Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74...ish Dune Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Damn, that sux. Sad

BTW: Where did you say you're moving to again? I'm in MT, so I don't know how close you'll be to me, but I have an extra engine (from my T3) you can use until you get yours rebuilt. I've already got it converted over to upright cooling like a bug engine. It's got a crack between the seats (common problem) and plug thread repair inserts on the one head I pulled off so far. However, it was still running and driving decently when I pulled it from the car. I have a new set of Grant standard sized rings for the pistons while I had it apart to inspect everything, but they're not installed yet.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I'm moving to Colorado and the Buggy is getting sent down there in a couple weeks. Right now, I think the best solution is just to wrap up what I have for wiring and throw in the towel on the engine. It'll still be there in a year... I guess. Confused

I like to build stuff...
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

My dad lives in Pueblo, CO and it's a 13 hour drive from SW Montana to there. Figure about 11 hours from here to the Denver area. The offer still stands if you want to get it running with the T3 while you build up your engine.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Ben, next year, Moab in late June. I will be there with a lot of others for some mild to extreme off roading for about 1 week.

A target date to have ready for, and not that far from you.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Ben, next year, Moab in late June. I will be there with a lot of others for some mild to extreme off roading for about 1 week.

A target date to have ready for, and not that far from you.

Agreed. I saw that thread on Manx Club and got all excited when it first came about. We'll see what happens. Things are set for where my vehicles will be but it's unsure for how long or if I'd be able to work on them. I highly doubt it'll be a situation when I'd be able to really build something nice. I'm sure it'll turn into a last minute dash to get something together... like it usually is for me.

GoMopar, we should keep in contact, eh? I might take you up on that offer.

I like to build stuff...
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

No problem. I figure you'll have you plate full with the move stuff for a while. Just give me a shout whenever you get ready to dive back into the buggy project.
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks, dude. I'l keep you in mind.

Had another disappointing day. My plans were to wrap up taillight housings and the little bits of wiring left. Kept blowing fuses with everything together that was the result of a combination of a bad taillight bulb holder (new from J-Bugs) and a front turn signal bulb holder that was back feeding into itself (also new but from O'Reilly). I think what I need to do in the front is to find a smaller solution to the front indicators/parking lights. For now, the wires got taped and tucked inside the empty light housings. As for the rear, both taillight bulb holders are getting returned. Same as the front, the wires got taped and tucked inside the housings.

Planning for the big move, the rest of the parts were sealed in bags and boxed up. New engine parts were packaged with a light coating of oil. I finished up the remainder of the odds and ends that the rear bumper needed along with extending the wiper arms. The seats have finally been bolted in too.

Next Tuesday it'll get loaded on a trailer with my Jeep Comanche and Cherokee. Then... Crying or Very sad ... then it'll sit for a while again.

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Well folks, that's it for now. Had I had my ducks in a row a little better and had more ambition when it counted, then I probably would be driving it onto a trailer this week instead of pulling it. There'll be minimal wiring to do along with whatever happens with an engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... until next time, little guy.

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

The buggy... and I guess myself... live in Colorado now! Very Happy

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hello, gang! This little guy got pulled out of the shed for a well deserved cleaning today. It made the trip west just fine a few months ago but at the expense of getting a thick plastering of bug guts over everything. Still no engine, and there probably won't be for a while. Not sure if Moab will happen or not.

Very happy to see this today. Very Happy Kind of like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a while!

Sleep tight, you two.

I like to build stuff...
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Congrats on the move! Glad to see you (and everything else) seem to have made it in one piece.
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks! Things are going really well in Colorado. Been working at an offroad fabrication shop building all sorts of crazy rigs. It's been great! Not much time for my own stuff though. No shop of my own is tough too. Soon enough... hopefully. Sure makes me appreciate having access to a real tube bender and all the other fun shop tools compared to the bare bones I'm used to in the past. Laughing

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Dang... two years since the last update? Kinda wish this was a productive update, but it isn’t. Rolling Eyes After moving to Colorado this little car sat. It got pulled out once to wash all the bugs off from being first on the trailer during the big move west, it got the cover pulled off of it a few times, but most of all it just sat. While I don’t have an indoor parking spot for it, I miss seeing all my stuff in one place of my own and my relatives have been more than gracious in letting me leave everything in their shed. Since buying and renovating my house I've been slowly trying get going on my workshop build. Fingers crossed for this year, but its been the funding that's been tight after starting with an old house that was down to bare studs.

The buggy got moved a few weeks ago. I don't have an indoor place to put it, but it's nice to see it everyday.

I live up in a little mountain town about 50 miles away from my relative's place.

Like most properties in the area, mine is on a hill. Glad the brakes were finished before I left my old shop! This was the closest thing to driving it I've ever done. It was in reverse, but still. I got it down the hill where my future shop will be and pulled it back with my Jeep.

Sleep tight, little buddy. Sorry to keep waking you up only to move from storage to storage. While I had it on the trailer I was thinking about what direction this should go next. My original plan was to plug in a stockish engine to keep things simple. With the altitude I'm at, I just don't see being happy with the performance. So now what? I'm now thinking maybe a 2.0 VW ABA?... and then where to hide a radiator?... and then add a bunch more wiring?... I definitely don't want to deal with a carb. Anyhow, things to think about now. Also can't help but think about just selling it. Sad I mean, I've got a '75 CJ5 as a daily driver and I can take the top off if I want an open air vehicle. The Jeep is definitely more practical... pretty much just a buggy with four wheel drive. I dunno... stay tuned?

I like to build stuff...

Last edited by neohic on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hang in there, it will come together one day!
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Any updates on this project? I’m working on a Linton Spoiler too. Your work is inspiring!
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Embarassed I sold it. February of last year I was considering selling it with plans of putting the money into starting construction on my new shop. I put what I thought was a high price... the ad sat... then sat some more... then I almost forgot about it and just like that it sold. Oddly enough it sold on my birthday. Just a few weeks later I heard back from the buyer saying again how happy he was! I was so close to the finish line that all it needed was an engine and so little wiring. I’m glad everything worked out from him and also that I never really had “that moment” with it. Can’t say that I’m happy I sold it but it made a good dent in getting my shop started.

https://comancheclub.com/topic/59185-garage-mahal-30/

... and I’ve been dreading someone pulling up this thread. While I’m not happy about the update, I am looking forward to future projects. This little buggy was an awesome stepping stone. I still hang around here... don’t say much these days. Stay tuned if you’re patient though! I’ll build something cool one of these days.

I like to build stuff...
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Sorry to see that you sold it but I get it. I would have loved to see it finished. I’m digging the new garage! I just built a 20x25 garage on my property. I look forward to your next vw project. Stay well.
jherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I am the new owner of this buggy. Just purchased it from a gentleman in Northern Colorado. In the process of doing some research, found this link featuring the build. How cool is that. This buggy now lives in Loveland, Colorado. Doing a couple of things, but she looks just about the same as when you sold her. Doing some work on the engine and clutch right now and sorting out some wiring issues. I will be able to post some pictures here soon. Just wanted to let you know where she ended up.
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '74...ish Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Neat! Very Happy

I like to build stuff...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: