Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to get all pendantic on you. Wink
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, pedantic, even...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinner wins the Internet! Applause Very Happy

(that was a typo, smartass)
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Sorry Bob, didn't mean to get all pendantic on you. Wink

No worries, it's all good. Very Happy At least the poster got the info he was looking for, and that's all that counts. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then I got what I deserved when Greg called out my f-up. That's what friends are for!
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Birth certificate from Stiftung automuseum Reply with quote

They have upgraded the looks and it looks very official now, holograms and all (couldn't scan it, shows as black in pic).

Takes about forever to arrive and the museum said that they've a queue longer than 8 months now, 2 months more than when I ordered mine, in 2014.

But IMHO worth the wait, see yourself:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/vin_cert.png

Funny thing is that I think there's not a single item left in original colours (except interior?) so I'd say the chassis have been swapped at some point.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your car has probably just been painted. I see what looks like the color Bermuda in your photos on the underside of the engine lid, engine bay surround, panel below the back seat, etc. Bermuda is a very light blue, almost white.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a Bermuda/Cobalt '65. Same colors as listed on your certificate, including the interior color, Marine (which your car still has).
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello t3g!

I know, first thing after I got the paper on my hands, I googled the colour combination and it didn't look at all the same I have now. Doesn't matter much as current paint (outside) is a brush job, it needs a repaint anyway.

Certificate doesn't identify the engine either, I only know it has period correct engine (dual carburetors and correct fuel pump).

If someone has painted it, it has been a careful job as it's all dark blue from inside too.

Under the seats, behind interior panels and everywhere, places normally painted only in full body off restoration which this car hasn't had (AFAIK, history of the car is basically lost) or has been badly negleted after that.

Colour doesn't matter much, I'll have to get it moving first. Engine idles nicely and revvs nicely, but can't keep high revs (dies) and chokes/dies when you lift the clutch. Feels like fuel delivery problem.

That translates to clogged fuel pipe (new filters all around and fuel pump filters cleaned) as there was rust & grime in the fuel tank when I cleaned it, but I wasn't bright enough to clean the fuel pipe too and now it's probably full of dust & rust.

Only problem is that there're too many vehicles under repairs, none of them is progressing fast ... even the bus needs some brake work before summer so only one which actually is drivable, is the 412.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make your type 34 ugly for less than $1300 dollars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1765913

Rare nonetheless!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things are rare for a reason.
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see those things become the most unspeakably rare and unheard of accessory EVER for both the Type 14 and 34. Starting today.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
How to make your type 34 ugly for less than $1300 dollars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1765913

Rare nonetheless!

It gives something like an Italian fragrance to your car

Sounds like he's saying Italians stink.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is looking I saw this pop up on the DC/VA/MD area Craigslist recently:

http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/4946183496.html

Not mine, I just happened to notice it.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gypsyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody have any build threads on converting a t34 into a convertible? idk if i suck but i cant seem to find anything other than the fact that t34 convertibles were pretty much prototypes that barely got a release, so theyre extremely rare. well instead i would like to see how a conversion is done.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why there isn't much about converting a T34 Coupe into a Cabriolet ... not many have done it and even fewer have documented their work. There are 6 originals from 1963, a dozen Lorenz conversions, & about 15 private conversions that have been done. All I can find are photos of the end results, not the build process. But I can share my story.

I converted my 1962 by taking it to a Carson-top specialty shop. They strengthened the sills underneath the rocker panels by welding a 1.5" x 0.75" steel beam to prevent the body collapsing on itself. They cut the roof off and modified the windshield frame to look like one of the originals. Then they modified the rear area by adding a 0.25" lip at the top to keep water out. Cost was an unbelievable $800 for the metal work & $700 for the removable hardtop frame. It's been 15 years since the work & I've driven 15K miles. Doors still have the same gaps & there have been no signs of failure so far.

I didn't have a metal folding top made, as the shops I contacted said they'd try but wouldn't guarantee the fit or shape and the cost would be $6K. Tram has a working metal top on his 1966 T34, so hopefully he will share his experiences. Jason Weigel is having Tram convert his 1964 as well.

When I had the interior upholstery done, I asked the guy to make a top boot cover with padding & bumps to look like there was a folded-down top frame underneath. Came out OK.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_cb92c29b8...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_355c8bc27...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_b4d073212...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_33ebb093d...00_jpg_srb

If you want to see more detailed info & photos from start to finish, check out my web site on Ruby. It's still under construction but has enough to show you what I've done.
http://leehedges.wix.com/rubyt341962cabriolet
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsyone wrote:
does anybody have any build threads on converting a t34 into a convertible? idk if i suck but i cant seem to find anything other than the fact that t34 convertibles were pretty much prototypes that barely got a release, so theyre extremely rare. well instead i would like to see how a conversion is done.

Pretty straightforward. Cut off roof, fill and patch open metal, and strengthen the floorpan (chassis). I've seen Lee Hedges car up close and personnel and have plans to make one myself in the future
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gypsyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
There's a reason why there isn't much about converting a T34 Coupe into a Cabriolet ... not many have done it and even fewer have documented their work. There are 6 originals from 1963, a dozen Lorenz conversions, & about 15 private conversions that have been done. All I can find are photos of the end results, not the build process. But I can share my story.

I converted my 1962 by taking it to a Carson-top specialty shop. They strengthened the sills underneath the rocker panels by welding a 1.5" x 0.75" steel beam to prevent the body collapsing on itself. They cut the roof off and modified the windshield frame to look like one of the originals. Then they modified the rear area by adding a 0.25" lip at the top to keep water out. Cost was an unbelievable $800 for the metal work & $700 for the removable hardtop frame. It's been 15 years since the work & I've driven 15K miles. Doors still have the same gaps & there have been no signs of failure so far.

I didn't have a metal folding top made, as the shops I contacted said they'd try but wouldn't guarantee the fit or shape and the cost would be $6K. Tram has a working metal top on his 1966 T34, so hopefully he will share his experiences. Jason Weigel is having Tram convert his 1964 as well.

When I had the interior upholstery done, I asked the guy to make a top boot cover with padding & bumps to look like there was a folded-down top frame underneath. Came out OK.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_cb92c29b8...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_355c8bc27...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_b4d073212...00_jpg_srb
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d0f1e7_33ebb093d...00_jpg_srb

If you want to see more detailed info & photos from start to finish, check out my web site on Ruby. It's still under construction but has enough to show you what I've done.
http://leehedges.wix.com/rubyt341962cabriolet

removable hard top is way better than what i had in mind
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 34s at the Petersen Auto Museum yesterday

Good catching up with Ivan Pang, Karl and Sheryl Schmidt, Chemo Ordaz, Dave Aveson, and Andy Kimball.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened at the Petersen Museum?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was their annual VW cruise-in. A little 2-hour Sunday morning VW gathering. First one I've gone to -- it was nice in a low-key no drama kind of way, and close to home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 60

Jump to: