Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes Pulling to left - problem solved!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilscho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Brakes Pulling to left - problem solved! Reply with quote

My 63 EZ failed the annual test because of unbalance front brakes - 53% difference, in order to pass it needs to be withing 25% in the UK. The guys at the garage were great in that they allowed be to return as often as I liked to run it on their rollers.

First thing I did was take the wheel cylinders apart on the right hand side and cleaned them out - some crud was there but they didn't seem that sticky to me, back to test - 47% difference so little change. Decided it must be the flexi hoses, no bulging so thought maybe they were delaminating on the right hand side - so changed them, also blew out the lines with compressed air and re cleaned the wheel cylinders on the right hand side - back to test - 47%!

Woke up at 2am - what if there was not a problem on the right hand side, what if the left was working too hard? Unlikely but by now running out of ideas.

Took the left had drum off and found the problem - but not sure why it occured.

The drum itself was fine, no scoring, but the linings at each end about 2 inches in, felt like rough sandpaper, that is both linings at the end of each. So face mask on I rubbed them down with 80 grit followed by 120 grit and back to the rolling road. Difference now reading 5% which according to the garage was the best result of all cars tested that week.

So I guess the learning for me was the problem is not always in the most obvious place, Sherlock Holmes quote: 'when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'.

Great to be back on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job getting it fixed!

Have had same problem and turned out slight cylinder leak was making shoes more sticky on the side that was pulling.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man,i'm sure glad that we in the states,do not have to pass these stringent MOT standards...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: