah I pumped up the washer bottle to about 20psi and the kids took turns at squirting the windscreen until it was out of air, great to see something other than a video game exite them so much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: